autotroll & SMTP/IMAP

Last response: in Video Games
May 20, 2005 4:17:48 AM

Hi folks!

I would like to be a new host under the vgap stars. Now i am busy to
setup autotroll and his mailfeatures. Is there a possibility to use
only SMTP for incoming messages or maybe IMAP?

Greetings

Alex Huth

More about : autotroll smtp imap

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:39:34 AM

Sure i would like to use Autotroll. But as i´m already using a SMTP
and IMAP Server, i would like to use this instead of POP3. Just another
service, which is not need by any other person.
It just would be nice if autotroll´s smtp can receive messages as a
normal SMTP-Server instead of polling a POP3.

Alex
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:55:07 AM

ahuth@pinguintown.de wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I would like to be a new host under the vgap stars. Now i am busy to
> setup autotroll and his mailfeatures. Is there a possibility to use
> only SMTP for incoming messages or maybe IMAP?

You can only use SMTP for outgoing. You'd have to use POP3 for incoming.

Other than that, I'm not sure I followed just exactly what it is you were
asking. Were you _not_ going to be using AutoTroll?

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host

ahuth@pinguintown.de wrote:

> Sure i would like to use Autotroll. But as i´m already using a SMTP
> and IMAP Server, i would like to use this instead of POP3. Just another
> service, which is not need by any other person.
> It just would be nice if autotroll´s smtp can receive messages as a
> normal SMTP-Server instead of polling a POP3.

Nonono... you're not getting it...

POP3 and SMTP go hand in hand... IMAP4, on the other hand, is a different
method entirely.

You cannot receive with SMTP... you can only transmit with SMTP. Similarly,
you cannot send with POP3, you can only receive with it.

When you send out messages, you're doing it with an SMTP service.

Your mailbox, is a POP3 service.

IMAP4? ... well, that's a different protocol entirely, and AutoTroll doesn't
support it.

However, you can use Hamster to manage all of your POP3/SMTP connections (handy
for outgoing email, as AutoTroll won't authenticate with SMTP servers, and Hamster
will)

Hamster can also manage an IMAP4 service, and an NNTP service if you want also.

You can set up Hamster to handle sending/receiving your email to/from your ISP's
mail services, and pass them to AutoTroll using POP3/SMTP service between AutoTroll
and Hamster.

You would be basically running your own personal mail service on your own computer
or LAN. One handy thing about this is that your ISP's email service might time out
while AutoTroll is processing incoming messages. Doesn't happen for everyone, but
some brain-dead admins think having their timeouts set low is a good thing. (its not).

This would also help to speed up the operation of AutoTroll, since it isn't spending
a lot of time polling and waiting for email. It just connects locally to Hamster
quick, and continues with its run. Let Hamster handle all of the polling and waiting
and timeouts and bounced messages and stuff.

I don't have a link for Hamster handy, but there are a few newsgroups devoted to
it. Check out your NNTP service's newsgroup list for groups in the hamster.*
heirarchy. They're good about handholding newbies who are just getting started.

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host
mail: jazz@grnet.com mail: imperium@strixy.com
ICQ : #26588685 IRC : UnderNet #VGAplanets
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:49:24 PM

ahuth@pinguintown.de wrote:
> It just would be nice if autotroll´s smtp can receive messages as a
> normal SMTP-Server instead of polling a POP3.

So you want to make Autotroll be a real mail server? Like sendmail? With
an own domain name, and an 'MX' entry in the DNS? 24x7 availability on a
fixed IP? With its own spooling engine? Spam / DOS protection? Bounce
processing? Security holes?

This will of course not work. You cannot turn a pure client a server.
Would you ask how to turn Outlook Express into a mail server?

So either you have phrased your posting in such a way that at least two
people now did not understand it, or you're asking something impossible.

Autotroll can just poll a SMTP server (or so I gather, I do not use it).
You have to make a separate server, with all the above features. Hamster
would come to mind. Or sendmail. Or whatever.

Stefan
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:49:25 PM

Stefan Reuther wrote:
> ahuth@pinguintown.de wrote:
>
>>It just would be nice if autotroll´s smtp can receive messages as a
>>normal SMTP-Server instead of polling a POP3.
>
> This will of course not work. You cannot turn a pure client a server.
> Would you ask how to turn Outlook Express into a mail server?

and really, who would want to?

> So either you have phrased your posting in such a way that at least two
> people now did not understand it, or you're asking something impossible.

glad it wasn't just me. :)

> Autotroll can just poll a SMTP server (or so I gather, I do not use it).
> You have to make a separate server, with all the above features. Hamster
> would come to mind. Or sendmail. Or whatever.

AutoTroll's SMTP routines are limited. It won't authenticate. Some servers
require SMTP authentication, others require POP3 auth before SMTP. AutoTroll
can do neither, it has no support for passwords during SMTP.

You'd need to run your own SMTP service to send out messages, and that's
why I went looking for Hamster in the first place. It worked out so well,
that I've since reconfigured all of my email-related programs to go through
Hamster.

It'll also use POP3 too, so if he has his own domain name, he can use Hamster
to collect incoming emails and hold em for AutoTroll's next poll.

With AutoTroll set to poll every minute or so, he'll pretty much get what,
I think, he was looking for.

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host
mail: jazz@grnet.com mail: imperium@strixy.com
ICQ : #26588685 IRC : UnderNet #VGAplanets
May 21, 2005 6:45:50 PM

> You cannot receive with SMTP... you can only transmit with SMTP. Similarly,
> you cannot send with POP3, you can only receive with it.

My smtp daemon is quite capable of receiving messages, thank you.
The smtp daemon you talk to when sending mail accepts your messages, as
well.

Long ago, on the original Arena, we had sendmail + procmail to handle
incoming TRN mails immediately.

I totally agree you do not want autotroll to be an smtp daemon, it
wouldn't scale beyond anything but VGAP email.

Using Hamster (if it is what I think it is) as a proxy, or a cache, or a
bridge, utilizing the capabilities autotroll already has, seems
reasonable enough. Note that I know neither autotroll nor hamster.

+--- Kero ------------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:04:32 AM

Kero wrote:

>>You cannot receive with SMTP... you can only transmit with SMTP. Similarly,
>>you cannot send with POP3, you can only receive with it.
>
> My smtp daemon is quite capable of receiving messages, thank you.
> The smtp daemon you talk to when sending mail accepts your messages, as
> well.

True... but what you're running is behaving as a server itself. At some
point, unless you're reading the mail spool file directly tho, it will
have to sit in a mailbox somewhere, where POP3 and IMAP4 come into play.

From a strictly user end, what I said was correct. From a server end,
what you said was correct.

> Using Hamster (if it is what I think it is) as a proxy, or a cache, or a
> bridge, utilizing the capabilities autotroll already has, seems
> reasonable enough. Note that I know neither autotroll nor hamster.

It has actually turned out to be a lot more handy than I initially
thought Hamster would be. You know how the Win9x series of computers
had limits to the number of simultaneous connections you could have
open, among other problems. Plus, being on dialup, brings in some more
of its own problems too.

I always liked to be able to access my email from any computer in the
house. Sometimes, if I left my email program open on one computer, it,
and the other computer, would sometimes try to poll at the same time.

If any of my POP3/SMTP hosts were being flaky (I got 4, it happens often
enough to be annoying), I have to save my outgoing message for later
delivery, and send manually later. With Hamster, it'll just keep retrying
on its own.

And, now, my whole LAN relies on just one central point for email to come
in and out, simplifying my virus scanning on incoming messages as well as
spam checking.

Hamster was a pleasant suprise. I highly recommend it for those looking
for something other than a commercial application. :)

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host
mail: jazz@grnet.com mail: imperium@strixy.com
ICQ : #26588685 IRC : UnderNet #VGAplanets
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:57:31 PM

If your host program can send it's files using it's own SMTP engine, you
could still use another Mail application to handle incoming messages. I've
been busy with Mercury (free from Pegasus Mail) which has an option to drop
attachements in a pre specified directory and has a very large scriping
support. It is however badly documented so you have to try yourself if it
will really work.

Norbert

!