CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hey guys, my friend just gave me a Q6600 last month, and i used on build. buy my electric bill just got doubled,

i tried to disable CMT, now CPU-Z only detecs 3 Cores. if i set Windows to just use 2 Cores, will the power consumption of the CPU would decrease?

Solution

Below is information on Meralco Account Typs and Billing.

It seems that for basic accounts the graduation is 0-50KW (50% Discount), 51 to 70KW(35% Discount), 71 to 100KW(20% Discount).... Anything above 100KW is not subsidize or discounted. Form 70KW to 100KW you are paying 80% of cost. Above 100KW you lose the 20%...
I find it hard to believe that a Q6600 would cause your electricity bill to double. A small refrigerator uses about 400w - 500w of power and it runs 24/7.

Assuming you also run your PC 24/7, that would mean the Q6600 also uses 400w - 500w of power. That much power would fry the CPU in an instant.

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's something else which has caused your power bill to double. Computers don't use all that much maybe about 100w at idle, which is the same as one of the old lightbulbs

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
well i use my computer for 18hours a day, and 24 hours for like 7 times a month.

my old CPU was a E7400.

i only have a electric fan and a Computer in my house. no fridge or whatsoever.

so im certain that its the Computer. my old bill was like 700php when i was using the E7400. when i used the Q6600 my bill ranges to 1300-1600php. yes if you converted it to USD its probably like $32 but that's a big deal for me since im kinda unemployed.

right now, like i said i disabled CMT, with that my cores became 3 only. does that mean that the fourth core is disabled or just idle? then i change my OS settings (msconfig) to just use 2 cores. so i guess that the third core is still alive but its just not being used so its just idle right?

well do you think the CPU now would consume like a core2duo now or near the power consumption of a core2duo now?

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
yep, C1E, EIST are enabled.

well im pretty sure its the CPU.

since i have my PC turned on most of the time. the increase in consumption would really be felt.

well do you think the CPU now would consume like a core2duo now or near the power consumption of a core2duo now?

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
CPU temp is 30-36C, i have a Xigmatek Dark Knight Cooler..

my old bill was 700php, when i used the Q6600, my bill became 1345php, then 1592php.

I will try to buy a watt meter in a Ace Hardware in a Local Mall here in our country.

well again, do you think that by disabling the 1 core by CMT and using only 2 cores via MSConfig should help decrease the CPU's power consumption.

i asked LanShop (Internet Cafe) owners near our house, and he said the same. he downgraded also from quad core to dual core. his power consumption gone up. and isn't really good for his business.

leon2006

Distinguished
Its more accurate the compare the KilowWatt-Hour Consumption per Month than the actual bill. Electric Bills are scaled to different rates as you hit different consumption levels.

The KiloWatt-Hour is the actual power consumption. That's what you should compare not the money. At higher scale the php/kilowatt-hour is higher. Here in the US its the same. There is a higher $/KiloWatt-Hour after a certain level of consumption is hit.

Using HW-Monitor will allow you to compare the actual consumption of your PC.

If you don't have CPU intensive application that use all the CORES @ 100% most of the time this CPU's are in idle mode and consumes less electricity.

If you are spending more time with your PC also consider your Monitor/Display which can consume bet 20Watts to 90Watts depending on its size.

Again measure the actual power consumption... Look at your electric bill (i.e. From Meralco) and check the details.

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
@iam2thecrowe.

probably you don't live in a 3rd world country. here in our country there are 30% of the population that don't have refrigerators. well i can buy one. but i can live without it. since i live in the province. i can buy fresh fish and meat in the market and thats better rather than frozen foods.

i live in the philippines.

so if you don't have something important to say shut up. (no offense)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
^ you can attribute it to gas prices, too. i'm from the philippines as well and i don't own a fridge at least on the apartment where i live in (but got one on the main house), more like a forward command base/proxy barracks, i usually eat out, and i suck at cooking.

look at your power bill. if your consumption did double (kw/month, it's there with a graph), then more likely the q6600 is the culprit.

you can't compare energy prices from different countries. and i believe a q6600 does consume twice the amount of energy than a wolfdale.

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
yeah bro, my power consumption indeed go up.

from 93Kwh, it became like 109 on the next month. then the following month it also rises because i used the PC for like 24 hrs for 13 days.

i'm just asking if the thing i done which Disable the CMT then set the OS to use 2 cores only would show at least decrease in power consumption. its just temporary. im planning on getting a SB Build probably a Core i3 2100.

leon2006

Distinguished

93KW to 109 KW is a small change. You must be on a limit where there is a a change in rate. Your power consumption did not double. It added ~ 16KW-Hr for the month. Its not that big.

The change of rate where electricity is more expensive is @ 95KW-Hr or 100KW-hr. It should be on your electric bill check it out.

What you can do is when you get close to the KiloWatt-Hr that you have to pay higher per KiloWatt-Hr then slow down or cut down on your usage.

Electricity in your country is more expensive here in the US. Track your usage and slow down when you get close to a higher rate.

Read your electric bill to understand how you are being billed. Be smart with your usage.

Mabuhay Kaibigan

leon2006

Distinguished

No need for this... Stay focus with the subject and you will get help from the right people who understand your situation.

Stay with the subject until you get the correct answer or resolution to help you out

leon2006

Distinguished

Below is information on Meralco Account Typs and Billing.

It seems that for basic accounts the graduation is 0-50KW (50% Discount), 51 to 70KW(35% Discount), 71 to 100KW(20% Discount).... Anything above 100KW is not subsidize or discounted. Form 70KW to 100KW you are paying 80% of cost. Above 100KW you lose the 20% discount on per Php/KW-Hr charge. Its a full price @ >100KW-hr

As i have stated ... Your consumption did not double. You cross level of comsumption that has different billing rates.

Understand your usage and to manage your electric bill. This has nothing to do with your Q6600. Be smart with your usage of electricity. Manage your consumption.

If you stay within 100KW-Hr per month your bills will always be discounted (refer to the table)

http://www.meralco.com.ph/consumercare/bill.html

Solution

CryptX

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
alright, thanks Leon2006.

understand it now.

@others
i would sell this Q6600 when i got the money for my Core i3 2100 build. i have disposed my e7400 already.