Sign in with
Your question

Ghost in the Machine, Mysterious Boot Up

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2011 11:36:36 PM

Mysterious boot up

While most often people have an issue with there computer not booting up, I have the exact opposite problem.

When I shut down my PC, it will fully shut down all the way. But somehow it will automatically boot back up on it's own 5, 10 minutes after I shut it off. This is totally out of the blue and hasn't happened since it's build, 8 months ago, but just in the last few days. The only recent change as of late was an update to the integrated NIC driver on the MB. One cause could be the Wake on LAN option in the BIOS, but it's turned off.

I have an MSI X58 Pro- E MB, and a Corsair 850TX PSU.

No pets, no other people and no ghosts in my apartment that I am aware of.

Does anyone have any ideas at what to take a look at? Or should I find a paranormal investigator?
April 11, 2011 5:55:08 PM

Have you tried unplugging certain things like the ethernet cable,keyboard,mouse while its off to see if they are causing it?
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 6:00:04 PM

Make sure the wire stemming from your power button to the motherboard is hooked up correctly. If you're physically shutting it down, then nothing (not the motherboard, not the hardrive, not anything) will cause it to turn on but the start button :p  haha So make sure your power button to motherboard wires are hooked up properly. Also if your reset wire and your power wire are separated or split, don't plug in the reset button and see if that helps any.
If you only have a power button then unhook that after your pc shuts off, if the issue ends with the power wire unhooked, then you've isolated your issue :p  I'm not suggesting you unplug the power wire everytime, but do it for a few days before you go to bed to see if your pc is on in the morning :p 
m
l
April 11, 2011 7:43:16 PM

A few days ago right after I first posted this thread, I did notice a new USB port plate that simply just connects to the MB and takes up a back slot in the case was mis plugged in the MB's USB connector. So I corrected that, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe because of that mismatch connection on the MB as causing it".
But when I woke up this mourning, my computer was on. But not the nightbe forr, or the nightbe forr.

I'm starting winerner if the are middle of the night black outs or power spikes that may trigger it on. There is an option in the BIOS for boot at powinterruptupt or something. That too is turned off.

My pconnectorecter on thhaven'tavn't changed in many months, with MSI they make them stupid proof and super easy to make the wires from the case connected to the MB. But I'll try experimenting with them.

Also, my MB has it's on on board reset andbuttonsbottons on it. Perhaps there is something going on with those bridgarchy arche. Just a thought.

But the mystery continues. If there amysterioussteriouse power ups with other things in the house, than I will have to suspect that my apartment is hauntehaven't I havn't seen that yet.
m
l
April 11, 2011 7:53:47 PM

jonainpdx said:
A few days ago right after I first posted this thread, I did notice a new USB port plate that simply just connects to the MB and takes up a back slot in the case was mis plugged in the MB's USB connector. So I corrected that, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe because of that mismatch connection on the MB as causing it".
But when I woke up this mourning, my computer was on. But not the nightbe forr, or the nightbe forr.

I'm starting winerner if the are middle of the night black outs or power spikes that may trigger it on. There is an option in the BIOS for boot at powinterruptupt or something. That too is turned off.

My pconnectorecter on thhaven'tavn't changed in many months, with MSI they make them stupid proof and super easy to make the wires from the case connected to the MB. But I'll try experimenting with them.

Also, my MB has it's on on board reset andbuttonsbottons on it. Perhaps there is something going on with those bridgarchy arche. Just a thought.

But the mystery continues. If there amysterioussteriouse power ups with other things in the house, than I will have to suspect that my apartment is hauntehaven't I havn't seen that yet.

Hmm maybe it IS a ghost :p  haha
m
l
!