Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Overheating after removing and cleaning the Heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2011 7:21:44 AM

Hey everybody,
I am having quite a big problem right now. I recently took out my CPU heatsink fan (Intel Stock LGA 775 cooler) to clean all the dust accumulated in it. After the cleaning work was done, I placed it back and slotted it correctly in the sockets with a reasonable amount of pressure. The problem is, my CPU is cooking now. At idle, temperatures are wandering around 50-57 degrees Celsius (before it was 41-43) and with load, it is around 75-85 degrees (before it was 55-60).

Is there a problem with the Thermal Interface Material? The CPU cooler fan is working fine. I have a blind spot in this area but I not a total computer noob. :kaola:  I have ordered a new thermal compound from the internet but just for future purposes, I wanted to know the reasons for such a happening. My PC configuration is as follows-

Mobo: ASUS P5KPL AM/PS Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz
Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GT 240

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
April 9, 2011 8:07:04 AM

By the sounds of things,
You didnt clean off and replace the old paste when you removed the Hs, You should do that everytime you remove the cooler, I think once you get your new paste on there you should see your temps go back to 'normal' if not improve
Good job on cleaning it out though
Moto
April 9, 2011 11:54:50 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
By the sounds of things,
You didnt clean off and replace the old paste when you removed the Hs, You should do that everytime you remove the cooler, I think once you get your new paste on there you should see your temps go back to 'normal' if not improve
Good job on cleaning it out though
Moto

Thanks a lot for the info. I will actually do that when the new paste arrives by Monday. Also, I have another question to you and everybody out here:
Will a solution of 70% ethyl alcohol be OK to remove the old thermal paste? I am not able to find a 90-99% isopropyl alcohol near my home's drug stores.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
April 9, 2011 12:39:13 PM

Yes. The higher concentration is better, but 70% will work.
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:22:18 PM

Best answer selected by a4rocks.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 9, 2011 7:20:51 PM

Thankyou for B.a. man, let us know how you fare on monday ok :) 
Moto
m
l
April 10, 2011 10:32:11 AM

Sure not a problem at all. :) 
m
l
April 11, 2011 12:57:46 PM

OK people I did apply the thermal paste. I hope I have done it correctly. I am now writing this immediately after applying the thermal paste and am getting around 1-2 degrees Celsius lesser than the previous situation. I know I should wait a bit longer but what is the reasonable time period I should wait before I see temperatures returning to normal?

I have used a Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste.
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:35:20 AM

You didn't do anything else when you removed the Heatsink to clean it? And how did you apply the TMI? Was it spread very very thin or dud you do the "grain of rice in middle of CPU" thing then reinstall the Heatsink? You do have to give it some time for the Therman Grease to start working correctly, but something else must have changed if the temps went over 10 Deg C

~Des
m
l
April 12, 2011 8:26:04 AM

Thanks for the help. It is solved now. The main problem was the heatsink fan wasn't seating well in the position due to a faulty pin on the HSF. After a bit of twisting, turning and changing positions, it finally sat well and now I am back to normal temps. I used the "pea in the middle of the CPU" method.
m
l
!