Status
Not open for further replies.

himmelhorse

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I wish to run MS Flight Simulator with 6 (six) or more monitors. I have an Intel P7P55D PRO Mboard with 3 x PCIe slots currently filled with 3 x Nvidia gt9800 VCGA cards. Would I get better performance with 2 ATI radeon (4 x Outputs)which would only use two PCIe slots. Operating system is Win7 Ultimate 64bit and 4gb ram. Performance is not good using Nvidia cards.
Computer is only for flight sim and I would like to know what is the best system to run it please.

I live in Indonesia ande this advice is unavailable
Thank you

Tony

Solution
You are going to want to get two high end ATI/AMD cards like the Radeon 5870 or three high end nVidia cards like the GeForce GTX 480/580.

himmelhorse

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I am currently using 3 x Nvidia 9800gt (1GB) ... my concern here is using 3 GPUs. Does not the third slot halve the speed of the first two. Please forgive my ignorance of this subject. I can remember vaguely reading an article about it some time ago and I think, mistakenly, writing this info off as irrelevant to my system. Now, of course, I cannot remember where I got this info from. I know now, that even though I bought the gt9800s very recently, they are fairly ancient in technological terms. However, at the time, I was acting on the best advice I could find in Indonesia. (my bad)

None the less, I believe I can retreive something from this mess and get at least, adequate, performance from these cards. I am currently considering using two computers, networking them via cable and then using a programme like Maxi Vista and thereby use one VGA card in the second computer and two in the the original. (i have a core2duo Mother board and most other bits and pieces to build the second computer at very little cost.

Can I please have your thoughts on the above please. Oh and by the way, the ATI cards would feature eye infinity and they have 4 x output (monitor) slots) 5870???

Thanks

Tony

himmelhorse

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I think you may be on the right track and unfortunately, because I am a pensioner with very limited resources,
this may well be out of my range.
At this stage, I am trying to reduce the impact of taking bad advice and buying very recently, the GT9800 GPUs.
I may well be better off trying to reduce the load on the existing set up by putting together (from a recently superceded update) a second core2duo computer, networking this via cable and using Maxi Vista or similar. This would allow 1 x 9800 in the core2duo and 2 x 9800s in the new computer.

If I ever get the fiscal means to do so, I would definately be looking at the eyeinfinity 5870 which has 4 x monitor outputs, however this is dream territory for me.

What are your thoughts on the networked computers idea?

Thanks for your reply .. it really was appreciated as was my other reply.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.