SCSI different than IDE controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Hello, I bought a pci ide controller that allows me to use sata and ide drives in windows AFTER installing driver. But I can't boot up bootable HD drive even after changing BIOS to boot from scsi 1st. Is there a difference between an IDE Controller and a SCSI card that has IDE?

Solution
Well, yours looked like it had a BIOS chip on it, so I guess you can't go by looks. Better to check out user reviews perhaps. I have a couple Promise controllers here that both have boot BIOS, I should probably put them on ebay...

popatim

Titan
There are a couple of items that could be at issue here.

1: Some add in cards are not bootable add in cards.
What card did you get?

2: On your motherboard, If it has sata ports and you told it to boot scsi first it might be trying to boot its own sata first, see if there's an "add-in' card option for the boot priority.
What Motherboard do you have?

itserenity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Did you add the PCI card to your system and move your previously formatted bootable drive to the new card?

That will not work. The card is not recognized by the bios, and therefore can not be accessed by the bios to boot from.

You would have to reformat your boot drive and provide the driver for the card to the OS during it's installation process when it asks for it.

It well install the driver in such a way that allows the driver to be started during the boot strap process. This then allows the card to be recognized and a drive booted from the card.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
itserenity, yeah, I did what you said. I did the same thing on an older PC with a SCSI or IDE controller (if they are different...?) from another even older PC, and it fired up with the same WinME OS. WinME then recognized its new environment and installed available drivers.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
popatim, my motherboard was one of the first with sata and it did have a jumper to activate sata, and I did have to use the SCSI option on BIOS to boot from sata, so that may have something to do with it... boot choices are: HDD; SCSI; CD; ZIP; USB's; LAN; Floppy; and LS120.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
This attempt was in same PC. Using existing IDE HD.

Back to original question. Are PCI cards that say SCSI and have other SCSI type connections and also have IDE connection (if there is such a thing...) different than plain IDE controller card? As far as BIOS is concerned?

In case links didn't work.

Motherboard:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

IDE controller description:

1 IDE 3 SATA Serial ATA PCI Controller Card VIA VT6421A

Thanks again.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
One more comment then I'll shut up.

The PCI card I moved with HDD from old PC to newer one did get recognized by BIOS using SCSI as first boot device. I don't have them with me anymore, so I can't check to see if PCI card was described as SCSI. If it makes any difference...

The comparisons I read online usually deal with advantages of SCSI over IDE drives but was hard to find if there is a discernible difference in PCI cards or if they are all considered SCSI as far as BIOS is concerned.

I hope my confusion isn't confusing the question more instead of making it clearer...

Thanks for all feedback.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, do you see a card BIOS screen pop up after the normal POST screen? If your card is bootable, you should see that screen.

Remember that third-part onboard chips are also treated by BIOS as add-in cards. Sometimes onboard, add-in controllers have card BIOS that conflicts with the card BIOS of add-in cards.

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Crashman Wrote: "First of all, do you see a card BIOS screen pop up after the normal POST screen? If your card is bootable, you should see that screen. "

I don't see it. So I guess it's not bootable. Just Raid option that was already there from when I changed jumper setting on motherboard to utilize SATA. I first tried card on another PC that doesn't have any SATA and I don't remember seeing any new BIOS screen there either.

How can I know if a PCI card is bootable, so I can purchase another one?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

To rule out a conflict with your onboard RAID controller, you should disable your onboard RAID controller once again...

lalobama97

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Ok, I disabled the onboard RAID controller. No card BIOS pop up screen. And with SCSI as 1st boot option, no ability to boot from PCI IDE controller. Other boot options enabled doesn't do anything either. Basically, I can only boot from my on board IDE controller CD ROM or IDE HDD.

So, when selecting a new PCI IDE controller. How can I make sure that it will be bootable?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, yours looked like it had a BIOS chip on it, so I guess you can't go by looks. Better to check out user reviews perhaps. I have a couple Promise controllers here that both have boot BIOS, I should probably put them on ebay...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS