Sign in with
Your question

GTX460 issues

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2010 12:10:44 PM

I've been having a few problems recently with ASUS GTX460's, currently on my third one after the first two died extremely prematurely (one month then one week) and I'm starting to get concerned that perhaps it's a system issue causing them to die rather then a string of faulty cards.

Temps arent a problem at all, idles around 27c and load gets it up to 56-58c, so nothing to get worried about there.
PSU's not an issue, voltages are fine on my 650w corsair.
Not overclocked any of them.

The only thing I've got to go on is a strange event which seems to occur randomly, it's only ever happened while sitting on desktop or in firefox but Aero will suddenly shut down and GPU temps will start to rapidly climb. Not sure what they'd top out at as I tend to shut it down at this point to try and avoid any risk, when it's powered back up everything's fine. Happened on two lots of drivers so far 258.96 and 260.99.
Nothing in event viewer, nothing to indicate a particular program causing it.

More about : gtx460 issues

November 16, 2010 2:24:17 PM

Nothing in event viewer at all?

What exactly happens when the Aero stops and the temps go up?

Also.. I went through 9 HDDs a while ago because I thought "can't be the PSU, all the voltages are fine" but I ended up swapping PSUs and all my issues went away.

It does seem odd that you're on your third and most people haven't had any issues with this card. I would suggest marking it (very slightly) so you know if you have to send this one back and get a new one.. it is actually a new card and not just a poor repair job.

What motherboard are these on?

Have you tried older drivers, like around the 197.xx area?
November 16, 2010 3:06:31 PM

Absolutely nothing in event viewer outside of the ordinary.

All that happens is that aero will suddenly shut down and that GPU temps'll start climbing fairly quickly, I always close down all running programs, makes no difference.

I'm sure that the three cards were different, the second one I got back was a repair job, there was dust on the back of the fan, so that one could have potentially been down to crappy repair job. Current one was completely clean, seems new.

Something I just remembered while typing this actually, it's also happened on my old GTX260 which I swapped in for a while after the first 460 died. Fairly sure it's happened to that once or twice in the past as well.

Running them on an ASUS P7P55D-E.

Do the 197.xx drivers actually support the GTX460?
Related resources
November 16, 2010 3:50:18 PM

If I was you, I would change PSU first when two card died in a roll. either PSU or MBo. but PSU has much more chance cause this issue and cheaper to test.
a b Î Nvidia
November 16, 2010 3:57:03 PM

Yes i have to agree with the idea that the PSU is your main culprit here.

Mactronix :) 
November 17, 2010 7:11:51 AM

The only thing that could be killing your cards off is motherboard, PSU or something to do with indian burial grounds ;) . If your motherboard was the cilprit I would assume you'd notice other issues such as unstable USB connections, PS2 ports failing, issues booting, and RAM failure.

Because (I assume) you're not getting these errors, PSU is what I would want to check straight the way. Unfortunately even if you checked all wires with the proper tools, that doesn't rule out that it's faulty and randomly dropping or upping voltages in spikes etc (as my old one seemed to be doing).

I believe the 197.xx drivers so support the GTX 460 (as I've seen people running the 470 and 480 on them) but if you try to get drivers through NVIDIA you can't get 197.xx by saying you have a GTX 460 - strange.

Anyway...
I would say get a new PSU as soon as you can. It would be a shame to lose your other components because of it also.
November 17, 2010 10:44:21 AM

I was dreading it potentially being a PSU issue, could attempt an RMA but if it's an intermittent issue then my guess is they'll simply mark it as no fault found and charge me for a return.

For now I'll live life dangerously and leave it as it is, the first two will have to temporarily be put down to bad luck and see what happens with the latest edition, if that fails any time soon it'll be time for a mass RMA. Hopefully by that point Scan will be sick of sending me new cards and go along with the idea that the PSU's borked.
November 17, 2010 10:55:13 AM

flaminggerbil said:
I was dreading it potentially being a PSU issue, could attempt an RMA but if it's an intermittent issue then my guess is they'll simply mark it as no fault found and charge me for a return.

For now I'll live life dangerously and leave it as it is, the first two will have to temporarily be put down to bad luck and see what happens with the latest edition, if that fails any time soon it'll be time for a mass RMA. Hopefully by that point Scan will be sick of sending me new cards and go along with the idea that the PSU's borked.

With regards to the intermittent fault its the other way round. They cannot guarantee that its working 100%, so they have to replace it. If not, speak to trading standards (or say you will to them and surely enough, they will replace it). Thats why i dont use scan anymore. Awful customer service.

November 17, 2010 11:50:40 AM

reccy said:
With regards to the intermittent fault its the other way round. They cannot guarantee that its working 100%, so they have to replace it. If not, speak to trading standards (or say you will to them and surely enough, they will replace it). Thats why i dont use scan anymore. Awful customer service.

They were fine with me until the second card RMA, gave me an invalid number, lost my card. Luckily a phonecall and email later they'd managed to sort themselves out to a degree, even if it did take them a couple of weeks from my initial request to get everything done.
November 17, 2010 12:09:49 PM

flaminggerbil said:
They were fine with me until the second card RMA, gave me an invalid number, lost my card. Luckily a phonecall and email later they'd managed to sort themselves out to a degree, even if it did take them a couple of weeks from my initial request to get everything done.

Similar scenario with what i had with a Monitor i bought from them.. I sent it back to them as it kept going blue and shutting off.. They said it was something to do with my setup even though i tried it on serveral different setups/PC's..

So spoke to Trading Standards and got back onto scan.. 3 days later brand new monitor at my door.. :) 
!