Sign in with
Your question

Very Frustrated, Need To Set Up Basic Home Network

Last response: in Networking
December 12, 2004 11:05:16 PM

If anyone can help me with this, I'll be VERY helpful.

First of all, I have a Windows XP PC that is my Wife's, and my computer is a dual boot between Windows XP and Fedora Core 3.

From this point forward, we will refer to my pc as "JPC" and my wife's as "WPC".

The first thing I want to do is get my Windows Network to behave. (Meaning JPC is botted into XP, so both PC's on the router are using Windows XP). If I have Sygate Personal Firewall disabled, my Windows Network is absolutely perfect. If I enable it on either PC, it won't work at all.

The first thing I did was go into advanced rules on Sygate, on both PCs, and added each computer's IP address and clicked allow. This worked for one reboot, then it would stop. Then, I would have to edit the IP, whatever Windows decided it should be at that moment, then it would work. Again, I reboot, and the network is gone. (Have to add the IP's again inside Sygate).

This got so annoying, I broke down and allowed 192.168.0.1 - 255.255.255.255. This worked flawlessly for a week, now it stopped working again. Figuring that allowing EVERY Ip address breaks the meaning of a firewall, I uninstalled Sygate completely and am just using the stock XP firewall on both. I don't get it. I want Sygate, but I don't want it to break my network.

(In case you were wondering, the Windows network is used for simple file sharing, one shared folder on each mapped to drive B on each).

Anyway, the above is situation #1.
----------------------------------------------------
Situation #2

When JPC is logged into Fedora Core 3, (WPC is Windows only) WPC can see JPC, but access is completely denied. JPC under Fedora Core 3 has a folder shared. (/home/jeremy/Documents/Shared) I want everyone, on either PC, regardless of username, to access this shared directory and be allowed 500MB, full read and write access. But no, Samba doesn't want me to. There is a Folder shared, and the workgroup name is the same on Samba as it is on WPC, what gives? (Yes, I did enable read/write access to said shared folder).
-------------------------
Scenario #3

When JPC is logged into Linux, I want to go to WPC and login under my own screen name, and then I want My Documents to be my home folder on JPC. HOW?

Again, ANY help would be appreciated.

BTW, if I give each Windows XP installations their own static IP, wouldn't that break my cable internet connection that needs to be able to get the IP automatically?
December 13, 2004 3:12:53 AM

Solution to situation #1:
Assign static IP to the computers. If you have a router the router is getting the dhcp ip from the internet provider. You can do what ever you want behind the router. Your ip on each machine keeps changing because the dhcp on the router is assigning you a new one very often. You must have the lease time very low or something, usually dhcp ips on small networks stay put for quite a while.

I can't help ya w/ your other 2 situations, I'm no linux guru yet :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 13, 2004 11:24:46 AM

Im assuming you are using DHCP (your router is assigning your computers IP address'). This means that each time you boot up your computer it gets an IP address that may be different from the one it had before (which is why the IP addys you entered with your firewall become invalid). Your firewall should allow you to make an entire IP range allowed. With your computers you will prob want 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0 allowed. This is what I have done with my zone alarm firewall.

Quote:

BTW, if I give each Windows XP installations their own static IP, wouldn't that break my cable internet connection that needs to be able to get the IP automatically?

Your router is assigned your external IP address, it then forwards the relevant information onto the computer on your network that has requested it. So giving your computers a static IP address will not effect your cable connection at all.
Related resources
December 13, 2004 7:24:20 PM

I understand what you guys are saying now, is it under TCP/IP that I set the static IP Addresses?

It may be easier to allow an entire range, but if I allow everything from 192 through 255, what would be stopping Joe hacker with an IP in that range from hacking me?

I know that I have tried this, the IP range, and it still won't work with the firewall installed. I think that one of the services required for the home network, my wife may have clicked deny access by mistake. Under sygate, what is internal network trafic named?
December 13, 2004 8:13:43 PM

If your router is assigning a 192.168.0.x address just unblock 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254. Those are the only usable addresses for that subnet.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 14, 2004 2:31:40 AM

The IP range 192.168.0.1 is reserved for computers on a network. Rember the IP adress of your router is the only one visible to the outside world, and this address will only send data to your computer if your computer requests it (or if port forwarding is enabled of your computer is on a DMZ).
!