Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Case ground wire

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2011 11:56:54 PM

I was looking at this review for the Antec 300: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_nXwX_EzU

At around 3:40 he shows a ground wire built into the case.

I thought the computer was grounded through the PSU. Why does a case need a separate ground wire? Do all cases have this?

More about : case ground wire

a c 87 ) Power supply
April 8, 2011 1:45:55 AM

I watched the video. Nice case! You are right about the ground wire in the Antec case. It is included just as a redundancy, to make sure that the case is properly grounded. Just additional precaution. It is possible that plastic parts may be sandwiched between metal parts.

And no, all cases do not have a separate ground wire. Most cases rely on the 3-prong grounded power connection to the PSU to serve as grounding for the computer. Much like home appliances like mixers, blenders, etc.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 8, 2011 2:32:29 AM

If I had to guess I would start with possibly/probably the steel is coated (anti-corrosion) and not passing ground in all places or the rivets used might not be secure enough to pass a proper ground. I didn't see where that ground wire goes to on the other end thou because usually multiple ground paths can cause issues. This is called a ground loop in electronics.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2011 2:30:11 AM

Ok, thanks guys.

So it seems that there is not a huge risk if you don't have a ground wire? (as long as you prevent any electric components from touching the case.)

m
l

Best solution

a c 87 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 12:23:41 PM

unpro said:
Ok, thanks guys.

So it seems that there is not a huge risk if you don't have a ground wire? (as long as you prevent any electric components from touching the case.)

It works in a different way too. You are the source of static electricity. When the case is properly grounded, the static charge bypasses the computer components and is safely discharged through the grounding. Within the case, as many components as possible can be and should be touching, but the ground should be only at one point. More info here and elsewhere: http://siber-sonic.com/electronics/GLoopwhatis.html
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 12:59:23 PM

The case ground wires for my Antec 900 cases come from the front panel jack assembly.
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 2:08:28 PM

jsc said:
The case ground wires for my Antec 900 cases come from the front panel jack assembly.

Yes, that's the most likely place a person would repeatedly touch (insertion of USB devices). Good thinking on Antec's part!
m
l
April 9, 2011 6:05:35 PM

Best answer selected by unpro.
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 8:00:12 PM

Thank you!
m
l
!