Sign in with
Your question

Custom PC - Motherboard won't POST: Black Screen

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2011 6:06:48 PM

I'm breadboarding(Installing components one at a time to test each before the build is complete.) a new PC that I'm building. When starting up I get a black screen on the monitor and the mobo won't POST. I also cannot turn the power off via the power button I have to shut off the PSU. I originally thought it was the CPU as I bought a used one from a friend. I just installed the new CPU and still have the same problem. Since I'm breadboarding I know it's not a grounding issue. I've also swapped out GPUs with one from another PC so I know it's not the GPU.

I did a compatibility check and the only part not listed on the Gigabyte spec sheet is the ram. The ram make is exactly the same as a listed component except the model number is different as I purchased a 16gb set where they only have an 8gb set listed. As the specs are exactly the same I didn't think that would be an issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

The only two problems I can think of are the PSU or the mobo. I'm leaning towards replacing the mobo at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte 970A-UD3
PSU - Corsair TX650
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3ghz
Ram - G.Skill F300CL9Q 16GB
GPU - Radeon HD 4870 X2

December 13, 2011 7:29:56 PM

This has been solved.

In case you are having a similar problem check to make sure you have your PSU plugged into the standard power supply on the mobo as well as the 12V supply next to the CPU.
!