Ok re-applied arctic silver 5 on i5 2500k

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

I re-applied arctic silver 5 on my i5 2500k with the "line" method as instructed on their website for the i5 2500k CPU. The line went vertical from top to bottom and was thin (1 to 2mm). I left about 4 mm on each end of the line.

I took the CPU off a few times (and recleaned and applied) and tested the spread and it was good and to my surprise cover a good percentage of the CPU.

Now I'm back in Windows 7 and getting idle temps of around 35-37 according to Realtemp and Hwmonitor running simultaneously, HWmonitor giving slightly lower temps. I'd say these idles aren't too bad?? Doesn't it take a while for everything to set and spread and maybe I'll go a little lower on idle? At least I'm not idling in the 40's like I hear some people do.

UPDATE ** Just ran Prime95 on blend for about 8 minutes and got up to 73 C in 2 cores, but it dropped again. I'm at 1.13 v and stock cooling.

dont worry about IDLE temps at all
they are very inaccurate as stated by Intel due to the desing of the DTS (digital thermal sensor)

Seriously only pay attention to max temps

use yoiur idle temp as a baseline to see if it changes but not as an accurate reading

i have HWmon, Realtemp and Coretemp all loaded and each one gives me different readings LOL

as long as your TJMax is set right in the temp program then really all you need to know is your Distance to TJMax

Realtemp shows this if I recall right

as you go hotter the distance to TJMax decreases

If you never go below 2o to TJmax you are fine on load

Intel actually uses Tcase temps in specs for cpus

For example my for my C2D E4500 the Tcase is about 62c and TJmax is about 85-90
depending on program used

I can run constantly at Tcase and be fine
Tcase is max safe temp to run at
TjMax is the temp when your processors throttles down and then turns off.

Dont do what I and others have done and obsessed with temps

After nearly two years of constant Googling, research, experiments and endless notes
and I found out that the temp monitoring is an Obessive Compulsive persons nightmare!

Unless you are doing very heavy OCing or live in a unconditioned hot space
it really isnt anything to worry about :)

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

thanks! But what if I run Prime95 and I get up to 75 C on one or more of my cores?? Will I damage the CPU?

The max safe temp for Sandy Bridge is 98ºC. The CPU will automatically reduce its speed somewhere in the low-90sºC to prevent damage. I have tested this personally.

No, 75ºC will not damage your CPU. That is actually the Prime95 load temp I recommend as the highest peak it should go for an everyday overclock.

Note: Arctic Silver 5 requires something like 200 hours and a particular sequence of shutdowns and 100% load to cure. See their site for details. I avoid using it for that reason -- my Gelid GC-Extreme thermal compound requires no curing time and is also non-conductive.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Oh NOOO!!!! I gotta take that thing off again?! :lol:
So I gotta go through 100 % loads, shutdowns ...... ehhh!

your fine
you already did Prime95 100% loads
just turn it off every night and every day run Prime 95 about 20mins for a week
there are better pastes then AS5 BUT it is fine
If you are looking to do heavy overclocking in the future then
you MIGHT want to think about a newer better paste BUT
for now
JUST ENJOY YOUR COMPUTER AND RELAX LOL :)