Solved

Memory won't run @1600.

I know this question has been asked before and I tried to post in the thread but it was locked. Besides that my specs are somewhat different so I thought I'd just give it a go:

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347 this memory which I run in the following system:

Core i7 2600K + Scythe Mugen3
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Corsair TX750M
MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
OCZ 120gb Agility3
X-fi Titanium
Windows 7 professional

All parts except the X-fi are newly bought, and I do have 2 more old HDD's in the system.

I can't get my memory stable to run @1600, but it does run stable @the JEDEC 1333 standard. I have the latest bios version (F10) and already tried to manually set my DDR voltage to 1,5. Memtest runs without errors @1333mhz, and when set in the bios to XMP profile1 (only option is profile1)memtest shows no error after 16 hours.

Issue/instability I have @1600:
Crashes/freezes while just in Windows (reset needed)
Windows not passing the "Welcome" screen
Occassionaly not even passing the BIOS post screen.

After the reset I get the message my bios clocked back the memory to 1333 stable speed.

I am already told my CPU doesn't benefit from higher speeds, or in real life situations you won't need the 1600mhz speed, but that is not the point. Someone that buys a sportcar in most cases won't benefit from the power and topspeed too, which doesn't mean the driver needs to be content when 20% of it's power and speed just can't be utilized due to some unexplainable reason.
The memory is not on the QVL list I'm told, but I always had the idea that the memory wouldn't run at all when not on such a list while my memory runs fine @1333, but not when set @1600. The shop won't switch the memory for (i.e.) a Kingston set referring to the speed thing. They tell me just to be happy running it @1333mhz and referring to the speed/benefit reason.

Anyone know the problem/solution?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory 1600
  1. Best answer
    Have you tried bumping up the memory voltage to say 1.55 and run it at 1600? Sometimes it just needs a little bump to run stable.
  2. No haven't tries that yet. I was kinda reluctant to overvoltage the memory. To which maximum voltage can I safely try it when it will still not be stable at 1.55?
  3. This is trial and error. When you overclock memory or over volt memory you are taking things into your own hands. Do this at your own risk of destroying the ram.
  4. Was already thinking that would be the case. But I do assume that setting the XMP profile in Biuos is not considered risky and such right. Because that is what the store told me. Well you overclock the memory to 1600 so you can expect instability. Imo that is nonsense as the RAM is sold as being 1600mhz memory.

As I understand I do all things at own risk and nobody but me is too blame for destroyed ram, isn't there a general rule like "Most cases you can overvoltage RAM x% while still being 'safe'...."

Oh and is there any, in-Windows program to actually stresstest RAM other than Prime95. I mean in some sort of diagnostic way.
  5. Well unless you are a bit more of an advanced user I would never go above 1.65 volts on ram. The processor can be burned out over time if you go over and that don't know how to adjust for it.
  6. Best answer selected by Shtoq.
  7. For now it sems like 'overvoltaging' the memory (including all other memory voltages like channel voltages from 0.750 to 0.755) solved my problem. Now I'm going to lower all settings gradually to have the lowest stabel values.
  8. shtoq said:
    I know this question has been asked before and I tried to post in the thread but it was locked. Besides that my specs are somewhat different so I thought I'd just give it a go:

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347 this memory which I run in the following system:

Core i7 2600K + Scythe Mugen3
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
    Corsair TX750M
    MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
    OCZ 120gb Agility3
    X-fi Titanium
    Windows 7 professional

All parts except the X-fi are newly bought, and I do have 2 more old HDD's in the system.

I can't get my memory stable to run @1600, but it does run stable @the JEDEC 1333 standard. I have the latest bios version (F10) and already tried to manually set my DDR voltage to 1,5. Memtest runs without errors @1333mhz, and when set in the bios to XMP profile1 (only option is profile1)memtest shows no error after 16 hours.

Issue/instability I have @1600:
    Crashes/freezes while just in Windows (reset needed)
    Windows not passing the "Welcome" screen
    Occassionaly not even passing the BIOS post screen.

After the reset I get the message my bios clocked back the memory to 1333 stable speed.

I am already told my CPU doesn't benefit from higher speeds, or in real life situations you won't need the 1600mhz speed, but that is not the point. Someone that buys a sportcar in most cases won't benefit from the power and topspeed too, which doesn't mean the driver needs to be content when 20% of it's power and speed just can't be utilized due to some unexplainable reason.
    The memory is not on the QVL list I'm told, but I always had the idea that the memory wouldn't run at all when not on such a list while my memory runs fine @1333, but not when set @1600. The shop won't switch the memory for (i.e.) a Kingston set referring to the speed thing. They tell me just to be happy running it @1333mhz and referring to the speed/benefit reason.

Anyone know the problem/solution?

try this
    DRAM E.O.C.P
    Allows you to determine whether to use the preset memory overclocking profile to achieve optimum
    overclocking performance. (Default: Disabled) ENABLE THIS!!!! and set it has ddr1600

Set Memory Clock
    Determines whether to manually set the memory clock. Auto lets BIOS automatically set the memory clock
    as required. Manual allows the memory clock control item below to be configurable. (Default: Auto) SET HIS TO MANUAL!!!!

DDR3 Timing Items
    &
    Manual
    allows all DDR3 Timing items below to be configurable)set this to manual and leave it has it is
  9. 1.55 is perfectly safe, another option is to raise the VCCIO, the MC (memory controller ) voltage just a tad + 0.03 (VCCIO may also be referred to as VTT or the like)

and believe the EOCP mentioned above is an AMD thing along with DOCP
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product