Sign in with
Your question

Best WoW Graphics Card with I7-860, 1TB, 8GB........

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2010 9:44:32 PM

Im looking for a graphics card to run WoW with this set-up

Processor----- Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor1 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost2 Technology up to 3.46GHz (8MB Smart Cache)6
Operating System----- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)7
Memory -----8GB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1333MHz Memory (4 x 2048MB)8
Memory Capacity------- 4 DDR3 Slots Total (0 Slots Available)
Hard Drive------- 1TB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)4
Video------ ATI Radeon™ HD5770 Graphics card with 1GB of Discrete Video Memory8
Optical Drive ------16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Power Supply------ 500W Power Supply

My plan is to dual screen and my graphics gard dosnt have 2 DVI ports so I need a new one.

I was looking at the Radeon 5870 and the Nvidia 470 but i have seen people complaining about FPS problems so IDK but with my settup i play on High settings and have a 58-62 FPS.

Please give me some suggestions for new Graphic Cards. Thanks
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:31:13 PM

I'd recommend the Nvidia 470 over the 5870 for your purposes. The ATi cards do not run dual monitors well. They tend to occationally flicker, and personally drove me nuts. The 470 on the other hand has no issues with dual displays.

WoW also performs better on Nvidia cards.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,743498/Geforce-GTX-4...

With the 470, you should be able to play with Ultra settings, except you probably will want to lower the shadows down 1 or 2 notches so a few of the more demanding areas don't slow down too much.
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:31:15 PM

can't you use a vga to DVI adapter? most video cards come with one and newegg sells them.

as for upgrades, the nvidia cards tend to have an advantage in WoW

m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:36:55 PM

ct1615 said:
can't you use a vga to DVI adapter? most video cards come with one and newegg sells them.

as for upgrades, the nvidia cards tend to have an advantage in WoW

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/images/wow_1920_1200.gif

I'm quite certain that's not with the WotLK expansion. Those FPS are way higher than people get these days. At least in the more demanding areas.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:44:54 PM

bystander said:
I'm quite certain that's not with the WotLK expansion. Those FPS are way higher than people get these days. At least in the more demanding areas.

then you are quite wrong

"Even though it has been released in 2004, Blizzard has always added incremental improvements to the graphics, especially with new expansions. One key success of World of Warcraft is that it will run on a large number of slower systems, but also delivers a decent graphics experience on high-end systems. We tested in DirectX 11 mode with details set to "Ultra"."

DX 11 is only available in the Cataclysm patch. while FPS may drop down in more demanding areas my point (and only point) was to show the increase of Nvidia FPS to similar priced ATI cards as I stated above "the nvidia cards tend to have an advantage in WoW "

test system
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz
(Bloomfield, 8192 KB Cache)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 Extreme
Intel X58 & ICH10R
Memory: 3x 2048 MB Mushkin Redline XP3-12800 DDR3
@ 1520 MHz 8-7-7-16
Harddisk: WD Caviar Black 6401AALS 640 GB
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:47:20 PM

Then they tested in an interestingly high FPS area. I know no one with comps of that setup who get anywhere near those FPS at those settings in Dalaran and in 25 man raids.

Even the OP says he gets 60ish FPS at high settings.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:52:50 PM

i highly doubt they would test anywhere near such highly populated areas, just too many variables that can affect FPS. more then likely they ran around un-populated servers & zones so the benchmarks focused on hardware rather then latency, connection, etc.,
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 10:56:32 PM

ct1615 said:
i highly doubt they would test anywhere near such highly populated areas, just too many variables that can affect FPS. more then likely they ran around un-populated servers & zones so the benchmarks focused on hardware rather then latency, connection, etc.,

It's not the latency that causes the low FPS, it's the extra polygons of the city, and the players in places like Dalaran. Even logged in with nearly no people there, the FPS is low, it's the massive amount of stuff in the area that does it.

My point was mostly about the high end FPS shown, not how they perform in relation to each other. I agree Nvidia out performs ATi in WoW.
m
l
November 14, 2010 12:34:49 AM

i'm pretty sure the internet variable will effect the fps in the larger cities, even if the area isnt congested at that particular time...the coding that is necessary becomes a variable in and of itself which can effect the frame rate in those areas regardless of the (video)hardware. that's how i understand it anyway, i have never coded an mmo though so i dont know for sure.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2010 4:05:33 AM

Frizzo said:
i'm pretty sure the internet variable will effect the fps in the larger cities, even if the area isnt congested at that particular time...the coding that is necessary becomes a variable in and of itself which can effect the frame rate in those areas regardless of the (video)hardware. that's how i understand it anyway, i have never coded an mmo though so i dont know for sure.

From my experience, I've never seen latency effect FPS. Even when I lose internet connection, my FPS always remained strong. What you may find is some players will stop moving, or bounce in odd ways, but frame rate always remains the same.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2010 4:44:18 AM

i have. if my latency goes into the red, my FPS will go down.
m
l
April 6, 2011 1:22:00 AM

How would a 9500 do on WoW with 1920 x 1200 res?
m
l
!