rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
M4A87TD EVO
Gskill Ripjaws 1333
Ultra 550PSU
Sapphire HD5750
Sasmung 500gb HDD

I get a green LED on the motherboard, but when I hit the power button I get nothing, know fans or anything. I checked for shortages under the motherboard. Verified everything is connected properly. First time builder im at a complete loss :( And yes the power button is connected to the mother board and the PSU is switched on =(

rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I pulled the CPU out and noticed a bright spec of silver on an outside CPU pin.. Am I screwed? If it is thermal past and it got into the socket will i need a rpleacement CPU and mobo?..

rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Ive tried starting with he basics, no ram, one stick of ram, no video card. Ive reseated the CPU and heatsink. I get absolutely nothing no fans or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This isnt my computer so im very stressed out as it is my first build and not my own.

rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I can swap PSU's but not at this moment, I have a semi off topic question aswell. When I swap PSU's if I get nothing. Should I try to RMA the motherboard and CPU? Will newegg replace CPU's if there is no visible damage such as bent pins? As I stated above I noticed a sligt silverish area on one of the outside CPU pins this was before I installed the CPU and applied thermal grease so im starting to think its the CPU or Mobo.

Also, if I cant use another PSU for testing purposes, will the paperclip thing work to test the PSU?

rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Well I tried a different PSU, Absolutey nothing. I guess its time to RMA the Mobo? And in my third check of everything making sure everything was seated properly I somehow managed thumb contact on one of the CPU pins and there is a nice spec of what id assume is AS5.. Any suggestions on removing this? Also what are the chance of it being a bad CPU?

rhartzell88

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Solved...

The power switch and Reset switch in my Antec 300 case were wired wrong.. The reset switch was labeled power and the power switch labeled as reset. It never crossed my mind to check this seeing as I have very little experience, but before I decided to RMA the motherboard I said what the hell let me try to short the pins with a screwdriver and then bam it powered up! Noob mistake I guess?

Everything is recognized in the bios correctly and the CPU(Athlon ii X3) is at 33c. Is that a little too high for idle in bios?

Now just to get the software installed and hope I dont get any BSOD's ><. Thanks to toms for the help!