Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 temps stock heatsink/fan i5 2500k not OC'd

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2011 2:34:34 PM

Hi.

My CPU (i5 2500k) is in 'normal' vcore (0.9 to 1.2) and not overclocked and I have the stock heatsink/fan with arctic silver applied. I ran the test for Prime95 and accidently got the CPU to 73 C after about 10 minutes (2 of the cores anyways) before knowing that's not good. Anyways, I'm gonna re-apply with line method, etc.

Is it reasonable to expect to run Prime95 (in stock config) and stay under TJmax temps? Cause in my current config I'd say NO I've done something wrong in regards to putting the heatsink fan on or the paste.

Should I even run Prime95 with the stock cooler??
April 9, 2011 3:29:25 PM

Where is this bad info coming from about burning up your 2500k at 73C? TJ Max is 98C and I have run my 2600k to mid 80's several times during OC testing without issue. THese cpuis' will protect themselves from detrimental temps. As far as normal day-to-day operating, I'd keep it under 75C during heavy stress and you'll be fine. 73C for the stock cooler is totally normal as far as I know....
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:34:41 PM

majin ssj eric said:
Where is this bad info coming from about burning up your 2500k at 73C? TJ Max is 98C and I have run my 2600k to mid 80's several times during OC testing without issue. THese cpuis' will protect themselves from detrimental temps. As far as normal day-to-day operating, I'd keep it under 75C during heavy stress and you'll be fine. 73C for the stock cooler is totally normal as far as I know....

intel's website says the TJmax for the i5 2500k is 72.6 C, I'll try and find the url.
Here it is. Sorry, upon 2nd look that is "Tcase" temp according to intel. Is Tcase the same as tjmax??
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52210
m
l
!