small compact underwater digital camera ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 27, 2005 10:28:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

Hello,

I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
separate housing, do they exist?

I dont care much about quality of pics underwater, I will carry it
down to max 50 mt ( 150 ft ) but mainly I will take pics above 10 mt (
33 ft ) while doing decompression, or on the surface.

Please tell me what brand/models are available.

Thanks,

Mario
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

50m is probably too much to expect without a pretty serious housing...
most housings only rate to 30 or 40M. I'm not aware of any compact
underwater digitals ... any of those would probably be limited to 5M!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:34:40 PM

"Mario" <marmagi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
> separate housing, do they exist?

The only one I know of is the Reefmaster. All the camera stores seem to
carry them.
January 27, 2005 7:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

I have had great success with the Canon A70 and the separate underwater
housing. Divers have told me that they weren't very happy with the
results from the cheap submersibles sold at many dive shops.

Try adorama, they have a selection of underwater cameras. You can also
try Leisure pro. They are a sister company of adorama and sell dive
equipment.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 9:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

well five secounds with google turned up this

http://tinyurl.com/67emk

"Mario" <marmagi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
> separate housing, do they exist?
>
> I dont care much about quality of pics underwater, I will carry it
> down to max 50 mt ( 150 ft ) but mainly I will take pics above 10 mt (
> 33 ft ) while doing decompression, or on the surface.
>
> Please tell me what brand/models are available.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:38:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

marmagi@hotmail.com (Mario) pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
:I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
:separate housing, do they exist?

I don't think so. Waterproofing the usb, video, power, etc ports
would make it expensive. Plus, the housed digitals are so much
smaller and lighter than their film counterparts.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

January 28, 2005 12:38:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

sure no problem how deep 40-60'
http://www.tweakmonster.com/products/camera_page1.htm

200'?

http://www.waterproofcameras.com/cgi/fwg.cgi?page=/came...

Wayne

"Dan Bracuk" <NOTbracuk@pathcom.com> wrote in message
> marmagi@hotmail.com (Mario) pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
> :I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
> :separate housing, do they exist?
>
> I don't think so. Waterproofing the usb, video, power, etc ports
> would make it expensive. Plus, the housed digitals are so much
> smaller and lighter than their film counterparts.
>
> Dan Bracuk
> If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
January 28, 2005 1:31:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

You would be better off with a small conventional digital camera, such as
the Sony DSCP100 or an Olympus mU range and their matching housings which
are all rated for 40m / 133fsw.

Better quality (4,5 or 7meg Pixel), good lenses and known quality of
housings.

"Mario" <marmagi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
> separate housing, do they exist?
>
> I dont care much about quality of pics underwater, I will carry it
> down to max 50 mt ( 150 ft ) but mainly I will take pics above 10 mt (
> 33 ft ) while doing decompression, or on the surface.
>
> Please tell me what brand/models are available.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:40:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

Dan Bracuk <NOTbracuk@pathcom.com> wrote:

>marmagi@hotmail.com (Mario) pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
>:I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
>:separate housing, do they exist?

>I don't think so. Waterproofing the usb, video, power, etc ports
>would make it expensive. Plus, the housed digitals are so much
>smaller and lighter than their film counterparts.

Yeah, but the video output is really not all that useful, and
USB has the advantage of very few (4) contacts. That, and maybe
three for intelligent power would be extremely easy (7 gold
contacts with a cradle for download, though with non-standard
contacts you might as well share power & ground with the dc
battery charge supply and reduce it further!). Memory and
battery hatches could just be o-ring screw-down sealed, with
the compartments being flood-proof to the rest of the camera.

I think it's an absolutely ideal application, especially since
white balance can help correct for the light colour-filtering
at shallower depths. Make it a 'zlr' style so that zooming
doesn't change external profile, and encorporate some powerful
flash and capacitive/proximity zoom and shutter switches, and
bob's your uncle.

The problem, as I see it, is a limited market.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

Mario <marmagi@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
>separate housing, do they exist?
>
>I dont care much about quality of pics underwater, I will carry it
>down to max 50 mt ( 150 ft ) but mainly I will take pics above 10 mt (
>33 ft ) while doing decompression, or on the surface.

We have a separate housing for the Olympus 3040, and love it.
It's not -that- compact, but not really big either. It's good fun.

Do you often dive to 50m? Nitrox, I guess? That's a hefty depth.
(Though cave divers here have gone to 271m, but the last guy to do
it died a couple of weeks ago)

--
Ken Tough
January 28, 2005 9:37:03 PM

"Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote in message
> Mario <marmagi@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like a small compact underwater digital camera. One without a
> >separate housing, do they exist?
> >
> >I dont care much about quality of pics underwater, I will carry it
> >down to max 50 mt ( 150 ft ) but mainly I will take pics above 10 mt (
> >33 ft ) while doing decompression, or on the surface.
>
> We have a separate housing for the Olympus 3040, and love it.
> It's not -that- compact, but not really big either. It's good fun.
>
> Do you often dive to 50m? Nitrox, I guess?

I doubt he's diving nitrox to 50m.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:00:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> pounded away at his keyboard resulting
in:
:Yeah, but the video output is really not all that useful,

Perhaps not for you, but certainly for me. I like to hook my camera
up to a telly at the end of the day and cull my shots. While the
image is not as good as downloading to a computer, it is better than
the camera display. I have been able to do this both on liveaboard
diveboats and resorts.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

January 28, 2005 10:41:42 PM

> Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> pounded away at his keyboard resulting
> in:
> :Yeah, but the video output is really not all that useful,
>
> Perhaps not for you, but certainly for me. I like to hook my camera
> up to a telly at the end of the day and cull my shots. While the
> image is not as good as downloading to a computer, it is better than
> the camera display. I have been able to do this both on liveaboard
> diveboats and resorts.
>
> Dan Bracuk
> If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

> News==----
> Newsgroups

Thanks for the reminder, I need a longer cable for just that purpose, or
else, I will make one up. Very handy for 'show and tell' time at the resort.

.....85 days until Coco View.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> pounded away at his
keyboard resulting in:
:Thanks for the reminder, I need a longer cable for just that purpose, or
:else, I will make one up. Very handy for 'show and tell' time at the resort.

The only time that was an issue was on the Solmar V where the tvs in
the room had the video feeds at the back, and the room was on a shelf
above the bed.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

January 29, 2005 9:46:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba.equipment (More info?)

"Dan Bracuk" <NOTbracuk@pathcom.com> wrote in message
(snip), and the room was on a shelf
> above the bed.

Wow, I'd heard that the rooms in some of those liveaboards were small, but
that's really something.

(wg)
!