Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Freeze and horrible noise

Last response: in Memory
Share
December 14, 2011 1:30:21 PM

Hi


I got this problem i been having for ages where my pc would freeze but only during videos, and totally random (it can go weeks without any freeze). Usually the sound starts looping but now it makes this horrible noise, i dont know relly how to describe it.

I read alot about ram causing this kinda issue but its strange it only happens during videos and never while playing games.

Memtest is my last solution i can think of since i been cleaning my windows and updated my drives more then once.




Any other ideas how to get rid of this plague?

More about : freeze horrible noise

a b } Memory
December 15, 2011 2:02:49 AM

I don't know how RAM could cause noise problems because RAM is silent, no moving parts to make noise and such.

Your system shows signs of instability. Was it always like this on this computer? Noises are probably the hard drive. It may be about to fail and since hard drives are now expensive it may be difficult to fix this, depending on your hardware.

Your fans could be clogged with dust (it's much more common than you might think) causing overheating. If they are very clogged the fan may be obstructed and hitting thick patches of dust, another possible source of the noise.
a b } Memory
December 15, 2011 2:52:44 AM

Turn off graphics hardware acceleration for videos(youtube).
Settings can be found in flashplayer as well as Internet options/Advanced tab.(IE9)
Related resources
December 15, 2011 3:12:54 PM

blazorthon said:
I don't know how RAM could cause noise problems because RAM is silent, no moving parts to make noise and such.

Your system shows signs of instability. Was it always like this on this computer? Noises are probably the hard drive. It may be about to fail and since hard drives are now expensive it may be difficult to fix this, depending on your hardware.

Your fans could be clogged with dust (it's much more common than you might think) causing overheating. If they are very clogged the fan may be obstructed and hitting thick patches of dust, another possible source of the noise.



Im sorry i did not clarify the noise is coming from my headphones or my speakers.

December 15, 2011 3:14:52 PM

davcon said:
Turn off graphics hardware acceleration for videos(youtube).
Settings can be found in flashplayer as well as Internet options/Advanced tab.(IE9)



I did try that already :( 
December 15, 2011 5:52:32 PM

Hi

Is it an onboard sound chip or a plug in card?

If it is a plug in card, like any of the soundblasters, try moving it to another slot. Could eventually be an interrupt problem.
December 19, 2011 2:09:34 PM

andy_in_kenya said:
Hi

Is it an onboard sound chip or a plug in card?

If it is a plug in card, like any of the soundblasters, try moving it to another slot. Could eventually be an interrupt problem.


It is onboard :) 
December 19, 2011 5:17:42 PM

andy0 said:
It is onboard :) 


Can you please post your system details? Also - is it a Realtek onboard soundchip?
December 19, 2011 6:37:47 PM

The freeze is temporary (like 1s, 10s, 20s) or permanent (full lock, only reset works)?
Also, couldn't you get any pattern in when this happens?
I would say to ignore the sound, as what you hear is probably from the fact that the sound chip still plays the sound, but the CPU does not renew the buffer.
But please post some system info.
December 21, 2011 1:02:05 PM

mathew7 said:
The freeze is temporary (like 1s, 10s, 20s) or permanent (full lock, only reset works)?
Also, couldn't you get any pattern in when this happens?
I would say to ignore the sound, as what you hear is probably from the fact that the sound chip still plays the sound, but the CPU does not renew the buffer.
But please post some system info.



Its a full lockdown and i have to reboot the system, like i said it only seem to happends when im playing a video but it can take days even weeks before it happens again.
December 21, 2011 1:05:08 PM

andy_in_kenya said:
Can you please post your system details? Also - is it a Realtek onboard soundchip?



ATI XFX 5850 (Stock)
GA-P55-USB3
4 gb corsair ram 1600mhz
650 watt corsair TX psu
i5 750 (stock)
December 26, 2011 6:16:00 PM

First I'd look up the sound devices in device manager (assuming you're on a Windows system). If there is an ATI/AMD HDAudio device try if disabling it solves your problem. (this could have been installed with your graphics drivers, since your card supports HDMI output.)

Another thing - out of my own experience and also according to quite a number of comments on the web the Realtek sound chips are a pain in the butt, and so or even worse are their drivers... I ended up installing an X-Fi extreme gamer because the Realtek sound on my Gigabyte board was so crappy. Not to mention the drivers from both, Gigabyte as well as Realtek themselves.

Well, just try. You can hardly break anything...
December 29, 2011 11:22:30 AM

andy_in_kenya said:
First I'd look up the sound devices in device manager (assuming you're on a Windows system). If there is an ATI/AMD HDAudio device try if disabling it solves your problem. (this could have been installed with your graphics drivers, since your card supports HDMI output.)

Another thing - out of my own experience and also according to quite a number of comments on the web the Realtek sound chips are a pain in the butt, and so or even worse are their drivers... I ended up installing an X-Fi extreme gamer because the Realtek sound on my Gigabyte board was so crappy. Not to mention the drivers from both, Gigabyte as well as Realtek themselves.

Well, just try. You can hardly break anything...


I have tried these to and it still froze (today acutally) i guess i need to try with a sound card, or play around with drivers...i dont know :( 
December 31, 2011 1:58:42 PM

Since you cannot find out when it freezes, it's hard to sugest to mute sound, or even disable all sound drivers (so we can rule-out sound issues).
What kind of videos do you mean? Youtube, avis? davcon (3rd post) already sugested to try disabling harwdare acceleration. Flash player by default uses it. Since the tech is still new, it could cause problems. Also try to disable some video post-processing effect from the catalyst driver.
PS: just because the sound is looping does not mean it is the problem.
January 2, 2012 12:40:43 PM

mathew7 said:
Since you cannot find out when it freezes, it's hard to sugest to mute sound, or even disable all sound drivers (so we can rule-out sound issues).
What kind of videos do you mean? Youtube, avis? davcon (3rd post) already sugested to try disabling harwdare acceleration. Flash player by default uses it. Since the tech is still new, it could cause problems. Also try to disable some video post-processing effect from the catalyst driver.
PS: just because the sound is looping does not mean it is the problem.



Youtube is where i watch videos everyday so that where i happends all the time. Hardware is acceleration is off. Also note that i never hade it happend while watching movie through WMP or VLC if that matters.


I cant find post-processing option in Catalyst.
!