Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are signs of poor power supply?

Last response: in Systems
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 7:15:47 PM

I have an XtremeGear 700 Watt PSU that came with my CyberPower system, and I read alot of reviews that XtremeGear makes poor PSUs. If so, this would explain my system lock ups and poor OCing.
January 13, 2011 7:18:58 PM

a good sign is stuff not working... Usually you will have boot issues and get blue screens and such.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 7:25:24 PM

Games freezing during intense graphics is another great sign...
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 7:26:25 PM

System crashing when under a heavy load like intensive gaming or benchmarks. I never heard of that brand before and its probably because it is not a good PSU. I got a PSU that came with my PC I built from ibuypower years and years ago. It died and decided to take my $200 dollar motherboard with it.
January 13, 2011 7:31:51 PM

mafia, ther are no good reviews of that psu at all
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 8:07:56 PM

^I know, that's why my suspicion has increased after I started to have random lock-ups and very poor OC capability. My rig's configuration needs all 700 watts, but I doubt the PSU is putting out anything more than 500.
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 11:45:32 PM

Best answer selected by thismafiaguy.
a c 104 ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 11:29:50 AM

Explosions are often a good indicator of a dodgy psu......
:p 
Moto
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 11:43:32 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Explosions are often a good indicator of a dodgy psu......
:p 
Moto

Open flame and the release of the magic blue smoke are two others... :D  :ouch:  :sol: 
March 2, 2011 3:15:58 AM

Yep I really wish they would take the extreme gear, cyberpower self branded and raidmax psus completely out the picture on cyberpower.
tons of horror storys with those.
I mean they are cheap and cheap for a reason because there cheap.
Never skimp on the PSU its the heart of the system. Its not just that they dont have continous power ay rated wattage but they have dirty power with major current ripples, which in turn can cause all types of seemingly random issues major and minor.
!