$8,000 Budget On a Computer, Or Higher - Advice to make it better?

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I'm going to impress an investor in how well I can put together a computer, and his budget is $8,000 or higher, for a personal gaming computer.

Here is what I have so far, with $7,000 spent (theoretically).

Went with Intet i7-980 3.33GHz, Two EVGA GeForce GTX 580's, and you can check out the newegg wishlist for full details.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14849025

Any suggestions on how to make it more ridiculous?

My suggestion, spend half as much, then upgrade in 3 years, you will spend just as much but end up with a much better system in the end. Now if you really want to blow that much on a system, get parts that make sense.

I would grab the AX1200, its $100 cheaper than the strider, but it is an absolutely amazing unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014&Tpk=ax1200

You dont really want to RAID all your SSDs together, that will put a lot of wear and tear on them and kill them off a lot quicker.

Why does one need 2 super expensive bluray burners? Get one bluray burner and one bluray player, gives you two drives to work with but saves a ton.

24GB of memory will cause you nothing but issues when you want to overclock, having all the slots full makes the chips memory controller try harder to keep them stable, and at that speed, its going to be pretty stressed, you wont even be able to bump the voltage up on that memory at all to try to help keep it stable. Get some 1600MHz CL7 memory that runs at 1.35 or 1.5V, try not to start at max if you want to OC.

Did you just look for the most expensive keyboard and pick that? There is no way anyone can justify spending 170 on a keyboard, 80 maybe, 170 you need to go see a doctor and send me a good chunk of your spare change.

This delusional little rig has been fun to look at but we all know its just a troll

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Not a troll actually, just a loaded friend who WANTS to spend $8,000 on a computer.

I didnt ask how to save money, I asked how to make it more ridiculous.

Please don't troll my thread, and if you had half a clue about keyboards you would know why the Logitech G19 is that expensive. For serious gamers it is worth it, thank you.

And 2 blu-ray burners is for burning two blu-rays at once, quite obviously, use your damn brain.

Other than THAT, thanks for the advice on the memory+power supply

I'm sorry, but I have to troll. This is such a stupid build you have no idea. You are making a 7000$ build WITH NO WCING? What the crap? I'm sorry but the MOST you have to spend now a days for an enthusiast PC is 2000$. i7 2600K is good enough, in most cases performing at the same level as a i7 980X for 1/3 the price. Stick a Asrock Deluxe6 in there two 6950's 600$. Total that's the most expensive parts would be 1200$. After that a single SSD would do and even two burners would cost 200$. That'd be 1420$. (you only need a 60gb SSD) then just get the case 200$, 1620, 180$ for the PSU total about 1900$. then whatever. Then spend 1000$ on WCing and some for your asthetics. No way you need 8k.

I've heard one can easily blow $1000-$1400 or more on water cooling fittings/piping, etc; that might be a place to look.....

A company striving to make things so expensive that the products sit on the shelves, out of reach except to Warren Buffet, usually wil not last beyond two years...