Asus Sabertooth 990FX - Sluggish

iced00d

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Good morning. Over the past weekend, I needed to upgrade my current motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - with an SLI compatiable one. After doing some reasearch, I decided to go with the Asus Sabertooth. Not only because of the SLI features I needed, but because of the OC rating. After ripping my watercooling system apart and mounting the board, and reassembling everything, I found out that I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 (Ultimate x64) :cry: . TG I had a backup of my system before hand :bounce: After loading windows and ALL of the patches, I installed all the drivers from the CD and even checked the web page for bios and or system driver updates which I did.

The problem that I'm running into now, is windows seems very sluggish when loading. What use to be a couple of minutes from pushing the start button to loading windows and all of the initial startup files, now seems to be taking almost 7mins to just load. Thinking it was my hard drive I cloned the drive but have the same problem. I've checked the bios and have even set it back to the defaults (except for the fan options seeing that I don't have any) and I get the same problem. I eventually want to get this puppy up and running and even try out some OCing if I ever get that far. If not looks like an RMA and back to HyperSLI & M4A89GTD again >.< , which I'd hate to do. Thanks in advance...

System -

* Asus Sabertooth 990FX (current bios)
* AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
* 16GB RAM - (2x) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3- 12800CL9D-8GBRL
* Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB SATA drive

Are you using the 1.5TB HDD for a boot?
If you are, I'd suggest get another much smaller HDD. About 500GB will do depending on the size of your OS&Programs.... but usually 260GB is more than enough for the OS and program actually it's pretty excess.
This is one of the things that slows it down.
But only one of them.
The rest is, a clean install does help no doubt about it. A backup or image of the OS drive doesn't do any good if you change the Mobo, it will not usually run even as fast as the older rig did.

IMO:
This is just a thought since I don't know this first hand from my personal experience, but when the BD was released, the 990 Chipset was also released for it to work on. Now according to the benches we have seen so far, all the stuff has been on this particular chipset, and, everyone of them has been much slower than we expected it to be. General consensus has been to blame the BD, but, I personally, have had my doubts about this chipset from day one. Actually it's a compatibility thing, the CPU should Compliment the Chipset and Visa Versa, if they don't get along fine, then we experience stuff that we never expected. Since we haven't been able to try the BD out with anything else, or atleast no one posted the Benches with another chipset, it's pretty confusing. Personally, I am not touching the 990 with a bargepole.

iced00d

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Alyoshka - thanks for the reply. I guess what is odd is that i've had the same exact setup (1-hd) on my last system without any problems. And seeing that its a 7200rpm drive, I shouldn't have that much of a lag like i'm experiencing. I do have limited space as well in my computer so that's the other reason why for 1 drive.

I have 1 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drive in my rig, and believe me when it comes on, that's the drive that takes longest to be detected. It's a current saving thing or the spin up time is greater for it then for a smaller capacity drive.
Yup , you shouldn't be experiencing a lag of 6 minutes at any rate.
But having just one drive for the OS and data is a really bad idea, I hope you realize that, I have had to get my Seagate Barracuda's Replaced 2 Times before I had to write to them and tell them not to send me a replacement with a particular Firmware and Series. They were faulty since I had shuffled through 8 X 1.5TB drives at that time.
And each one crashing and getting corrupt , broke my heart and caused a lot of misery since I have lost data that can never be recovered now.