Bricking the motherboard

Bricked refers to ANY hardware that is unable to start up due to bad software; Usually because of a bad software flash, a modification done improperly, loss of necessary files, being overheated from overclocking or overuse if the item is a lemon, a short-ciruiting, or a trojan that deletes necessary files for a few exaples.

Simply the HW stopped working for good.

When one's electronic equipment ceases to function almost entirely due to faulty hardware, glichey update, or a poorly executed attempt at modding.
See also "brick"
1: Frank's computer was bricked when the power lines outside were struck by lightening.
2: On December 31 of 2008 all the 30gb Zunes were bricked because of an internal clock glitch.
3: My cell phone was bricked when I fell in that puddle.

4: To brick
Jim's trying to overclock his CPU. I keep telling him he's going to brick the whole the.

To render your computer useless, as useless as a brick.

Usually the result of tampering with the insides and doing irreversible damage. Bricking your hardware leaves you with a new paperweight. Can be the end effect of a faulty flash or firmware update, a modification (mod) gone bad or being struck by lighting, to name a few.
He managed to get his new iMac bricked while trying to boot WinXP on it.

I tried to change graphics cards while my computer was running but I only managed to get my machine bricked.

mrhercules

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Thanks alot for explaining this to me. i have never assembled a computer before and now i want to assemble the following PC

Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Chasis Cooler Master Haf X 942
Hard Drive Western Digital 1TB 64MB Cache ( Caviar Black)
GPU HIS ATI 6870 1gb
Ram G Skill RipJaws 1.5volts 8gb 1600Mhz
Optical Drive Asus DVD R/RW
Power Supply Corsair 750 Watts

Kindly tell me how to go about it and what to avoid in order to save a loss of hardware

Processor Core i5 2500k » √

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro » √

Chasis Cooler Master Haf X 942 » √

Hard Drive Western Digital 1TB 64MB Cache ( Caviar Black) » √

GPU HIS ATI 6870 1gb » √

Ram G Skill RipJaws 1.5volts 8gb 1600Mhz » √***

Optical Drive Asus DVD R/RW » √

Power Supply Corsair 750 Watts » √

That will do.

Are u going to OC? U should, @ least 4.0GHz, but than u will need larger cooler than the stack.

Than your RAM may be too tall, so if u will upgrade the cooler, think about that, as u may get low profile RAM : )
Like this one @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

mrhercules

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Alright will do that as i have already told you this is my first ever build, appreciate your input. now kindly guide me on how to assemble it or if you know of some video of HAF X assembly Please provide me the link. thanks

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Wouldnt surgical gloves cause the equipment to get dirty? Like the ones that leave a white powder residue. Although i would for sure use anti-static wrist bands if your working with a mobo inside a case and i would for sure make sure everything is grounded before you start working. Examples include not working on a carpet, etc...

mrhercules

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

when you say grounded, what does this actually mean, i mean there is no power whatsoever going into the mootheroard then what is the problem and secondly if Bobo is placed ontop of a table and i am assembling it what should i do to ground myself if i dont have the antistatic wristband