Asus p8z68 deluxe gen3 VGA led no post

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi guys ! Having a hard time here. Running an i72700k on this board. Using g.skill sniper series 1600 1.6v. Gtx 275 and Roseville 1000watt supply. VGA led stays on and so I tried changing graphics card, still stayed on until I changed ram to 1.5v . Can my boardnot handle 1.6v ram?

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Sorry, its a pain in the ass typing on this touchpad since no computer. Oh right I forgot to mention that even when my gtx 275 is inserted, and I use the 1.5v ram, it still won't show display. I've read on a couple other forums about not getting enough power to gpu but I have 1000 watt PSU. So if I am able to set the ram speed I'll be able to use my gskill sniper series ram at 1.6v ? Btw thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
UPDATE: So moving some more stuff around, I decided to use an old graphics card I had from another computer a while back. This card actually posted which then leads me to the conclusion that the Motherboard is not the issue here...perhaps. Does anyone know if GTX 275 is compatible with this z68 chipset or does that have nothing to do with it? Going back and forth here, my Graphics card was working 10 minutes before i swapped boards and I was grounded so I couldn't have shocked it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Do you think my graphics card is dead?? Also the old card works MOST of the time. Other times it also hangs on the VGA LED light. I just swapped out my mobo for another one and still same issues. What's going on?!?! X___x

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
it would help if you explained the situation with a little more detail. some facts that would help to clarify your situation such as: was this a working computer at one time? or you were building this computer and haven't been able to get it to work yet? are you able to get into the bios, but not able to get into windows? are you getting to the post screen at all? etc.

you are using an old video card which works sometimes? what does this mean? it works meaning you can boot into windows? or what?

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ah! Sorry let me start from beginning.
P8z68 Deluxe Gen3
CPU :i7- 2700k
Ram: G.Skill Sniper 1600 DDR3
GPU: GTX 275
HDD: Hitachi 1TB 3gb/s 7200
PSU: Rosewill 1000 watt

So yes, this is a first build with this board. I already had the GTX 275 and decided I wanted to use it with this build. Initial boot no post. Tried swapping out ram with old ram which uses lower voltage and still no luck. Then tried old card and it booted to BIOS. Used this card to install windows to my drive and then decided to try and switch back to GTX 275. Still no luck. BTW old card doesn't require power like the GTX.

And yes it works sometimes (the old card i mean). Example sometimes when I boot it with a USB Dynex Keyboard plugged in, the VGA LED would come on and no post, but if I take out the USB keyboard it'll display. If I hit the reset button on my case, sometimes it would hang on the VGA LED also and no post until I acutally have to shut down and turn back on.

So basically, the computer can post with old card that doesn't require power (most of the time) and doesn't post at all with GTX 275. the fan on my GTX 275 is spinning so I'm assuming it's getting enough power.
Thanks again!

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
True, I'm waiting on one in the mail. But even when keyboard isn't connected my GTX doesn't post. :/ No idea what the hell is going on. I was thinking about going to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up a GTX 560 and see if that works and if it doesn't then something is REALLY wrong. -__-

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
more than likely you have a bad motherboard, or you just screwed something up somewhere in the process. one thing that comes to mind, you said the other older video card will get the system to post....are you forgetting to put the pci-e plugs from the psu into the new video card maybe? heh. i really wouldn't bother going and buying another video card, the fact that your keyboard is having an effect on system post points to something else. more than likely you got a bad motherboard, or you just didn't install something at some point properly. did you try putting the video card in different slots on the motherboard?

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Well it can't be the motherboard because I swapped them out already. I returned it back to amazon for a replacement. Unless both motherboards are faulty, it might just be the whole series? Yeah I plug my GTX in with the PSU cables. I have no way of testing to see if the card still works or not.

I was planning on returning the card though lol. Just gonna buy it and try it out and see if it posts, if it does, then it's the card, if not...something else.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
the fact that your keyboard is having any effect, is a pretty good indication swapping more video cards is just going to be a waste of your time. did you try putting the card in one of the other slots on the motherboard? also did you try and boot with just 1 memory chip instead of 2?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
did you try removing the motherboard from the case and putting it on some non static material, then booting it? (no offense to anyone at geeksquad or staples, but the knowledge base on this web page is quite a bit more significant).

yugemonz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm not sure if the BIOS is flashed for the 2700k but if the computer boots with the other card, would that really be an issue? And with the motherboard, you mean put it on the anti-static plastic that the mobo came with boot it? I haven't tried that. Would that be different?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
hah works fine?? you said "it works sometimes". on top of the fact that the keyboard causes a negative system response. if i were in your shoes, i would get into the bios with the other card and disable like every non essential feature.