Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2011 12:31:10 AM

So im on newegg checking out some cpu's right.

this cpu :Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz is $125

this cpu : Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz is $125

SO how the hell does newegg plan on selling that core 2 duo for the same price as the sandybridge i3 that should smash on it??????

Is there something im missing here? Or is newegg just hopeing that there are ppl who wont want to upgrade there mobo but might want the core 2 duo?

More about : happen

a c 78 à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 9, 2011 12:43:55 AM

It really comes down to the theory of "Demand and Supply": http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/econom...

As these CPU's become less and less available to the masses, their prices maintain or go up, as supply is lower than the demand. Think about it as a rare baseball card from a limited production. The card is worth a lot more as the supply drops versus a card that was massed produced.
m
l
April 11, 2011 5:40:35 AM

tecmo34 said:
It really comes down to the theory of "Demand and Supply": http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/econom...

As these CPU's become less and less available to the masses, their prices maintain or go up, as supply is lower than the demand. Think about it as a rare baseball card from a limited production. The card is worth a lot more as the supply drops versus a card that was massed produced.

i guess i have never seen that happen with obsolite tech lol. If one were building a new system why would you start with an older CPU? when you could have something better for the same price. I get supply and demand but there should be no demand at that price?
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 6:26:50 AM

There's a demand if you have an LGA 775 socket and just want a faster processor without building a whole new computer.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 7:05:33 AM

^+1 good point
though it is better to buy used cheaply from decent seller
m
l
April 11, 2011 7:48:52 AM

There's always antique collectors as well who would lay down cash for those ancient cpu's. Ok, maybe not ancient, but you get the idea.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 7:53:36 AM

+1 to supply and demand.

Haven't you noticed that DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3, and DDR is even more expensive than both? There is less production of the older modules, and it costs more to produce the older modules, so prices are higher.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 8:21:40 AM

Bacterius said:
There's always antique collectors as well who would lay down cash for those ancient cpu's. Ok, maybe not ancient, but you get the idea.

I sure hope you are not saying that LGA775 CPUs are antique collectibles?!

Maybe a PIII Tulatin that would be a collectible LOL
m
l
April 11, 2011 9:14:47 AM

Quote:
I sure hope you are not saying that LGA775 CPUs are antique collectibles?!

Maybe a PIII Tulatin that would be a collectible LOL

Yeah I was just trying to convey the idea across, I was thinking more of 486 cpu's. The point is, why would anyone *want* to buy such outdated hardware, right? I know it's arguable but at some point you just gotta throw it all out and start over when you get too far behind. Antique collectors is all I could think of xD
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 12:19:56 PM

well lga775 is at end of life but is still a viable upgradeable platform for alot of people
if you have for example and E8400 and got to a Q9550 cheaply then that is a ok upgrade for now
especially if you want to wait for 2011 socket/Ivybridge to do a new build

of course you would not use LGA775 for a ground up new build
m
l
April 11, 2011 3:33:47 PM

gracefully said:
+1 to supply and demand.

Haven't you noticed that DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3, and DDR is even more expensive than both? There is less production of the older modules, and it costs more to produce the older modules, so prices are higher.

I guess if DDR 2 is more expensive than DDR3 then on top of that you have the old socket it just makes sense to toss out the old syuff at that point lol.
m
l
April 11, 2011 4:43:14 PM

cburke82 said:
I guess if DDR 2 is more expensive than DDR3 then on top of that you have the old socket it just makes sense to toss out the old syuff at that point lol.

It does unfortunately, some people just think upgrading their old config is much better than going for a new one which would totally kick ass but at an even lesser price. It's all about the human mind my friend.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 5:22:35 PM

what is about is what a person NEEDS from their computer system

If you have a LGA775 system and it handles what you need it do
and all you want is a little improvement then
spending $50 USD on ram or $100 USD on CPU (much cheaper than
a new system) then why would you do a new build

People that have to have "bleeding edge" technology which is much
more performance than is needed for email/browsing/ripping/encoding/gaming
well that is a fault of the human "Ego" my friend

m
l
April 11, 2011 7:38:13 PM

king smp said:
what is about is what a person NEEDS from their computer system

If you have a LGA775 system and it handles what you need it do
and all you want is a little improvement then
spending $50 USD on ram or $100 USD on CPU (much cheaper than
a new system) then why would you do a new build

People that have to have "bleeding edge" technology which is much
more performance than is needed for email/browsing/ripping/encoding/gaming
well that is a fault of the human "Ego" my friend

well i guess if your going to stick with old tech then if you have a lower clocked core 2 duo how much of an improvement are you going to get with a better CPU? I went from a Athlon II X2 at 3.10 GHZ to a Phenom 965 OC to 4.1 I did that because I could return the first CPU so it was a total cost of only the last CPU i eneded up with. But based on what I can see in games and other things going from a Athlon 2 to a Phenom 965 alone would not be worth $130 to me. There is a performance increase but saving that $140 twards a future computer would be worth much more. Now obviously there are people who will not think that way and will spend more than they need to get less than they could. But I gusee I would think that the older stuff would at least be priced a little lower than the new much better CPU. To me it just looks like newegg is taking advantage of the ppl who might not due there research and charging them way to much for thaty CPU lol.
m
l
April 11, 2011 7:41:53 PM

EXT64 said:
Now explain this one. Granted, they are both ridiculously over priced, but just what makes a 980X $50 more desirable than a 990X?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LMAO thats crazy. SAME SOCKET SMAE TECH lower clock = more cash???? Cant explain that even with supply and demand lol. Try to explain why one would buy one of those over a 2600k unlocked sandy bridge?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 8:59:07 PM

cburke82 said:
well i guess if your going to stick with old tech then if you have a lower clocked core 2 duo how much of an improvement are you going to get with a better CPU? I went from a Athlon II X2 at 3.10 GHZ to a Phenom 965 OC to 4.1 I did that because I could return the first CPU so it was a total cost of only the last CPU i eneded up with. But based on what I can see in games and other things going from a Athlon 2 to a Phenom 965 alone would not be worth $130 to me. There is a performance increase but saving that $140 twards a future computer would be worth much more. Now obviously there are people who will not think that way and will spend more than they need to get less than they could. But I gusee I would think that the older stuff would at least be priced a little lower than the new much better CPU. To me it just looks like newegg is taking advantage of the ppl who might not due there research and charging them way to much for thaty CPU lol.

actually in 3 months I went from a Pentium 4 3.2 extreme to a Core2Duo 3.0ghz (not exactly lower clocked LOL)
It cost me total $165 USD to do that
so Pentium 4 to Core2Duo complete system change for $165 USD
that is the cost of one intel cpu LOL
and in about two years I plan on doing a new CHEAP I5 build since in two years the I5s will be cheap by then

If you stay about two years behing the tech curve and shop WISELY than you can get all the performance you need cheaply

Of course if you are doing 3D modeling,rendering etc a professional PAID job and actually NEED the performance a Sandybride/980x offers than great

BUT

Very few people on evens Toms actually utilize even half of their performance of their systems

Heck most guys here just worry if they can play Crysis 2 maxed out
Freakin' Joke
LMAO
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 12:37:37 AM

They should be worrying more about playing Crysis maxed out right now. Until that famed DX11 patch comes out, Crysis and Warhead are more demanding than Crysis 2.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:06:24 AM

^+1 good point

And dont get me wrong I like gaming myself
though on the list of priorities concerning my computer
that is near the bottom

I just love young guys usually with rich parents looking down their noses
at other peoples systems

The guys that actually work and live in their own place and pay all of their own bills
who do make enough money to have a nice system are NOT the ones being
snobby

it is usually the young brats who THINK they are computer knowledgeable because
they can buy the latest hardware when actually they are the ones complaining
that it doesnt work right because they dont know what they are doing

I must be getting old
I am starting to hate 20 year olds LOL

EDIT
I always hated the rich brats since I was a kid
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:07:56 AM

NOT YOU AmdFanGirl LOL

You posted a second before I did

You are not one of the snobby ones at all :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:13:19 AM

amdfangirl said:
The number.

You should be amased the lengths I went to ensure I had a CPU with the number 24 in it...

I mean like I have an Athlon XP 2400+, Athlon X2 BE-2400 and a Athlon II 240e...

Was the i5-2400 intriguing enough to convert you to intel? :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:25:44 AM

^
^
When I first played Crysis 2 a couple of weeks ago, I felt like, "Wait, how come Crysis 2 runs better than Warhead?". I confirmed it using fraps. With Warhead on Gamer settings I was getting 30-40 FPS. With Crysis 2 on Very High I got 50-60 FPS.

Of course, Crysis 2 doesn't look bad, it's just that Warhead looks better. When I bought my system a year and a half ago, I knew it would run everything except Crysis on max settings comfortably.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:36:19 AM

Timop said:
Was the i5-2400 intriguing enough to convert you to intel? :pt1cable: 

Haha, if only I had some monies left over :p 

Besides, now I'm tame and docile, no longer game much anymore. My most demanding game runs smoothly on a HD 2600pro or on a HD 6310 IGP.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:36:32 AM

I play Warhead on gamer settings at 1920x1080 and it is a pretty game
The best I have ever seen personally
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:40:08 AM

amdfangirl said:
Haha, if only I had some monies left over :p 

At least you'll have the E-240 to satisfy your cravings. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:42:08 AM

Haha, I couldn't look over how bad it was.

There's a limit to how much I'm going to pay for the 24.

I just went for the E-350 on my x120e, it was just more logical... the E-240 is atomic-ly slow.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:45:06 AM

amdfangirl said:
Haha, I couldn't look over how bad it was.

There's a limit to how much I'm going to pay for the 24.

I just went for the E-350 on my x120e, it was just more logical... the E-240 is atomic-ly slow.

Only if the E240 was single @2Ghz lol.
Speaking of the X120e, how is it? I'm actually trying to decide between that, the dm1, or wait for Llano.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 5:05:52 AM

The x120e is brillant, it only lacks in terms of a decent quality screen and speakers, but for the price, it's a nice piece of kit. The anti-glare screen is what really tipped the scales for me. I hate glossy screens like that of the dm1z. The only probelm with the 11.6" screen is the size of the text! It's about microscopic before you increase the text size. The screen is has a high pixel density, but is quite poor quality, even for a TFT.

The battery life is pretty good, netting about 4:30 hours on high performance mode with Wi-Fi on. The x120e is really silent and never gets anywhere close to hot. Typing through an entire lesson, the x120e just stays cold, it's amazing.

The GPU is beefy enough to tackle games like Torchlight on medium settings. Overall the x120e has no flaws in the case construction.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 9:01:57 PM

Thanks for the brief review. I'm looking into getting one of the small E-350s too, so I'll definitely add the x120e to my list.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 12:43:34 AM

Oh and you might want to hear that the Windows lincense key isn't at the bottom of the machine but carefully tucked away in the battery slot and that you can get 8GB of RAM if you custom install it. (You have easy access to HD and RAM)
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 4:15:32 AM

Nice, though can a E-350 really use 8GB of ram? :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 11:51:51 AM

I can. I don't know who else would tho...

(Loves opening tabsand random files for the fun of it, to make it look like she actually does work.)
m
l
!