Best WoW Graphics Card with I7-860, 1TB, 8GB........

JKGreene2014

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Im looking for a graphics card to run WoW with this set-up

Processor----- Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor1 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost2 Technology up to 3.46GHz (8MB Smart Cache)6
Operating System----- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)7
Memory -----8GB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1333MHz Memory (4 x 2048MB)8
Memory Capacity------- 4 DDR3 Slots Total (0 Slots Available)
Hard Drive------- 1TB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)4
Video------ ATI Radeon™ HD5770 Graphics card with 1GB of Discrete Video Memory8
Optical Drive ------16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Power Supply------ 500W Power Supply

My plan is to dual screen and my graphics gard dosnt have 2 DVI ports so I need a new one.

I was looking at the Radeon 5870 and the Nvidia 470 but i have seen people complaining about FPS problems so IDK but with my settup i play on High settings and have a 58-62 FPS.

Please give me some suggestions for new Graphic Cards. Thanks

I'd recommend the Nvidia 470 over the 5870 for your purposes. The ATi cards do not run dual monitors well. They tend to occationally flicker, and personally drove me nuts. The 470 on the other hand has no issues with dual displays.

WoW also performs better on Nvidia cards.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,743498/Geforce-GTX-480-and-GTX-470-reviewed-Fermi-performance-benchmarks/Reviews/?page=15

With the 470, you should be able to play with Ultra settings, except you probably will want to lower the shadows down 1 or 2 notches so a few of the more demanding areas don't slow down too much.

It's not the latency that causes the low FPS, it's the extra polygons of the city, and the players in places like Dalaran. Even logged in with nearly no people there, the FPS is low, it's the massive amount of stuff in the area that does it.

My point was mostly about the high end FPS shown, not how they perform in relation to each other. I agree Nvidia out performs ATi in WoW.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i'm pretty sure the internet variable will effect the fps in the larger cities, even if the area isnt congested at that particular time...the coding that is necessary becomes a variable in and of itself which can effect the frame rate in those areas regardless of the (video)hardware. that's how i understand it anyway, i have never coded an mmo though so i dont know for sure.

From my experience, I've never seen latency effect FPS. Even when I lose internet connection, my FPS always remained strong. What you may find is some players will stop moving, or bounce in odd ways, but frame rate always remains the same.