GTX260 performance issues, low fps, and lag

thecountrygoth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I'm having trouble with my GTX260 or at least I think I am. Farcry 2 used to play in dx10 at max setting at about 40fps and 40-50fps at 4xAA. Right now at 4xAA i'm getting 24-51fps and it's not smooth at all, even at 51fps. Crysis is doing much the same thing, except it's just low fps, it was getting 20-40fps just playable at max settings, now it's maxing out at 24, and going as low as 12. I've tried every driver a of recently, and I can't get he performance back up to par, though Borderlands runs great, not as smooth as it should with 48-61fps. I need to fix this before my GTX460 gets here, as a second one will be ordered for sli on the 20th. and I already don't know how to handle sli and not positive my corsair 650 can handle the two of them. I dual boot vista business 64 and win 7 64 an the issues are the same. Both are fresh installs, and the card has never gotten warmer than 65C.

The lag extends out side of games as well, windows runs a bit delayed. But two days ago the system ran flawless, farcry as a piece of cake, absolutely fluid at max settings, borderlands was stuck at 60fps. Turned it back on the next day and it was up to it's usual self.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hit ctrl-alt-delete (or ctrl-shift-esc) and check the system processes for anything out of the ordinary. If something (like a virus scan perhaps?) is using a significant chunk of cpu power while the computer is idle, then there's your problem.

thecountrygoth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

Thanks for the reply

Netgear is using a little over 8,000k of ram, windows explorer is using a little over 28,000k, and something called csrss is using a little over 9,000k, but nothing seems to be using any measurable amount of cpu. But I don't recognize ast_wg111v3.exe.

I removed Avast incase it was messing with MSE, turned off EVGA precision, spybot, and adware. Not a single improvement. Although I did find a place where it appears farcry was partially duplicated earlier, that helped my frames jump significantly but the problem persists with unplayable high frame rates dipping and rising for no reason. And now the video card isn't getting warm, it's staying around 43C. The power supply is plenty big enough to run this system, with more than enough amps. But it seems to be pointing at powersupply half the time, but my performance in borderlands is as good if not higher than a system with these specs is rated for.