ASRock Z68 Extreme3 RAM compatibility?

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hello, I am about to purchase parts for a new system and while checking the compatible RAM list on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 I couldn't find the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4) RAM. I think it's weird that RAM is not on their compatibility list seeing as it is a popular brand and model. I even looked for the GSkill Ripjaw series RAM which is arguably an even more popular brand/model and it's not on their list either. Personally I don't think there would be any issues using the Vengeance RAM on that board but I'm definitely not an expert in this field and would like a second opinion. Thanks in advance!

[fixed]Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4) RAM. I think it's weird that RAM is not on their compatibility list

GSkill Ripjaw series RAM which is arguably an even more popular brand/model and it's not on their list either. [/fixed]
It doesn't mean it is not compatible.
They could have been released after the list was printed : )

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Vengeance DDR3 1600 8gb 2x4 is on the list for the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9r.html/
Also the low profile
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-low-profile-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9.html/

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/

Do u have a large aftermarket cooler? Than low profile might be the only choice ...

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
It's fairly big. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ it's a 120mm unit. 79.7 mm wide. I'll probably just go with the low profile but I'm still worried about it not being in the compatibility list. Google search hasn't turned up anything either.

U have the requirements for the RAM, correct?

My Corsair RAM was not on the ASUS list also and works like charm.

OPTIMIZED FOR COMPATIBILITY WITH THE LATEST CPUS
Designed specifically for the latest CPUs, Corsair Vengeance modules run at 1.5V for maximum compatibility with all Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, as well as the 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processor family.

-------------------------
Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
- Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
- 4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah I mean, I picked the Vengeance RAM because it is the "Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM on Intel Core i3/i5/i7" It is DDR3 1600 which is supported by the mobo. It's just not on the compatibility list and I wanted to make sure that wasn't going to be a real issue. I guess the only way to really know is to try it since the only list I can find is on ASRock's site. I think I saw a few posts though where people listed their builds and it included this board and RAM so hopefully all will be well.