Sign in with
Your question

Disk Management Only Showing 596.17GB of 640gb HDD

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2011 3:23:44 PM

Hello,
i just bought a 500GB sata hard disk and install winserver 2008. during installation, i choose to use 270GB for my windows installation. now i cant see the rest of the unpartioned drive. Help!!
January 14, 2011 5:48:13 PM

You need to go back to your windows system settings and design that partition. It will not be formatted and show if you have not set it to do so already. (Choice will be like fat32 or something like along those lines.) Also there really isn't much reason to have that much space on your windows partition. I would reallocate some of that space back (maybe 15 percent or so beyond what you are using is all you need for the partition) and use the rest to create either a backup partition or something along those lines. If it is still not working after doing this me or someone else can add more specific directions I am sure.
January 14, 2011 6:26:20 PM

If you see the drive as 596GB and its a 640GB drive that sounds about right. There is a differance between what the hard drive manufactuers tell you and what windows tells you.

If you are only seeing 270GB then the drive was partitioned that way and you should have some unallocated space.

Go to the control panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management
from Disk Management you should be able to see your unallocated space. You should be able to format it and assign a drive letter.
Related resources
January 29, 2011 4:40:11 PM

thank you for this information...i saw the unallocated and i have formatted. it is now show in My Computer. Thanks once. How can i reallocate some of the space back? i cant figure it out
January 30, 2011 1:32:45 AM

Since you have already formatted the space the last thing you need to do is in disk magement assign a drive letter and it should be usable.
November 8, 2013 4:51:45 PM

Although I don't typically recommend Symantec products (mostly because they don't pay me to do so)... You may find that Acronis Disk Director is much more comprehensive than Windows Disk Management snap-in. This is increasingly the case if your are dealing with a clean drive or have the need for advanced management of partitions, formats, volume statuses and sizes.
!