Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sub $900 Sandy Bridge i5-2500K

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 14, 2011 5:55:11 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Week of January 24, 2011

Budget Range: Sub-900 currently $748 before rebates would like stay around current price

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (FPS, want to start Eve), CAD (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Catia), Video Editing (CS5), Mathmatica

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, but open based on price

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: MSI

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Future

Monitor Resolution: dual CRT 1600x1200, future 1080 LCDs

Additional Comments: Last build was an Athlon XP 1800/GeForce 4 Ti 4600, then I got into the ease of the Xbox. Looking to leave the Xbox behind now.


Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $225
MSI P67A-GD53 LGA 1155 Intel P67 $150
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB $130
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) CL9 $43
PC Power and Cooling S61EPS-B 610W $70
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower $55
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $70
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B $22


Graphics Card Options:

Galaxy 60XMH6HS3HMW GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) GC 768MB $150
MSI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC $150
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB $130

More about : 900 sandy bridge 2500k

January 14, 2011 6:12:50 PM

You might check www.superbiiz.com for RAM prices--I found significantly better prices there, than on NewEgg.com, when I built my PC.
m
0
l
January 14, 2011 6:32:11 PM

switch the power supply to 1 of these.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $69.99 before rebate, $54.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series 630W $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

maybe go with the antec 300 instead. it ends up cheaper after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i would swap the HD5770 with a GTX 460.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 GC 768MB with just cause 2 $149.99 before rebate, $109.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 768MB with just cause 2 $159.99 before rebate, $139.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
January 14, 2011 7:14:04 PM

infernox_01 said:
switch the power supply to 1 of these.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $69.99 before rebate, $54.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series 630W $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

maybe go with the antec 300 instead. it ends up cheaper after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i would swap the HD5770 with a GTX 460.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 GC 768MB with just cause 2 $149.99 before rebate, $109.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 768MB with just cause 2 $159.99 before rebate, $139.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I think you are right about the GTX 460.

I like the OCZ power supply too. Just curious though why not the PC Power and Cooling?
m
0
l
January 14, 2011 7:42:43 PM

PC Power and Cooling is a 'no name' brand. No Name brands almost NEVER match their rated ability, and tend to be fireworks factories.

m
0
l
January 14, 2011 9:33:25 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
and tend to be fireworks factories.


Haha. I've had my fair share of cheap power supplies. PC Power and Cooling though used to be featured a lot in MaxPC as a quality power supply.
m
0
l
January 14, 2011 9:57:07 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
PC Power and Cooling is a 'no name' brand. No Name brands almost NEVER match their rated ability, and tend to be fireworks factories.



nope

they'd be right there at the very top of the quality ladder
m
0
l
January 14, 2011 10:26:18 PM

Yeah PC Power and Cooling is fine, no corsair or seasonic but good. - on par with OCZ who make a lot of crappy PSUs among their few good ones.

m
0
l
January 15, 2011 9:48:27 AM

i only recommended it because it was cheaper so you could get the gtx 460 without extra cost.
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 10:37:32 AM

Pc power and cooling is a very high quality manufacturer I still have my silencer750w running after 2.5+ years.
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 11:17:19 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $99.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $109.98
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Price: $299.98 $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $289.98
MSI P67A-GD53 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $42.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 $15 off with promo code HARDOCP112C, ends 1/19 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $21.99 FREE SHIPPING
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support

Total: $759.92 *not including rebates, shipping, etc..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 11:25:57 AM

Hastibe said:
You might check www.superbiiz.com for RAM prices--I found significantly better prices there, than on NewEgg.com, when I built my PC.

How much is ewiz paying you to spam this on every bloody thread on this board ? Keep this up and your going to find your arse banned from here in no time flat.
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 11:43:26 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $99.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $109.98
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Price: $299.98 $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $289.98
MSI P67A-GD53 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $42.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 $15 off with promo code HARDOCP112C, ends 1/19 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $21.99 FREE SHIPPING
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support

Total: $759.92 *not including rebates, shipping, etc..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM


you forgot the power supply and graphics card.
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 12:58:21 PM

^Lol no look again.
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 3:51:47 PM

ah yes. i seem to be mistaken. well thats a great build for a good price, everyone happy.
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 2:55:17 AM

How much of a difference is there between the GTX 460 1 gig and the 768 mb?

Also what about the Radeon 6850?
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 3:48:22 AM

the 768 has a 192 bitr memory channel and 1 less block of the GPU units (7 instead of 8)
m
0
l
!