Sign in with
Your question

Can you upgrade celron 900 cpu in a ei system laptop

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2011 4:33:05 PM

i find my celron 900 cpu cant handle much and would like to put an amd athlon dual core or something more capable than the celron,i do understand everything has to be compatible and a cpu in a laptop are not easy to change,any ideas besides a new laptop guys & gals. :o 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2011 6:04:07 PM

Generally,
You can't upgrade the processor of a laptop.
You can only upgrade the RAM.

Laptops use different CPUs than desktops, and desktop CPUs only fit in a particular socket and motherboard for example:

The Intel Core i7 870 uses socket 1156 and the H55, H57, P55, and Q57 Chipsets.
The Intel Core i7 950 uses socket 1366 and the X58 Chipset.
The Intel Core i7 2600k uses socket 1155 and the P67, H67, H61 and Z68 Chipsets.

For example the ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard uses the P67 Chipset and obviously socket 1155, thus it supports the second generation Intel processors like the i7 2600k or i5 2500k as well as the non "k" versions.

The "K" in this case means that the processor supports overclocking or changing the clock rate from, for example, from 3.4 GHz to 4.0GHz for better performance, BUT you will need better cooling for the CPU like and after-market CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

The P67 Chipset supports overlclocking while the H67 supports Integrated graphics, the Z68 supports both.

Every series of processors uses different sockets, usually due to using a different CPU architecture, for example, the i7 900 series uses 1366 while the 800 series uses 1156 although some times the same socket may support different architectures for example, some i7 900s have the Nehalem architecture while the others; the 970, 980x and 990x use the faster Gulftown architecture.

In addition Chipsets also effect the type of compatible RAM, all the new Chispets support DDR3 memory while older Chipsets like the i945G for the old socket 775 for "Pentium 4" age processors supports DDR2.

AMD uses different sockets and Chipsets, it's a whole different company, no point in me listing them as you can get this information off Google, Intel was just and example.

I hope you now have a general idea of how this stuff works, remember this info is very general, you could checkout YouTube if you are interested in building PCs, it's fun and easy.

Getting back to the topic, there is nothing you can do, but, buy a new laptop, or upgrade your RAM as it might be the reason for slow performance,then again it may not and you may end up wasting money upgrading an old computer when with little more money you can get a whole new one.

So you have to buy a new laptop and consider some things before buying one:

1) Do you really need a laptop? A desktop offers better performance at lower prices!
2) What will you use it for?
Facebook, email web surfing = Pentium Dual-Core "E" series or around that.
Excel, PowerPoint, etc and more demanding stuff like watching HD videos in addition to the above = i3 and similar performance.
Gaming = i5/i7 PLUS a discrete GPU or graphics card minimum is the NVIDIA GT 440 (desktops) or GTX 550 Ti even better and above. AMD graphics, minimum is Radeon 6790.

For gaming on a laptop you will need to spend a lot of money because laptop GPUs are slow, look at the i7 2630QM (laptops) as a CPU and the minimum GPU is the
6770M, the "m" indicates the mobile or laptop version.

I have no time to write more so I hope you get it now.
a c 102 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2011 10:49:26 PM

^1 mn96!
Related resources
April 8, 2011 11:26:52 PM

Quote:
Generally,
You can't upgrade the processor of a laptop.
You can only upgrade the RAM.

Laptops use different CPUs than desktops, and desktop CPUs only fit in a particular socket and motherboard for example:

The Intel Core i7 870 uses socket 1156 and the H55, H57, P55, and Q57 Chipsets.
The Intel Core i7 950 uses socket 1366 and the X58 Chipset.
The Intel Core i7 2600k uses socket 1155 and the P67, H67, H61 and Z68 Chipsets.

For example the ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard uses the P67 Chipset and obviously socket 1155, thus it supports the second generation Intel processors like the i7 2600k or i5 2500k as well as the non "k" versions.

The "K" in this case means that the processor supports overclocking or changing the clock rate from, for example, from 3.4 GHz to 4.0GHz for better performance, BUT you will need better cooling for the CPU like and after-market CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

The P67 Chipset supports overlclocking while the H67 supports Integrated graphics, the Z68 supports both.

Every series of processors uses different sockets, usually due to using a different CPU architecture, for example, the i7 900 series uses 1366 while the 800 series uses 1156 although some times the same socket may support different architectures for example, some i7 900s have the Nehalem architecture while the others; the 970, 980x and 990x use the faster Gulftown architecture.

In addition Chipsets also effect the type of compatible RAM, all the new Chispets support DDR3 memory while older Chipsets like the i945G for the old socket 775 for "Pentium 4" age processors supports DDR2.

AMD uses different sockets and Chipsets, it's a whole different company, no point in me listing them as you can get this information off Google, Intel was just and example.

I hope you now have a general idea of how this stuff works, remember this info is very general, you could checkout YouTube if you are interested in building PCs, it's fun and easy.

Getting back to the topic, there is nothing you can do, but, buy a new laptop, or upgrade your RAM as it might be the reason for slow performance,then again it may not and you may end up wasting money upgrading an old computer when with little more money you can get a whole new one.

So you have to buy a new laptop and consider some things before buying one:

1) Do you really need a laptop? A desktop offers better performance at lower prices!
2) What will you use it for?
Facebook, email web surfing = Pentium Dual-Core "E" series or around that.
Excel, PowerPoint, etc and more demanding stuff like watching HD videos in addition to the above = i3 and similar performance.
Gaming = i5/i7 PLUS a discrete GPU or graphics card minimum is the NVIDIA GT 440 (desktops) or GTX 550 Ti even better and above. AMD graphics, minimum is Radeon 6790.

For gaming on a laptop you will need to spend a lot of money because laptop GPUs are slow, look at the i7 2630QM (laptops) as a CPU and the minimum GPU is the
6770M, the "m" indicates the mobile or laptop version.

I have no time to write more so I hope you get it now.

April 9, 2011 12:07:29 AM

thanks for the info,i pretty much new i was going to have to build my own,just hoping there was a lazy way round it and not have to go through the process of matching every thing for my needs because there is such a wide range of components,i don't know about you but i will never be happy with my choices on a new build,at least i now know that's my only real option to have a computer of my own spec,laptops are for portability not performance a persons mobile communication center,like a mobile phone you can actually see and use.thanks for the heads up.
April 9, 2011 12:43:14 AM

its mainly for media and gaming [star craft 2]so needs be quit fit and work hard.
April 9, 2011 1:00:28 AM

£700 to £1000 on a base build can buy used components.
April 9, 2011 8:50:27 AM

I will check out that spec and price them up,the uk is pretty good on used and refurbished parts should be well in my price range,in japan they throw there old kit out as soon as the new arrives on the shop floor.there is like a market here on tottenham court road that you can pick up anything elecrical for peanuts so i will have to do a bit of pricing before hitting that market,Cheers! for the intel very useful. ;) 
!