Need GPU ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenberry

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I have a 4870x2, it still works as long as I don't play games
One I play a game poof 105 not playing games 80
It use to be at like 45 to 75, but not sure what went wrong.

Was looking for an alternate method, but they all out of stock as if people don't still have these cards. That like not being able to find a cooling fan for an LLA775. It just ridiculous to me. I just really need something that can carry me over until I can get enough for another 2 or 4gb card. Next time I know to purchase alternate cooling when I get the thing. I have had this card for 1.5 to 2.5 years so so I guess it is worn out playing all the games on high.

I have an 850 psu,
4gb ram
PCI slot 2.0

if it needs extra cooling please let me know.

If I can afford it I was hoping to get a 1gb at 256bit
I will leave the rest of the technical thing to the gurus.

Thanks its a shame a have to retire a bad ass card.

Solution
take the card out, blow all the dust out of the heatsink/fan with compressed air, then try it again. If still no good, remove the heatsink and remove all the old thermal paste. then reapply new AS5 thermal paste and reinstall heatsink. try it again. Also get msi afterburner and change the fan speed profile to get the fan spinning faster. If none of that works, then yes, something is likely to be wrong with the card.
take the card out, blow all the dust out of the heatsink/fan with compressed air, then try it again. If still no good, remove the heatsink and remove all the old thermal paste. then reapply new AS5 thermal paste and reinstall heatsink. try it again. Also get msi afterburner and change the fan speed profile to get the fan spinning faster. If none of that works, then yes, something is likely to be wrong with the card.

Solution

shenberry

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I have heard of the thermal paste addition, but if i screw that up the card want be any use. As well, I will need a video tutorial. I am visual I want be able to figure this out on my own.

Can the fans really run faster than 100 in the configuration with CCC? As well if the fans is running at 200% how long will it be before the fans fails. As well, I can try the thermal paste as that is cheaper than the a new GTX. I just don't want to screw any thing up. I have already properly damaged this card enough running it at 105C just to play video games.

AG Renagade

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hows the cooling in your case? I also would agree with iam2thecrowe, remove the heatsink and re-apply thermal paste. Running fans past 100% is possibly but you'll fry the motor quickly and then your card is gone anyways so I wouldn't go that way. What I would do is change the thermal paste and possible mount a 120mm fan inside the case to blow air onto the graphics card.

shenberry

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Temps are back to factory specs
GPU Clock = 750, Mem Clock = 900 Temp = 40C fan = 80%

VS before cleaning and reapplying thermal paste
GPU Clock = 507, Mem Clock = 500 Temp = 89C fan = 80%

HAven't tested any games yet, but wanted to say thanks for the links and telling me just to clean it instead of spending money on a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.