Starbase force surrender of captured ship w. low crew

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 5, 2005 12:32:19 PM

Can anyone help explain the rules that would affect the following
situation:

The Privateers captured a Lizard T-Rex. A few turns later, the T-Rex
(now in control of the Privateers) has plenty of fuel and is orbiting
over a Lizard planet with a Lizard starbase, and the ship's Primary
Mission is "Kill". The T-Rex only has a crew of 52.

The following turn instead of the T-Rex attacking the planet, the T-Rex
surrendered to the the starbase!

What causes this to happen?
May 5, 2005 1:38:04 PM

But I thought "force a surrender" would only work if the ship was out
of fuel?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:10:21 PM

Op 2005-05-05, spencer@afnleasing.com schreef <spencer@afnleasing.com>:
> But I thought "force a surrender" would only work if the ship was out
> of fuel?

No. The Phost docs say (and I highly doubt there is a difference with
host at this point):

#####
Starbase Mission 6 - Force Surrender

The starbase will attempt to lower the shields of enemy ships in
orbit, in order to take them over. A ship will surrender if it fulfils
one of these conditions:

* It has a matching friendly code. This does not apply to ships
which are doing Super Spy (or one of the replacement missions), those
are immune to this. As soon as they change their missions, they'll be
vulnerable again.
* It has no fuel.
#####

So when you capture a ship you should always change the friendly code
to prevent this.

There might be other explanations of why this happened, but this seems
the most simple.

"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim." - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:02:25 PM

On 5 May 2005 08:32:19 -0700, "spencer@afnleasing.com"
<spencer@afnleasing.com> wrote:

>The Privateers captured a Lizard T-Rex. A few turns later, the T-Rex
>(now in control of the Privateers) has plenty of fuel and is orbiting
>over a Lizard planet with a Lizard starbase, and the ship's Primary
>Mission is "Kill". The T-Rex only has a crew of 52.
>The following turn instead of the T-Rex attacking the planet, the T-Rex
>surrendered to the the starbase!>
>What causes this to happen?
Most likely it had the same FC as the planet, and the base was set to
force surrender.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:07:00 AM

On 5 May 2005 09:38:04 -0700, "spencer@afnleasing.com"
<spencer@afnleasing.com> wrote:

>But I thought "force a surrender" would only work if the ship was out
>of fuel?
No. Read more at
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/help/starbases.htm#forces...;
Donovan's pages are quite helpful if you aren't familiar with them
already.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:43:22 PM

Hi,

> No. The Phost docs say (and I highly doubt there is a difference with
> host at this point):

Slightly: most special friendly codes match concerning starbase surrender.

> #####
> Starbase Mission 6 - Force Surrender
>
> The starbase will attempt to lower the shields of enemy ships in
> orbit, in order to take them over. A ship will surrender if it fulfils
> one of these conditions:
>
> * It has a matching friendly code. This does not apply to ships
> which are doing Super Spy (or one of the replacement missions), those
> are immune to this. As soon as they change their missions, they'll be
> vulnerable again.
> * It has no fuel.
> #####
>
> So when you capture a ship you should always change the friendly code
> to prevent this.

Always! Thost has the (nasty?) habit to match certain special friendly
codes. E.g. if you'd orbit with a ship of yours a base of mine, I'd
immediately set the planetary FC=mkt and base-mission force-a-surrender.
Voila, I'd get a shiny new ship :) .
I know it works because I once lost a shiny nice MBR this way - and an
instantanious note of thanks from my enemy who now had an accelerated
fleet instead of having one of his ship towed to its doom :/ .

This won't work with phost though as "mkt" is considered special. But in
some cases I'd choose HYP as planetary FC ;)  or lfm, or... EEE or...
whatever.

Regards,
Ingo

--
Ingo von Borstel <newsgroups@planetmaker.de>
Public Key: http://www.planetmaker.de/ingo.asc

If you need an urgent reply, replace newsgroups by vgap.
!