Is it really important to install chipset drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

is it really important to install chipset drivers?

do chipset drivers have anything to do with gaming or graphics?

i already installed my video card drivers

also what is this usb filter?

Solution
I assume you're talking about doing BIOS updates, right? That actually updates the firmware on the chipset and CPU, both of which are critical for gaming (and all applications really).

However, my attitude is generally, don't touch it if it isn't broken. If you're encountering an issue, such as occasional freezing, then definitely update the BIOS. You never know, it might fix your problem. If your machine is running fine though, I wouldn't touch it.

Feldii

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I assume you're talking about doing BIOS updates, right? That actually updates the firmware on the chipset and CPU, both of which are critical for gaming (and all applications really).

However, my attitude is generally, don't touch it if it isn't broken. If you're encountering an issue, such as occasional freezing, then definitely update the BIOS. You never know, it might fix your problem. If your machine is running fine though, I wouldn't touch it.

Solution
G

im running windows 7 my board is a 870-g45

its

Description ATI System Drivers
Type System & Chipset Drivers

fellings

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
If you're encountering an issue, such as occasional freezing, then definitely update the BIOS.
g.gif

Jo3yization

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
is it really important to install chipset drivers?
do chipset drivers have anything to do with gaming or graphics?

Came across this old thread by accident and HAD to revive it to clarify the rather vague answers given that might confuse some inexperienced users.

Chipset drivers are responsible for controlling communication between various components in your system: the processor, the video card, the hard drives, PCI devices and system memory.

Keeping these drivers up to date is important - especially if you are experiencing generally sluggish system performance.

So yes, they are very important even though a system can 'seem fine' without them, odd issues like programs or games running poorly can be a symptom of missing chipset drivers. Usually your motherboard support>driver page will have them, but if you're running a AMD Ryzen CPU, you can download them directly from AMD too.

BIOS is your motherboard Firmware that runs before you even reach windows bootup, on very new PC hardware such as a freshly launched CPU or motherboard series bios updates will be more frequent as they fix bugs & optimize performance, so on a freshly built system it's worth checking bios version.
You can go to start & type 'dxdiag' or use a small program like CPU-Z to find the bios version under the mainboard tab along with useful information on the CPU & memory.

Then check if the website for your model & brand of motherboard have any important bios updates under the support>download section that mention compatibility or stability, otherwise it's best left alone unless there is a serious issue you are trying to troubleshoot, a new system crashing frequently can sometimes be a result of unstable ram or CPU compatibility, that a bios update can sometimes resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.