Sign in with
Your question

I need HALP

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
January 12, 2011 11:04:49 PM

This is my first build EVAR. I am not new to PCs or the interwebs, but I am totally new to building a machine.

I have $1200 bucks to spend on a rig that I will be able to ooze over graphics while playing SC2, BFBC2, COD, Etc...

I've been doing some research and I'm thoroughly confused. :-( :cry: 

I know that these forums are not necessarily for this type of arrangement, but honestly, I just want a custom built rig that I know will work (without my meddling in it's construction, I suck at it!).. a pre-built offer from a site would be great.. if I knew what was even looking at/reading.

I'm not asking for a custom one built just for me- but are there any links/builds articles on here that you guys recommend?

THANK YOU ALL! VERY INFORMATIVE!!!

More about : halp

Anonymous
January 12, 2011 11:08:51 PM

I want to stress that i've looked at everything, and it's overwhelming.

I know that I want incredible graphics, over clocking, etc

i like black and blue neon stuff..
January 12, 2011 11:30:58 PM

Ok, dont really have a lot of time right now but I'll throw something together...

i5 2500k motherboard
ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte motherboard (1155 socket)
Samsung Spinpoint f3 1tb
750w power supply (for upgrades. 80+ certified, antec, seasonic, xfx, corsair, etc.)
noctua nhd14 cpu cooler for overclocking (not 100% sure its compatible with 1155)
any $20 disk drive
windows 7 64 bit
any case you like. I like the HAF 912/922 because it has good cooling. I also like the NZXT lexa S.
for neon stuff, look at some cold cathodes.
For graphics, if your not looking to upgrade later, get two 460's. Otherwise, get a 6970/570/580 and put another in later.
Not sure what all that adds up to, but it should be less then $1200.

I would really reccomend you build it yourself. Its not hard. I taught my 9 year old little brother how to (now I would NEVER let him do it by himself) and he can do it. Theres plenty of threads on here that can help you with building it.
Related resources
January 12, 2011 11:49:39 PM

Quote:
This is my first build EVAR. I am not new to PCs or the interwebs, but I am totally new to building a machine.

I have $1200 bucks to spend on a rig that I will be able to ooze over graphics while playing SC2, BFBC2, COD, Etc...

I've been doing some research and I'm thoroughly confused. :-( :cry: 

I know that these forums are not necessarily for this type of arrangement, but honestly, I just want a custom built rig that I know will work (without my meddling in it's construction, I suck at it!).. a pre-built offer from a site would be great.. if I knew what was even looking at/reading.

I'm not asking for a custom one built just for me- but are there any links/builds articles on here that you guys recommend?

THANK YOU ALL! VERY INFORMATIVE!!!

I'm sort of in your shoes. Been buying dells for years and fed up with the unupagradability. I want to build my own but still have a few questions that not sure of. My second opition on a prebuit is FOX Technologys. So far they look very good. I have been emailing them with questions on a build. They have a good build for $1200. Just my 2 cents here.

http://www.foxteknology.com/
January 13, 2011 2:35:59 AM

I would NOT buy one of those computers. They are charging you about double what the computer is worth.
Anonymous
January 13, 2011 3:19:21 AM

these are all really bad ass responses- i'll do some more research and post up what i've found.. meanwhile- if any body else out there would like to offer their two cents, then i'm all ears..!
Anonymous
January 14, 2011 8:27:45 AM

okay, after doing some more research, I've compiled my original post into something more legible:

Approximate Purchase Date: IMMEDIATELY

Budget Range: US $1,000-1,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (FPS+RTS+Flight)

Parts Not Required: Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Prefer Newegg for the combo deals, but willing to shop around for the absolute best deal on the part

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Prefer EVGA NVIDIA gfx card for the "step-up" plan that they have available, intel i7 2500k and intel p67 mobo 1155 socket "sandy bridge" combo deal on newegg, and 1000w Antec psu - need suggestions on cooler and case (I've been recommended Lian Li.. any good? I like the HAF that you pointed out earlier too)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: In the future
!