Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What cards are my best bet to max upcoming games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2010 5:42:11 AM

This is asked a lot in this board, I know that. What card is gonna make me have some seriously maxed out performance in upcoming games like Crysis 2 and other high ends? Should I wait for the Cayman series or the Antilles? Maybe try out Nvidia and their 500 series? I'm a bigger fan of single gpu cards and ati personally, but I think my goal is to have good power, but still within some level of reason on price. I also like great cooling that manages to be quiet. Like after market overclocked cards, not that I couldn't clock them myself but the additional fans and upgraded sinks tend to be handy.

Btw, here's what other stuff I'll have for this build:
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7-950
Monitor will be the Acer GD235HZ (only one)
Corair 850W PSU
a c 105 U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 11:07:24 AM

Id go right for the 580. Should last you years like the 8800GTX did when that came out.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 1:05:53 PM

Wait for the Caymans, they're scheduled this month.
Score
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 1:26:32 PM

thethinkerbox said:
This is asked a lot in this board, I know that. What card is gonna make me have some seriously maxed out performance in upcoming games like Crysis 2 and other high ends? Should I wait for the Cayman series or the Antilles? Maybe try out Nvidia and their 500 series? I'm a bigger fan of single gpu cards and ati personally, but I think my goal is to have good power, but still within some level of reason on price. I also like great cooling that manages to be quiet. Like after market overclocked cards, not that I couldn't clock them myself but the additional fans and upgraded sinks tend to be handy.

Btw, here's what other stuff I'll have for this build:
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7-950
Monitor will be the Acer GD235HZ (only one)
Corair 850W PSU

if you want such a card right now, it will be GTX580. it can max out most game out there at 1980x1080. but if you want to wait for cayman or antilles is up to you.

mosox said:
Wait for the Caymans, they're scheduled this month.

i thought that AMD already officially push the launch date on mid december

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19973
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 1:34:09 PM

Didn't know that, but IMO it's worth waiting, last time when AMD launched cards Nvidia slashed the prices.
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 1:42:15 PM

mosox said:
Didn't know that, but IMO it's worth waiting, last time when AMD launched cards Nvidia slashed the prices.

yup that's right unless he need a new card ASAP. assuming the report is true we may see AMD 69XX series in a month. hope AMD can release the card without much problem :) 

EDIT: typo
Score
November 14, 2010 2:09:55 PM

This build is still in progress, I'm guessing it'll be until January that I'll have my current build. So I suppose Cayman will be the best bet (in CFX) to max my games?
Score

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 2:25:47 PM

thethinkerbox said:
This build is still in progress, I'm guessing it'll be until January that I'll have my current build. So I suppose Cayman will be the best bet (in CFX) to max my games?

580 in SLI or 6970 in CF. i don't think you will be wrong with either setup
November 14, 2010 2:48:31 PM

Best answer selected by TheThinkerBox.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 6:48:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!