Input on New System - First Build

Im building my first system and wanted to know peoples input before I bought everything.

These are the components I was looking at:

Cooler Master HAF 932 - Case

Core i7-950 3.06GHz - Processor

GIGABYTE GA-X58A - Motherboard

CORSAIR 850TX 850W - Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 - Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 - Video Card

Western Digital 1.5TB 7200RPM - Hard Drive

ZALMAN ZM-CS4A - CPU Fan

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer - DVD Drive

Would you change anything?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about input system build
  1. Don't touch the LGA1366 CPUs right now. The newer LGA1155 i7s (Sandy Bridge) are out, and the boards are actually pretty cheap. It would be a HUGE mistake not to go with them. I should also point out that if you end up sticking with the i7-950, you'll need triple channel RAM. Look for a 3x2 GB kit. I've got some other changes as well.

CPU: i7-2600 $300
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 $190 (I think)

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. Lots faster, and likely cheaper per GB.

Case: I like the 932, but I like the 922 better. It's only a touch smaller (not in a dimension that matters), and it's significantly cheaper.

GPU: I really hate the 470. Instead, I'd go with the HD 6950 (which you can turn into a 6970 with a BIOS change). If you absolutely need CUDA (or other nVidia specific additions), then you're looking at the GTX 460 or GTX 570. They're a bit out of the budget range (the 460 is a lot cheaper, the 570 a bit more expensive), but the 470 isn't really a good option. If you go with the 570 or 6950, you can drop the PSU to a 750W model. If you're doing the 460, you can go all the way down to a 650W.

PSU: A great choice, but check out the XFX PSUs in the same wattage range. They'll probably be cheaper, but they're just as high efficiency and quality.

HSF: I'd go with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, since you've only listed a bracket.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems