Sign in with
Your question

No blu ray movie playability?WTF!?

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2011 2:58:24 AM

I own a asus Rampage II X58 mobo with 24 GB DDR3 memory.
Bought a LG Blue drive(the 6x blu ray burner) and a Ati 6870. Im using Win 7 Ultimate Signature Edition and have 5 x 1 TB HDD with a 1200W PSU. Now the question.. why the heck cant i see my blu ray movies?
Im using a Soyo 22 " LCD monitor until next week. Upgrading to a 40 if not 50 " TV as monitor... Looking forward to see what happens when i try to play Eve in that :p 
But back to my question.. what could be wrong?
Im also using a 980 i7 processor so shouldnt be a bottleneck!
January 14, 2011 3:08:05 AM

What do you mean you can't see the movies? We need more information before we're able to help you. What program are you trying to use to play them?
m
l
January 14, 2011 3:25:18 AM

Codec issue?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 3:18:24 PM

You need a Blue-ray program such as cyberlink or total Theatre that include blu-ray. No freebees on blu-ray. Cost veries from around 50 -> 100 bucks. Retail drives normally include the program, and SOME of the OEM drives include. Newegg sometimes throws a copy in with their oem drives - but not a given.
m
l
February 7, 2011 3:14:57 PM

I have a 6870 and that same br drive I'm having issues in the power DVD that came with the drive. Blu rays are all jittery and pixilated I can't figure out what's goin on
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2011 4:33:40 PM

leif2006
Need more info.
Blu-ray play back is fine on much lower GPUs, Ie Plays fine on my 5770 GPU and on My laptop igp, which is VERY lowend for a GPU..

promble could be:
(1) cpu (if old verision or low speed
(2) Dvd/Blu-ray player in incorrect mode, ie PIO vs UDM mode
(3) software conflict.
m
l
February 8, 2011 4:07:56 PM

I have an 17 950 so I don't think that's it, I'm not sure how to set the player to udm though, and I have power DVD 9 on a blu ray suite it's not activated though so I wonder if that's my problem. Bd adviser says it's my display drivers but I have the last ccc Sri has put out so I'm stumped! Once again though what Is udm?
m
l
February 9, 2011 3:52:29 PM

Yeah I realized what you meant and looked yesterday but there is no setting in the device manager for that drive just my harddrives I have a gigabyte ud3r 12gigs of mem i7 950 and lg blu ray writer all drivers up to date I set my pixels to rgb limited yesterday and that corrected some of the green tint I was seeing before but now the whole high def opening is stuttering. Actuall movie playback is a lot better but still stutters every once in a while
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2011 5:25:53 PM

Try this:
Go to device manager.
Uncollapse IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
For all "ATA Channel x Under properties Verify DMA mode is checked
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:16:36 PM

Yeah udma 6... It's got to be powerdvd. I realized yesterday it's version 8 not 9 so I may do some research and get new software... Its weird though cuz it lags like something is trying to catch up not so much like it's a codec issue and some movies are worse then others, but it's always the same spot on the movie until I restart then it will be a different part of the movie until I restart ect ect. Some titles however play flawlessly dinner for smuchs for example= perfect crystal clear everything my eyes desired... Repomen=stuttered twice through out the movie, it was annoying at worst. social networking not watchable looked like I was watching a jacked up atari
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:26:12 PM

Actually I lied udma 6 is on the ata channel 0 option. Achi serial ata control doesn't have anywhere to set it
m
l
!