Video card does fit PCI express x 16 slot

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I got a new video card a few weeks ago and I tried to put it in the PCI express x 16 slot it didn’t fit I looked and found that there was a capacitor with a Y on top of it block it. The GPU cooler for the gigabyte HD 4650 1GB GDDR2 was too long and won’t fit what should I do?

Send us a pic of it and the slot on the mobo as soon as possible. so we can actually see what's happening, the Y on the capacitor is there in nearly all capacitors, it's nothing that signifies what it is....

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Ok here it is:

I so mark what the Y looked like on the capacitor.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

What's a dremel?

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I know that but would it easy just to break it out?

Sad case...... really nothing can be done about the capacitor on the mobo, all you can do mow, is try to figure out how much of the GPU's heatsink you need to file off....
That will be the easiest way, remove the heatsink from the GPU, mark the area which comes in contact with the Capacitor on the mobo, use a Round file to cut thru the heatsink parallel to the surface (Of the backplate). and viola...... it'll fit like a glove, but you have to be very care ful while incerting and removing the card 'cos the sharp edge of the filed heatsink might damage that capacitor when you try to put it in or pull it out, be gentle and don't use excessive force....
it'll work fine.
Do all the metal work only after you have separated the heatsink from the GPU.....