Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Complete my specs please, buying next week

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 14, 2011 3:47:11 PM

Hello, Im thinking of building my new rig next week or week after that, I have been waiting long enough for the sandy bridge cpus so this is it, this is my current shopping list. Please complete my spec. Any opinion/ suggestions/ warning R welcome.

I do graphic design and gaming, with a bit more emphasis on gaming.

To buy:

  • Core i7 2600K
  • ASUS P8P67 DELUXE: Im not planning Sli/ overclocking but do not want to regret it.
  • F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (8 GB total) [2 X (DDR3 PC3-12800 4GB)] (sandy bridge is dual channel,am i correct?)
  • cheap atx case

    What I already have:

  • Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB: thinking of flashing this to 6970... or at least unlock all shaders
  • Few SATA2 HDDs, 1tb, 3x 500gb ...
  • speaker sets
  • random spare keyboard, mouse, and misc peripherals

    Undecided:

  • Monitor: Im thinking of posting separate thread in display&graphic section, but monitor suggestion relative to the above specs are welcome
  • PSU: dont even know how many watts I need
  • UPS: need I?
  • Optical drive: thinking of cheap external DVD read/writer since I rarely use it
  • More about : complete specs buying week

    January 14, 2011 5:03:02 PM

    CPU: I wouldn't bother with the unlocked "K" series. Just get the regular 2600.

    Mobo: I'd also go with something cheaper for the board. Check out the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4. It's a good $50 cheaper, and you only lose a worthless PCIe 2.o 4x slot and the ability to put more RAM than anyone will need in the build's lifetime (it's max is 16GB instead of 32 GB).

    PSU: You don't really need that much. I'd look at the XFX 750W for $100. If you're sure about not wanting Crossfire, you could drop this to a 550W. Stick to Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and Antec though (XFX doesn't make them smaller than 650W).

    Optical: A cheap internal drive is less than $20. I'd get one.

    Case: Don't get something real cheap. In rough price order, I'd check out the Rosewill Challenger, Coolermaster HAF 912, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster 690, Antec 900, Coolermaster HAF 922 or anything from Lian Li.
    m
    0
    l
    January 14, 2011 10:53:49 PM

    Monitor - whatever you like
    PSU - 750w or more. Preferably a Gold certified. Corsair AX series is what I use and it has a 7 yr warranty. (Get a Tier 1 PSU and don't look back).
    Optical - something cheap like a Samsung or LG
    Case - depends how much room you have....I'd go with which ever Cooler Master works for you. The best deal is the 690 II for under $100. I have one...it is superb. If I had more space, I'd go with the CM HAF 922 or a Corsair 600/ 650/700

    Your Sandy Bridge choices are great. You can save yourself a $100 and buy thei5-2500X. It is only slightly slower than the 2600x in tests but it doesn't have hyper-threading (if that matters to you).

    Enjoy your new build.
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    January 15, 2011 1:24:34 AM

    Thanks for the reply guys, I heard that 2600k is capable of 5ghz on stock cooler so I picked it, although all I need is a powerful, stable cpu but I want to be able to aggressively persuade it to perform better when it's old/inadequate.

    Isn't internal optical drive waste of PSU wattage? since I use it like 30 times a year and I use usb boot for substitute while external dvd can read/write/boot no problem?

    @Eagle Eye_54

    I heard that hyper threading is not relate to gaming is that true?

    Is it bad to get a really cheap case? (my previous 3000 yen simple pressed steel atx case has been through 3 upgrades, I strip it bare as its only function is to hold component in place, switch and LEDs are all messed up, but it can be DIY fixed (with cool breaker switch instead of standard on/off switch and etc)about cooling I place a big fan facing it(lots of dust). But now I've moved so I need new one(old case is still operational)(also I dont usually show off my com so... if its ugly I just place doll over it and it will be cute))

    and this rig being expensive(for me), do you think I should get UPS? My friend's com pass away due to lightning.

    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 1:36:28 AM

    Eagle Eye_54 said:
    Monitor - whatever you like
    PSU - 750w or more. Preferably a Gold certified. Corsair AX series is what I use and it has a 7 yr warranty. (Get a Tier 1 PSU and don't look back).
    Optical - something cheap like a Samsung or LG
    Case - depends how much room you have....I'd go with which ever Cooler Master works for you. The best deal is the 690 II for under $100. I have one...it is superb. If I had more space, I'd go with the CM HAF 922 or a Corsair 600/ 650/700

    Your Sandy Bridge choices are great. You can save yourself a $100 and buy thei5-2500X. It is only slightly slower than the 2600x in tests but it doesn't have hyper-threading (if that matters to you).

    Enjoy your new build.


    Is there a list of tier 1,2,3 PSU?
    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 1:45:11 AM

    dontknownotsure said:
    Is there a list of tier 1,2,3 PSU?


    Yes, I used Google but didn't save the URL. Try "which is the best PSU"
    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 1:52:46 AM

    dontknownotsure said:

    @Eagle Eye_54

    I heard that hyper threading is not relate to gaming is that true?

    Is it bad to get a really cheap case?

    and this rig being expensive(for me), do you think I should get UPS? My friend's com pass away due to lightning.


    1. Correct. That is why I suggested a 2500x. That $100 will buy your case.

    2. I don't consider a Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced a cheap case but I guess that is a subjective thing. This case is well built and I don't expect to have to replace it for many builds. Time will tell I guess. But it looks great and works very well....great cooling. Does not have USB 3.0 on the front panel though, if that matters to you.

    3. UPS is nice if you are in an area that needs it. If your power drops or surges a lot or if you get frequent total power outages, by all means yes. Most certainly you will need a good to excellent quality surge protector no matter how good the grid is where you are. My favorite brand is APC.....they make great stuff. Just don't get a cheap power bar.


    Enjoy your new toy.
    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 1:58:28 AM

    Eagle Eye_54 said:
    1. Correct. That is why I suggested a 2500x. That $100 will buy your case.

    2. I don't consider a Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced a cheap case but I guess that is a subjective thing. This case is well built and I don't expect to have to replace it for many builds. Time will tell I guess. But it looks great and works very well....great cooling. Does not have USB 3.0 on the front panel though, if that matters to you.

    3. UPS is nice if you are in an area that needs it. If your power drops or surges a lot or if you get frequent total power outages, by all means yes. Most certainly you will need a good to excellent quality surge protector no matter how good the grid is where you are. My favorite brand is APC.....they make great stuff. Just don't get a cheap power bar.


    Enjoy your new toy.



    Sorry for being unclear, I mean i wanted a really cheap case, is that a bad?

    So what does Hyper-threading good for?
    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 2:08:49 AM

    Sorry, I mis-understood. Yes you may regret a case that is too cheap. I'd buy the 2500x and use the money saved for other components, like a decent case. Remember, these new Sandy Bridge CPU's smoke just about everything out there right now, including CPU's that retail for over a $1000!

    I have never had hyper-threading so I am not the one to ask. Perhaps if you Goggle it.

    Good luck with your purchase.
    m
    0
    l
    January 15, 2011 11:59:02 PM

    Thanks people for your opinino& infos, will be deciding today and ordering tonight!
    m
    0
    l
    !