Solved

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 RAM compatibility?

Hello, I am about to purchase parts for a new system and while checking the compatible RAM list on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 I couldn't find the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4) RAM. I think it's weird that RAM is not on their compatibility list seeing as it is a popular brand and model. I even looked for the GSkill Ripjaw series RAM which is arguably an even more popular brand/model and it's not on their list either. Personally I don't think there would be any issues using the Vengeance RAM on that board but I'm definitely not an expert in this field and would like a second opinion. Thanks in advance!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asrock extreme3 compatibility
  1. Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4) RAM. I think it's weird that RAM is not on their compatibility list

GSkill Ripjaw series RAM which is arguably an even more popular brand/model and it's not on their list either. 

It doesn't mean it is not compatible.
    They could have been released after the list was printed : )
  2. Post links to the RAM in question.

Also, did u check the web, they usually have updated list of the RAM as a .pdf file for download in the driver downloads.
  3. This is the RAM I'm looking at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

But I may have to go with the low profile version but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thing just a different heat spreader.

I did a google search but the only thing I was able to find was the list on ASRock's site. I'll keep looking though.
  4. Shavako said:
    This is the RAM I'm looking at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

But I may have to go with the low profile version but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thing just a different heat spreader.

I did a google search but the only thing I was able to find was the list on ASRock's site. I'll keep looking though.

Do u have a large aftermarket cooler? Than low profile might be the only choice ...
  5. It's fairly big. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ it's a 120mm unit. 79.7 mm wide. I'll probably just go with the low profile but I'm still worried about it not being in the compatibility list. Google search hasn't turned up anything either.
  6. Shavako said:
    It's fairly big. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ it's a 120mm unit. 79.7 mm wide. I'll probably just go with the low profile but I'm still worried about it not being in the compatibility list. Google search hasn't turned up anything either.

U have the requirements for the RAM, correct?

My Corsair RAM was not on the ASUS list also and works like charm.

OPTIMIZED FOR COMPATIBILITY WITH THE LATEST CPUS
    Designed specifically for the latest CPUs, Corsair Vengeance modules run at 1.5V for maximum compatibility with all Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, as well as the 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processor family.

-------------------------
    Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    - Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
    - 4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
    - Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    - Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
    - Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
  7. Yeah I mean, I picked the Vengeance RAM because it is the "Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM on Intel Core i3/i5/i7" It is DDR3 1600 which is supported by the mobo. It's just not on the compatibility list and I wanted to make sure that wasn't going to be a real issue. I guess the only way to really know is to try it since the only list I can find is on ASRock's site. I think I saw a few posts though where people listed their builds and it included this board and RAM so hopefully all will be well.
  8. Best answer
    It is on the Corsair compatibility list for your mobo!

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=2309618

Look for CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
  9. Its 18th from the top
  10. Oh, I didn't realize that corsair would have a mobo compatibility list *facepalm

Like I said I'm not an expert, not even close lol. Thanks though for your help!
  11. Best answer selected by Shavako.
  12. You're Welcome : ) Thanx for the vote.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM Compatibility ASrock Product