Sign in with
Your question
Solved

6+2 pin OCZ PSU to Radeon 6950 concerns

Last response: in Components
April 8, 2011 10:44:52 PM

I have an OCZ powerstream 700w PSU and it appears that I'm missing my second 6 pin connection, maybe it was discarded during the build due to only one 6 pin being needed on my former video card, in any case I have an empty 8 pin output on my PSU, and I was wondering if it would be ok to purchase a 6+2 pin connection and output that to my new Radeon 6950. If so do I just not use the +2 pin, leaving 2 vacant PSU output slots on my PSU, or do I connect all 8 pins to the PSU output and only 6 pins into my Graphics card?
April 9, 2011 2:41:06 AM

Seriously? 70 views and no one knows?
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 2:46:25 AM

When you refer to 8-pin outlet, are you talking about the 8-pin ATX outlet or a PCIe 8 pin outlet (6+2-pin)?? I can't seem to find a link for your PSU, to review it's cables / layout.

If it is the 6+2 PCIe connector, you'll be just fine. If it is the 8-pin ATX, I wouldn't do it. Also, you can just look for a Molex to 6-pin connector for your GPU and power it from a Molex, as well.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2011 7:02:09 PM

Oh, and i'm not sure as to the nomenclature of the cabling. .How do I tell a molex from ATX from PCI-E? If you click the images on the newegg product listing for the PSU, you can see a pic where the cabling connections are, Is the ATX the 2 red 8 pin bank and the PCI-E the 4 black slots?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 7:02:41 PM

You didn't save the box with all the extra cables?

That is an extension cable, not sure if it would plug into a psu or not. You can use a molex adaptor (2 molex into 1 pci-e)

LIke this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Usually they come with your video card or psu, so check to see if you can find it.

I'm using one on my 5850 because my psu only has 1 6pin cable.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 9, 2011 7:11:55 PM

tecmo34 said:

If it is the 8-pin ATX, I wouldn't do it.

You can't. First, they are keyed differently so the plugs should not fit in the wrong sockets. This is a good thing because they are also wired differently. Using either in the wrong place will result in shorting 12 volts directly to ground. If you are lucky, the overload circuits will detect the short and electronically shut the PSU down.

If your PSU has 6 and 8 (6+2) pin PCIe power plugs, use them.you will be perfectly fine using a 6 pin connector instead of the 6+2 connector. The 6 pin connector has 3 hot wires and three ground wires. The eight pin connector has 3 hot (look at the yellow wires) and 5 ground (black) wires. Because it has the same number and gauge (wire thickness) of hot wires, it really cannot deliver any more current than the 6 pin.
m
l
April 10, 2011 2:25:53 AM

Can anyone post a link to the cable I need to purchase? It needs to be at least 8 inches (that's what she said).

Yeah, i know boneheaded move to get rid of the extra cabling right? Everything got moved around in the house a few times since so that's where it went.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2011 2:44:53 PM

I already posted a link.
m
l

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 10, 2011 7:28:55 PM
April 10, 2011 7:29:15 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear but I'm running the 6950 right now using (molex is it?) an item like the one you posted from newegg, 2 actually came with the video card. However, now that i'm using the ?molex? connector, I can't run my exhaust fan in the back of my case, this is really all about being able to run my card and my exhaust fan!

I really wan't to know how to get a direct power to the video card with a 6 pin connection, I know it's possible since the spec of my PSU says that it is but none of the cables i've found online are long enough!

PSU link: for new comers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...
m
l
April 10, 2011 7:53:22 PM

I'm starting to think that no one in the known universe manufactures a friggin 8 inch + 6 pin PCI-E connector, WTF.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 10, 2011 8:00:47 PM

mancid rilk said:
I'm starting to think that no one in the known universe manufactures a friggin 8 inch + 6 pin PCI-E connector, WTF.

It has to be 8 inches, no longer ?
m
l
April 11, 2011 5:19:55 AM

delluser1 said:
It has to be 8 inches, no longer ?

8+ inches
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 11:55:33 AM

mancid rilk said:
8+ inches

The cable in the link I posted is 14" or 19" , can't remember , it is keyed and pinned in a manner that would allow it to work with your OCZ simply by shifting it to the left or right side of the psu's 8 pin outlet.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 2:09:47 PM

I guess I'm not understanding what the molex connector has to do with the exhaust fan in the back of your case.......
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 2:53:38 PM

Exhaust fan is obviously powered by a molex connector (like, for instance, the fans in an Antec 900 case). And apparently after he connects a molex to PCIe power adapter, he no longer has an available molex connector for his fan.

Extension cables
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g44/c34/s276/list/p1/DI...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 5:11:29 PM

Get an adaptor so you can plug your case fan into your motherboard or piggy back it on another fan connector.
m
l
April 11, 2011 8:50:53 PM

delluser1 said:
The cable in the link I posted is 14" or 19" , can't remember , it is keyed and pinned in a manner that would allow it to work with your OCZ simply by shifting it to the left or right side of the psu's 8 pin outlet.

Dude, I'm so sorry! I clicked the wrong link on that page, after days of searching that is EXACTLY what I need, kudos to you!
m
l
April 11, 2011 8:51:23 PM

Best answer selected by Mancid Rilk.
m
l
!