New CML174SXW User

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Hello all,
i'm writing this post on my new hitachi cml174. i finally found it in barcelona, and i must say it looks great.
but...
DEAD PIXELS or SUBPIXELS! i have 3 color pixels, two of them are really annoying when on dark backgrounds... i knew i could have a dead pixel if i had bad luck, but three...
can i do anything about it? reseller isn't changing it for another one (i called today, the same day of purchase! ) ... my only hope is hitachi itself... can i be optimistic here? can i send it to them with this excuse and pretend i'll get another one back?

thanks! =)
kyuss.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kyuss on 01/23/03 02:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
btw...
how can i know how many subpixels are dead? i mean, at least i have three pixels wrong with this screen, but each pixel is 3 subpixels, isn't it?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kyuss on 01/23/03 02:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yes each pixel is made of 3 sub pixels. Display a white background if the pixel in question shows a color that means one of the three sub pixels is bad. A bad pixel three consecutive sub pixels is extremely rare.

The monitor test at this link may help.

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
kyuss

If the bad sub pixels bother you that much...and You are 1 day after sale...what is the reseller's return policy. I purchased mine from monitorsdirect.com and they sell everything with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Hopefully, you have at least 7 days...if that is the case, return it.

Bob

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
thanks to you both for your reply =)
i've just used the test and i i have 3 subpixels dead. one is locked at'off' position. the other 2, the most annoying ones are locked at'on' position.
i think i can get used to it, but these things are not cheap and it makes me ungry to think i have so bad luck.
@bobmitch, i tried to phone them and they say there is nothing they can do, 'cos this risk comes with lcd's, and they are not changing it for me.
i don't know what to do... at this point i was thinking of 3 options: 1-. keep it and get used to it. 2-. phone hitachi and tell them to change it to me because 2 of the 3 subpixels are really annoying 3-. phone hitachi and tell them my monitor has random power problems, and wish they change it without testing much.
well, thanks again =)
cheers,
kyuss.

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
That is a call only YOU can make. My reply was really for you to contemplate returning it and perhaps finding another vendor with a better sales policy. Even in the States, Best Buy and CompUSA give you 14 days to return or 30 to exchange. Sounds like your reseller is quite unflexible. Perhaps you should return it and search elsewhere...or is the reseller the only one with the Hitachi. What about the Planar panel mentioned in some other threads.

Bob