Sign in with
Your question

HELP! I went over TJmax 72.6 C with my i5 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2011 2:21:36 PM

Hi.

I was doing Prime95 and after about 10 minutes or so my CPU reached 73 C according to RealTemp .... did I damage it?? It still runs good, but I didn't know that TJmax was 72.6 at the time or I would've shut down b4 reaching that temp.

Anyways, I'm running the stock heatsink/fan and it's seated correctly, but maybe I applied the "arctic silver" too thick?? I used my finger to spread a thin layer and didn't leave any gaps in it. I read now on "Arctic silver" website that I should've used the "line" method for my CPU type. I'm gonna redo it.

So I guess my question also is ... did I hurt the CPU by having it go to 73 C?? I hope not.

More about : tjmax 2500k

April 9, 2011 2:35:46 PM

Short answer ......no.Thats normal temps for stock heatsink.Though you dont want it to hit those temps under regular use.I assume youre overclocking and checking it with prime95.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2011 2:47:43 PM

your temps are bad..but, there won't be any detrimental effects... however, I would recommend checking your thermal paste, and reapplying if necessary..that's way too high..did you overclock it yet? or is that @ stock you get those temps?
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 9, 2011 3:16:53 PM

As long as you have not disabled thermal throttling, the CPU will protect itself, if you plan continuing this direction you're taking, you need a better cooling solution!
m
l
April 9, 2011 3:23:37 PM

TJ Max for the 2500k is 98C IIRC....
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:29:41 PM

According to intel website TJmax is 72.6 C not 98 C, that's the core temp max I think.

Anyways, Yes I'm running "stock" voltage and getting these temps, not overclocking nor do I want to overclock right now. I'm gonna do the "line" method as suggested by 'arctic silver's' website for the i5 2500k cpu.

Also, I know that "idle" temps don't matter, but I idle at around 32-33 C according to Realtemp and 30-31 according to HWmonitor.
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:44:44 PM

as i said, reapply the TIM...and see what your temps are at..because those temps are a bit high after such a short amount of time..i suspect that could be the problem
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:51:15 PM

asantesoul said:
as i said, reapply the TIM...and see what your temps are at..because those temps are a bit high after such a short amount of time..i suspect that could be the problem

thanks asantesoul. I'm gonna use the 'line' method and put it vertical as suggested by arctic silver website for the i5, is this ok? They said it will spread once I put the heatsink on the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2011 5:13:03 PM

keto6789 said:
According to intel website TJmax is 72.6 C not 98 C, that's the core temp max I think.

Anyways, Yes I'm running "stock" voltage and getting these temps, not overclocking nor do I want to overclock right now. I'm gonna do the "line" method as suggested by 'arctic silver's' website for the i5 2500k cpu.

Also, I know that "idle" temps don't matter, but I idle at around 32-33 C according to Realtemp and 30-31 according to HWmonitor.

TjMax is around 100C I believe. It will probably start to throttle at 90C, and completely shut itself off at 100C (or 98C).

The Tcase is 72C. This is Intel recommended max operating temperature for long term use.

Try doing your most intense CPU task without Prime95 and see what your temps get to, I'm doubting you'll get too close to the heat Prime can produce.
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:28:48 PM

Tcase and TJMax are two totally different things. Mid-70's is perfectly acceptable for long term use...
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:31:58 PM

Raidur said:
TjMax is around 100C I believe. It will probably start to throttle at 90C, and completely shut itself off at 100C (or 98C).

The Tcase is 72C. This is Intel recommended max operating temperature for long term use.

Try doing your most intense CPU task without Prime95 and see what your temps get to, I'm doubting you'll get too close to the heat Prime can produce.

So If the 4 boxes in Realtemp that display the core temps reach 72.6 or a little higher that's ok?? I should only be worried if they get up to 80 or over maybe?
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:38:47 PM

Even 80C will not damage your cpu. It will throttle itself to protect from heat damage. Its just not a good idea to run over 80C constantly under normal usage. Keep it below 80C for long term use (preferrably below 75C long term to be safe).

Also remember that Prime95 and other stress testing will create abnormally high temps. You will be unlikely to see these temps during normal pc usage (IBT heats my cpu up to 73C but I rarely go over 62C just gaming)....
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:44:26 PM

Thanks, yeah I know that I'll most likely NEVER see work like it's generated in Prime95, heck I don't even play games really, mostly just mulittask on the web and download stuff, etc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2011 6:04:10 PM

If Intel didn't cheap out on the fans everybody's temps wouldn't be so bad. What a shame.
m
l
April 10, 2011 7:01:17 AM

yeah..that is an okay method...truthfully speaking, sometimes you have to try various methods..to each his own...but the line method diagonally on the chip is one way..hopefully this brings down the temps! let me know what happens !!
m
l
April 10, 2011 2:22:57 PM

asantesoul said:
yeah..that is an okay method...truthfully speaking, sometimes you have to try various methods..to each his own...but the line method diagonally on the chip is one way..hopefully this brings down the temps! let me know what happens !!

Thanks Asantesoul. Yes, I used the line vertical method as advised on the arctic silver site for my i5 CPU and that did the trick. Now when I run Prime95 I don't even get into the 70's, the highest I got was 67 C after 15-20 minutes. That's not too bad considering these are "torture" tests and my computer will never really see this kind of stress.
m
l
April 10, 2011 3:34:42 PM

after that much time it still seems a bit high...but, I could be wrong..you are using the intel heatsink afterall...perhaps some curing time may reduce the load times...run the tests every other day and see if the temps get lower...i think it should..but, for the time being...your alright
m
l
April 10, 2011 4:35:22 PM

asantesoul said:
after that much time it still seems a bit high...but, I could be wrong..you are using the intel heatsink afterall...perhaps some curing time may reduce the load times...run the tests every other day and see if the temps get lower...i think it should..but, for the time being...your alright

I think 67 for Prime95 with the stock heatsink is just about right. "hardwarecanucks" site did a test with Prime95 and got 65 c as their high temp with the stock cooler. I think the people that get below 50c with Prime are running aftermarket coolers, but I'm kind of new to all this.

I highly doubt I'm gonna get any cooler than that if I keep messing with the paste and heatsink. To get cooler I'm gonna have to get a CM 212. But, remember that 67 c is at FULL load with Prime95, something that's never gonna take place on my computer in real life anyways.
m
l
April 10, 2011 4:50:18 PM

yeah...seemed off to me..but, i realized while writing that it's the stock heatsink..so your good right now man! Enjoy the pc!
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:01:05 AM

I just built a PC running a 2500k on a MSI P67S-C43 Mobo with a Cooler Master RR-H101 80mm fan/heatsink. With Prime95 running the torture test I hit about 67c max in a two hour time frame. Oh, and the TIM I'm using is Arctic Cooling MX-2. My processor is OC'd to 4.4Ghz Voltage set at 1.3 but runs at about 1.288. Seems stable so far. I've run several torture tests and gamed a little here and there in between. Is this a little high or does it seem to be about where it should be? This is just a gaming rig and won't be running full load 24/7. Playing Red Orchestra 2 beta my max temps hit about 56-57c. Same with Deus Ex: HR.

Intel 2500k
MSI P67S-C43(B3)
G-Skill Ripjaws X Series 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600
Antec Neo Eco 620c
PNY 460GTX XLR8 OC Edition
WD Caviar Black 750GB Sata3
Antec 300 Illusion
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:05:53 AM

keto6789 said:

use the x method or pea sized blob method....a line will not cover to the edges.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:10:02 AM

keto6789 said:

also the intel website says the t CASE max is 72.6....no the t J max

there is a difference
m
l
!