Sign in with
Your question

SSD upgrade help

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2011 1:02:24 PM

Hi guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my system with an SSD. I'm wondering about re-installing windows. Obviously I'll have to install windows on the SSD, but will this mean I have to reinstall everything on my current HDD? I had to reinstall windows a few months ago when I replaced my motherboard and it was a massive pain reinstalling everything apart from the odd program like WoW that installs everything in one directory. I might put off the upgrade for another while if I need to go through that whole thing again.

Thanks in advance!

More about : ssd upgrade

January 14, 2011 5:31:13 PM

zamn10210 said:
Hi guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my system with an SSD. I'm wondering about re-installing windows. Obviously I'll have to install windows on the SSD, but will this mean I have to reinstall everything on my current HDD? I had to reinstall windows a few months ago when I replaced my motherboard and it was a massive pain reinstalling everything apart from the odd program like WoW that installs everything in one directory. I might put off the upgrade for another while if I need to go through that whole thing again.

Thanks in advance!

I upgraded to an intel 80 GB SSD and then returned it when my router died but I did get to use the SSD for a week. It did make my computer boot faster and what not but I did not think it was worth the 200 some bucks for 80 GB of storage. Anywho I used this program to clone my existing HD and move it to the SSD. It was really easy to use and took about an hour.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 6:59:12 PM

You'll see a difference. My PC is faster than me with an SSD, I don't wait for anything. I pulled my mechanical drive, installed the SSD and installed Win7 on it, then reinstalled the mechanical to save my apps. I transferred the ones I need quickly to the SSD, and have 10GB free.
Related resources
January 14, 2011 7:21:00 PM

Unfortunately I'm looking at a 60GB SSD and I have hundreds of GB of data on my current HDD so just cloning it all isn't an option.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking if an SSD will be a worthwhile upgrade, I'm familiar with the performance advantages. I'm asking whether it will force me to reinstall everything on my computer and re-downloaded hundreds of GB of games from Steam.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 7:34:44 PM

No.
January 14, 2011 7:44:40 PM

So I just install windows on the SSD and all of the programs on the current HDD will continue to work?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 8:11:07 PM

Yep. You'll have to select boot priority and boot off the SSD, then you can delete the old Windows folder, or just leave it alone as a justincase.
January 14, 2011 9:08:33 PM

Ok, thanks very much for the help, I guess I'll invest then.
January 14, 2011 9:25:06 PM

This won't work for the programs, only your data.
January 14, 2011 9:35:38 PM

Well I was clearly asking about programs. Of course data will be fine.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 9:42:19 PM

Yes, it will work with your applications. How do I know this? Because I just did it 30 days ago.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 14, 2011 10:59:40 PM

Here's a guide:

http://sonic-media.dk/?p=103

Personally, if the install is more than a year old, I'd take the opportunity to clear all the old stuff out anyway. Much easier if ya have partitioned ya drive in the 1st place. With just Windows on C:\ of the HD and other partitions for swap / temp (D), Games (E) , programs (F) .... I just unplugged the HD, installed Windoze to the SSD, reconnected the HD, deleted the old C and D partitions, then resized E and F.

Started each program and game on the other two and reinstalled the ones that didn't start. Process went fast as files didn't have to be copied, only registry settings set and it maintained all my previous customizations.
January 14, 2011 11:51:34 PM

Depends on the programs themselves not all will accept a drive letter change. Windows itself can be moved easily with any decent utility such as acronis ect. If the large bulk your data is games some do accept a simple shortcut to the on the new drive, but again as programs some games have registry ties that will not accept a new drive letter. Big issue is SSD's are small so you may run out of room quick. A re-install may surely be your best option.
January 15, 2011 11:24:05 AM

I'm not concerned about moving programs and games to the SSD, I'm happy to leave them where they are. I just want them to keep working if I move Windows to the SSD.
!