Sign in with
Your question

GTX260 or get a GTX460

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2010 2:42:06 AM

Hello, Having som eperformance issues with my GTX260, it used to do 40-50fps in max settings in farcry 2 but now does like 20fps, got it to do it yesterday but now it's back to 20fps in 1080p. Since I can't seem to figure that one out I decided maybe an upgrade to a $129 460 768mb would fix the problem and give me upgrade options again like affordable sli. what kind of performance upgrade would a 460 give me

More about : gtx260 gtx460

November 14, 2010 8:42:35 AM

After looking at a few benchmarks, the 460 performs ON AVERAGE 5-10% better than a STOCK 260. Loads of people argue about the actual figure, but in general it's not really a upgrade for better performance, but an upgrade to allow DirectX11 and to be more future-proof.

Have you a way of viewing your GPU's speeds? Something like GPU-Z or Everest Ultimate? If so.. log your clock speeds and then play a game. It might be that your graphics cards are deciding to clock down to 2D speeds when playing games (as mine have done before - I have two 260s in SLI).

Mine turned out to be a driver error. I would be playing GTA4 at like 50FPS, then it'd drop to 18FPS for maybe 15 minutes and then would clock back up to performance levels.

Are you overclocking your card at all?

What drivers are you using?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 10:03:47 AM

I thought the GTX460 performed more like the GTX280? Should be more then 10%.

Have you tried cleaning your fan? Perhaps your card is downclocking due to heat.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 10:39:40 AM

acer0169 said:
After looking at a few benchmarks, the 460 performs ON AVERAGE 5-10% better than a STOCK 260. Loads of people argue about the actual figure, but in general it's not really a upgrade for better performance, but an upgrade to allow DirectX11 and to be more future-proof.
No percentages, but having upgraded from an OC'ed GTX260 c 216 to an OC'ed GTX460 I can tell you that the performance difference is noticeable.
m
l
November 14, 2010 12:15:34 PM

I went from a oc'd gtx260 to a stock gtx460, minor performance improvements (no stats again unfortunately) but the biggest improvements were with noise and temps.

260 idled around 40c hitting ~65c under load with the fan turned up.
460 idles around 27c hitting ~56c under load with the fan at stock.

It is unbelievably quiet compared to my old stock fan gtx260.
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:17:40 PM

acer0169 said:

Have you a way of viewing your GPU's speeds? Something like GPU-Z or Everest Ultimate? If so.. log your clock speeds and then play a game. It might be that your graphics cards are deciding to clock down to 2D speeds when playing games (as mine have done before - I have two 260s in SLI).

Mine turned out to be a driver error. I would be playing GTA4 at like 50FPS, then it'd drop to 18FPS for maybe 15 minutes and then would clock back up to performance levels.

Are you overclocking your card at all?

What drivers are you using?

Well from what I remember when I researched the 260 before purchase it was really no slower than %20 of a 280, with the exception of the extra AA you could enable with the 280's extra memory, So I figure since the 460 is pretty much equal with the 460 it'd be a minor upgrade, with the exception of slightly less memory (768), DX11 isn't so much important as it is that I can sli the 460 with my current PSU without getting too close to the max wattage of my PSU, basically it's over 400watts to sli the 260 or 350 to sli the 460 and the 460 should scale a good %40+ better than the 260, but that's also not as important as lower temps, quiet fans and the ability to drop my hard drives back down to where they get hit by the fan and have the room still to add more hard drives.

I'm using the newest 260.99

and I'm about to try the gpu-z, how do I tell if it's not enabling 3d and sticking to 2d, your answer makes the most sense. Thanks

Once I have sli I should be within 10% of the 580, but I'll first have to sove what issues I'm having now and then learn how to use sli. I've already failed learning to use my 9800 as physx or even the onboard as physx. lol
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:25:31 PM

flaminggerbil said:
I went from a oc'd gtx260 to a stock gtx460, minor performance improvements (no stats again unfortunately) but the biggest improvements were with noise and temps.

260 idled around 40c hitting ~65c under load with the fan turned up.
460 idles around 27c hitting ~56c under load with the fan at stock.

It is unbelievably quiet compared to my old stock fan gtx260.

I used to not care at all about quiet since I was wearing noise canceling headphones, but now I don't live alone and that fan whirling about during game keeps my girl up at night, lol. And lower temps are welcome during summer days. Besides I read that the overclocks done on a 460 are actually substantial compared to other nvidia cards and without voltage increases, similar to the 260's abilities but even better. I've met a two people that could double their clocks and wipe the floor with a 280, I haven't tried overclocking it as when it runs right it didn't need it. I used to get 65 under load, but I cut the vent wide open and got rid of the air bottleneck, dropped my temps about 10 degrees, and it got slightly quieter.
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:31:23 PM

4745454b said:
I thought the GTX460 performed more like the GTX280? Should be more then 10%.

Have you tried cleaning your fan? Perhaps your card is downclocking due to heat.

It does according to the benchmarks I've viewed on multiple sites.

I cleaned it out about a week ago, it wasn't very dirty at all, it doesn't get very dirty since my case it one big filter, but I've reduced the temps by about 10 degrees since I opened up the exhaust.

I'd recommend that anyone doing sli 260's or 280's cut away that vent, makes it quieter and increases air flow, considering the fans are already stressed from being so close to the other card the top card would really benefit from this
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:52:58 PM

Well I ran GPU-Z and I've got a saved file, not sure what do do with the results though, the only thimg I'm really noticing is that nothing got over 50c, far cry2 and crysis are the only games that always get warmer than 50, and it took awhile to get it to get to 50, it was staggering around 44C for the longest time.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 8:17:07 PM

850mhz is common on stock volts on a well cared for card and they are closer to a GTX280 and under perform a GTX280/285 by 3% at reference clocks so the margins are good depending on the clocks and which version that you get. Beyond that the architecture isn't performing as well on a % biases compared to older tech due not all the shaders that are active are not getting very much workload due to poor scheduling. The old tech got up to 88% of the total power of the card available to the game however on cards with a lower shader count the % is different. Fermi the numbers are worse which are close to 60-80% tops while ATI cards are barely any better till the 68x0 came out with the whole chip being able to work instead of having idle units.
m
l
November 14, 2010 8:55:37 PM

nforce4max said:
850mhz is common on stock volts on a well cared for card and they are closer to a GTX280 and under perform a GTX280/285 by 3% at reference clocks so the margins are good depending on the clocks and which version that you get. Beyond that the architecture isn't performing as well on a % biases compared to older tech due not all the shaders that are active are not getting very much workload due to poor scheduling. The old tech got up to 88% of the total power of the card available to the game however on cards with a lower shader count the % is different. Fermi the numbers are worse which are close to 60-80% tops while ATI cards are barely any better till the 68x0 came out with the whole chip being able to work instead of having idle units.

I've noticed some power issues on video cards that over time seem to become stronger with better drivers but still don't deliver the power they show they are capable of in gigaflop ratings, the whole real world performance thing I guess, which is why I don't put much faith in judging a card by gigaflops. I can't pretend to fully understand what you are talking about but I think I'm close.

I've noticed that the drivers for a lot of cards seem to be trying to over come the cards physical issues in order to milk more power out of it. My ati 3850 was about 30% faster when I bought it last year than it was when it came out, and since My buddy bought his his gts250 each new driver has improved it's performance by a total around 3% or more. My 260 was much the same as the drivers got better and better after it's release. My old 8500GT was my first gaming card and it sucked when I first got it, but eventually it could play farcry 2 in low settings on a 50 inch tv, still play halo 2 on it when I visit my mother, lol.

My laptops 9600gs ddr2 can out perform a 7950GT ddr3, it shouldn't be able to but it can. Video cards are violently confusing some times

If I can figure out my performance problem I plan on keeping the 260 and moving it to a new living room build, as it appears the 260 will continue to be a formidable card for some time.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 9:23:38 PM

thecountrygoth said:
I've noticed some power issues on video cards that over time seem to become stronger with better drivers but still don't deliver the power they show they are capable of in gigaflop ratings, the whole real world performance thing I guess, which is why I don't put much faith in judging a card by gigaflops. I can't pretend to fully understand what you are talking about but I think I'm close.

I've noticed that the drivers for a lot of cards seem to be trying to over come the cards physical issues in order to milk more power out of it. My ati 3850 was about 30% faster when I bought it last year than it was when it came out, and since My buddy bought his his gts250 each new driver has improved it's performance by a total around 3% or more. My 260 was much the same as the drivers got better and better after it's release. My old 8500GT was my first gaming card and it sucked when I first got it, but eventually it could play farcry 2 in low settings on a 50 inch tv, still play halo 2 on it when I visit my mother, lol.

My laptops 9600gs ddr2 can out perform a 7950GT ddr3, it shouldn't be able to but it can. Video cards are violently confusing some times

If I can figure out my performance problem I plan on keeping the 260 and moving it to a new living room build, as it appears the 260 will continue to be a formidable card for some time.

Try being a collector with working samples that go back to the early 90s. My personal favorite is a 3dfx voodoo 5 5500 agp.
m
l
November 14, 2010 10:34:17 PM

nforce4max said:
Try being a collector with working samples that go back to the early 90s. My personal favorite is a 3dfx voodoo 5 5500 agp.

My buddy with the 250 talks about his old voodoo cards and the glory days of agp, I actually got my 7950 from him, and managed to make him a believer in small ati gaming cards for his small builds that need HDMI, like pulling teeth, he's a die hard nvidia fan.

I don't want to get rid of my laptop because that 9600gs (or rather 8600) is amazing, and my favorite entry level. I tried collecting old cards, but everythign I could get my hands on had been overclocked or run too hard and was dying.

And I tried the 197.45 as I remember that driver being pretty good, no improvement, the video card is still not ramping up and getting warmer than 44C, and I lost my hdmi audio
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 10:56:57 PM

thecountrygoth said:
My buddy with the 250 talks about his old voodoo cards and the glory days of agp, I actually got my 7950 from him, and managed to make him a believer in small ati gaming cards for his small builds that need HDMI, like pulling teeth, he's a die hard nvidia fan.

I don't want to get rid of my laptop because that 9600gs (or rather 8600) is amazing, and my favorite entry level. I tried collecting old cards, but everythign I could get my hands on had been overclocked or run too hard and was dying.

And I tried the 197.45 as I remember that driver being pretty good, no improvement, the video card is still not ramping up and getting warmer than 44C, and I lost my hdmi audio

The one card that I have been drooling over that has popped up a few times this year cost up to $3k usd and only about hundred are known to still remain in existence and massive. The there is the mercury brick that has not one or two pcbs but 5 and uses 4 pci slot for both power and data. I do have a rare 7900GTX Duo and that is the largest production Nvidia card to date.
m
l
November 15, 2010 1:40:42 AM

nforce4max said:
The one card that I have been drooling over that has popped up a few times this year cost up to $3k usd and only about hundred are known to still remain in existence and massive. The there is the mercury brick that has not one or two pcbs but 5 and uses 4 pci slot for both power and data. I do have a rare 7900GTX Duo and that is the largest production Nvidia card to date.

Wow, that's a pretty big card. And I vaguely remember the 7900gx2 I think it was called, never heard of the duo. I remember that thing was huge, might have been even longer and taller than my 260
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 15, 2010 2:28:18 PM

thecountrygoth said:
Wow, that's a pretty big card. And I vaguely remember the 7900gx2 I think it was called, never heard of the duo. I remember that thing was huge, might have been even longer and taller than my 260

The Duo is a oem only version of the card and is a first generation GX2 that was only produced in small numbers, the 7950gx2 is a second gen gx2 despite featuring the same hard ware but much different pcb and cooling. The Duo is the same size as the 5970. It is the largest production Nvidia card to date and is reference design. It is longer than the G80/GT200 cards by an inch and a half.
m
l
November 15, 2010 4:05:40 PM

nforce4max said:
The Duo is a oem only version of the card and is a first generation GX2 that was only produced in small numbers, the 7950gx2 is a second gen gx2 despite featuring the same hard ware but much different pcb and cooling. The Duo is the same size as the 5970. It is the largest production Nvidia card to date and is reference design. It is longer than the G80/GT200 cards by an inch and a half.

That is a big ass card. Unfortunetly I may not be geting the nice short little 460 now. Not sure if B stock is eligible for the step up program at EVGA. Sent them an email to ask, but it may be too late as I already ordered it. lol, oh well.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 15, 2010 4:11:34 PM

I got a GTX460 my self and they are good cards but you need to maintain them.
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:06:46 AM

Got my 460, so far the performance is identical to the 260, a little contradictory of the many reviews I've read saying 10%+. But oh so cool an quiet. and came with a 763 core clock
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 19, 2010 2:39:30 AM

What resolution? System specs?
m
l
!