Sign in with
Your question

Need help with wireless network setup linksys/xbox

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 15, 2010 7:54:22 PM

Hello, I recently moved to a new place and I am having a great difficulty in setting up my wireless network.

I am currently obtaining a wireless connection for my pc via a linksys wireless G- PCI adapter card. My pc also has an ethernet port "Atheros AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E Ethernet Controller"

I am attempting to plug in a linksys WRT54G into my ethernet port but I cannot seem to access any of the settings by typing 192.168.1.1, my main modem and router are upstairs with my landlord, I do not have physical access to them. So my connection right now is basically just tapping into his wireless network.

why is my router settings not coming up? I have ran an ethernet from my router port 1 to my pc, there is nothing in the "internet" port as my send is wireless.

I am attempting to use the second router for my xbox 360 for live. I also have an old xbox wireless adapter MN740 neither of which I seem to be able to set up. The xbox is not detecting either of these devices when plugging in their ethernet. I am not the most tech savvy when it comes to internet so any help would be greatly appreciated. I read something about turning it into a wireless bridge but i cant even get into the system settings of the router. Please help!
September 15, 2010 10:34:08 PM

hi..couldn't get a clear picture of your entire scenario..but from what i could make out of it your PC is having wireless internet access from your landlord's modem & router...my suggestion is that you check the ip address of the PC from the wireless connection and check if the ip address is in range of 192.168.1.x or any other range..though i'm not familiar with linksys products theres always a possibility of router's ip being in range of 192.168.0.x /10.0.0.x/172.16.0.x if thats the case u need the corresponding default gateway to login the router GUI...also try assigning a static ip in your xbox lan in the range of the router ip...that worked in a previously similar case to my friend...
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:13:47 AM

does this help at all?

connection specific dns suffix phub.net.cable.rogers.com
ip addy 192.168.0.164
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1

ethernet adapter local area connection:

connection specific dns suffix:
autoconfiguration IP adress 169.254.247.163
subnet mask 255.255.0.0
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2010 12:15:40 AM

also, putting 192.168.0.1 allows me to get to my landlord's router access page, but not the one I am connecting to my ethernet port.
m
l
September 16, 2010 6:41:05 PM

autoconfiguration IP adress 169.254.247.163
subnet mask 255.255.0.0
...that means the ip address is not obtained from the router..chk with a different ethernet cable or switching to any of the free LAN ports in the router...also check the ethernet adapter status from dev mgr
m
l
September 16, 2010 8:16:27 PM

I have tried with a different cable, and I have tried running directly from the ethernet to my xbox skipping the router completely and still nothing. When I activate sharing when the connection is enabled it says: "internet connection sharing cannot be enabled

A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing" my landlord's router access page is 192.168.0.1 so is that interfering with my connection?

according to internet sharing: When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?

does that mean that my landlord's router ip is interfering with my ethernet port?
m
l
!