• Nvidia
  • Monitors
  • Dell
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Displays
November 13, 2010 9:16:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I have a quick question about monitors. I've been doing some research about different types of monitors, and I'm currently stuck. The general consensus that I've seen is that TN monitors are better for FPS gaming, but IPS are better for graphics and design. The problem is, I do both. I currently have a Dell SE198WFP 19" monitor, and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Two choices I've found so far are the following.

Dell SP2309W, 23" TN monitor:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr...

Dell Ultrasharp U2211H 21.5" monitor
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr...

Also, I'm wondering if the high resolution of the 23" might be a bit much for my now 2.5 year old computer. Specs are as follows:

2.4 core 2 quad processor
Two Nvidia 8800GT (512mb) cards in SLi
4GB ram (only 3 used because I'm running XP)
1TB hard drive

So, I've read the 23" might be better for gaming, but not as good for graphic design. However, how much of an improvement would it be over my current monitor? If its "not as good" as an IPS, but still miles better than my current monitor, I think I may have to go with that one. But, if the difference is not that great, and the 21.5" has a good enough response time for FPS gaming, then I may go with that one.

So... which of these two would you recommended for a design student who loves FPS's... or is there another one that I haven't seen that blows both of these out of the water? If you have another suggestion, keep it under $300 since that's what I am working with.

Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : monitor upgrade suggestions wanted

November 14, 2010 1:59:25 AM

Is the color correctness very important in your graphic design work? Because it won't be as important for games.

Me? I love the higerh res and larger size of the DP23 but I don't do the design work and you have to make the decision based on what's the most important.
m
l
a c 161 Î Nvidia
a c 170 C Monitor
November 14, 2010 2:03:16 AM

My son is an avid gamer but minoring in photography in college. He met both needs with a U2410. Amazing color accuracy and it pays games just great.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2010 2:11:42 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
My son is an avid gamer but minoring in photography in college. He met both needs with a U2410. Amazing color accuracy and it pays games just great.

Now that is a good looking monitor!
m
l
November 14, 2010 2:24:40 AM

Well, the U2410 is a bit out of the price range.

Have any of you used the SP2309W enough to comment on the colors? Basically, I'm trying to figure out two things:

1) how much of an improvement the SP23 is from my current monitor?
2) Does the U2211H have too high of a response time for FPS gaming?
m
l
November 14, 2010 3:16:03 AM

Well, thats annoying... the $100 off deal on the SP23 ended tonight.

Any other suggestions for a 21-24" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher that are under $300?
m
l
November 14, 2010 8:49:41 AM

Dell U2410 for sure.
m
l
November 15, 2010 5:57:37 AM

Already said U2410 is out of the sub $300 price range I have to work within... any that fall under that price range?
m
l
November 15, 2010 6:27:58 AM

^^U2410 is S-IPS panel monitor. That is why it is expensive. But it does give you the complete satisfaction of doing imaging work on a PC. I agree that the 22"/23"/24" monitors would be too much for the 8800GT to handle. But all i can add is get even numbered screens like 22" or 24". I suggest you check out the Dell ST2410. It maybe withing your budget and is an excellent display.
m
l
November 15, 2010 7:00:56 AM

Since you are a student and you are starting off.... i would say stick to the TN panels for now and get an IPs panel later when you turn professional. But the 24 inch may be a lot for the 880GT to drive in gaming. Since you say you are happy with what you have right now, hold on to it for a while save a few more and get a GPU and monitor combo later.
m
l
November 16, 2010 8:46:32 PM

The monitor I have does work, but after using a laptop with a 1920x1200 resolution... 1440x900 is beginning to feel very cramped when using software like Photoshop or Indesign. Also, this is to put on a Christmas list... hence the low price range.

The Asus linked by ochho87 looks pretty nice. Has anyone else used that monitor, or a similar Asus model?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 208 C Monitor
November 17, 2010 12:03:24 AM

Lambo_Diablo said:

2) Does the U2211H have too high of a response time for FPS gaming?

Some people (avid gamers) will say "yes" while others will probably say "no".

If you are trying to buy a monitor that's good for both gaming and has good color accuracy for graphics design, then you will need to decide which is more important.

Since this is for a "design student who loves FPS" then I would suggest a TN panel monitor unless the professor states that color accuracy is very important. If you were a professional that's already working then the question would be:

What's more important to you? Your job or playing games?

Consider the Asus VK246H. It is a monitor that i have, but I only use it about 5 hours a month; maybe? I have IPS monitors as my primary displays. It is currently selling for $220 + free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is very similar the Asus VW246H, the only difference is the addition of a webcam. The "VW" is also selling for $220, but you need to add $9 of shipping charges.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

================================================
See my review of the Asus VK246H which can also be applied to the VW246H:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...

m
l
November 17, 2010 12:24:28 AM

Heh well, I don't think I can quite consider it my job yet... But, as long as the monitor has relatively accurate colors, It should be fine. Ghosting would be a major issue since I like games such as CoD4.

Now, which is better, since these two look almost the same...

The ASUS VK246H you suggested - $220
or
The ASUS VH242H I found above - $190

Only differences I see is a webcam, 3ms less response time, and a $30 price increase... Why must there be SO MANY MODELS of monitors to chose from! :ouch: 

Regardless, I feel unless something absolutely INCREDIBLE shows up, i'll likely end up with an ASUS as they seem to be pretty good all around. Now, it's just a matter of which ASUS I go with.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'm still open to other suggestions as well, so keep them coming if you have them. :) 
m
l
November 17, 2010 12:47:22 AM

Lambo_Diablo said:
Heh well, I don't think I can quite consider it my job yet... But, as long as the monitor has relatively accurate colors, It should be fine. Ghosting would be a major issue since I like games such as CoD4.

Now, which is better, since these two look almost the same...

The ASUS VK246H you suggested - $220
or
The ASUS VH242H I found above - $190

Only differences I see is a webcam, 3ms less response time, and a $30 price increase... Why must there be SO MANY MODELS of monitors to chose from! :ouch: 

Regardless, I feel unless something absolutely INCREDIBLE shows up, i'll likely end up with an ASUS as they seem to be pretty good all around. Now, it's just a matter of which ASUS I go with.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'm still open to other suggestions as well, so keep them coming if you have them. :) 

If I was the one buying, I would go for the one you found! It's even better than the one I suggested! 190$, free shipping, 10$ Rebate card!

As far as differences with the VK246H..I don't think 30$ (or 40$ if you factor in rebate card) is worth the webcam.. and frankly, 2ms or 5ms I don't think it really matters. I'm gaming on 5ms on my VW193DR and I find it pretty damn good! No issues so far. And if you're wondering about games like COD or other FPS, I just finished COD Black ops and it was a blast! No issues whatsoever (Too bad it's so short).

PS: I'm no graphic designer, just a gamer/programmer .. so maybe you might have higher priorities when it comes to image quality, but I am very content with my cheap value ASUS monitor!
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:59:20 AM

Have you considered Dell ST2410?
m
l