Windows 2000 freezes when Phone Rings!!!

G

my computer (win2k) freezes whenever the telephone rings. i have a dial up conection to the internet. When i am not even on the internet, i could be playing a game or anything(offline) and then the phone will ring and my computer freeze at the same time. it happened many times. it never happened with any other OS!

The only person who does not stand a chance is the person who will not take one!

G

Two suggestions (may or may not work, but something to try).

1. Make sure you have the most updated drivers for the card.

2. Unless you are expecting someone to dial up to your machine, make sure you turn off the ability of the modem to pick up the phone - it's probably called 'auto answer' or something like that.

I would try that and see if it does any good for you.

Head

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In your system's BIOS, check to see if you have wake on Lan or PCI modem enabled and also check to see if you have power up on external modem activity enabled. If they are enabled, try disabling them.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
i bet you have a creative sound card..they do not like other audio sources. (chk with creative)

that or you have an irq conflict --make sure your system is fully acpi compatible.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
As a troubleshooter all these things come to mind: Wake on modem support, dialup server, 3rd party app like fax software picking up the phone, creative sound conflicts etc etc.

The fact is that this problem is frickin hilarious. Just listen to it..."Windows 2000 freezes when Phone Rings!!!" ROFLMFAO

I just get this image of Homer Simpson sitting in front of a PC...hears the phone ring. D'oh!! Gets that grimaced look and slaps his forhead.

Ring!! D'oh!!!!

Sorry it's just funny.

G

easy..just unplug the line from ur modem to ur phone
modem always has two holes.one for connection to internet and one to telephone..this means everytime a person dials in, it has to go through the modem, just unplug the phone from modem whenever u r not online