Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good upgrade

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2011 7:05:39 PM

Over the last few days I have been talking with my roomate about upgrading our PC.

Our current config is:
Antec TruePower 650W
ASUSTeK P5KPL-AM IN/GB X.0x
Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
MSI GeForce GTX460 HAWK TALON ATTACK

We are thinking about switching the motherboard, the processor and consequently get some ddr3 ram. Our initial price target was 350€. Here is the config we planned:

MSI P67A-C45 120€

CPU Intel 1155 i5 2500 Box (3,30GHz) 213.75€

GSKILL PC3-12800 4GB Ripjaws CL9 (2x2GB) DDR3 51€

~380€

Will this be a noticeable performance increase over our actual config, mainly for office/web browsing, some virtualization and gaming?

Thanks in advance.

More about : good upgrade

January 14, 2011 7:20:57 PM

Performance wise that will be a very noticable increase. However in day to day applications you may not notice it as much. When it comes to gaming and virtualization it will.

If you plan on overclocking you processor I would recommend getting the 2500K.

If you do alot of virtualization you will probably want more than 4GB of RAM.
January 14, 2011 7:26:43 PM

Yes, the idea will to eventually move this RAM to another computer we have hanging on with 2 GB DDR3 at a relative's house and buy ourselves some 8GB rams. But for now that will have to do. An expert told me my graphics card was "severely capped" (his words) using my current CPU. Will it be fully uncapped now?

Also the new "Sandy Bridge" approved rams from Ripjaw are going to take awhile before being available in my country. Is the performance jump whorth the wait?

Thanks.
Related resources
January 18, 2011 1:39:10 AM

ImmoralGod said:
Yes, the idea will to eventually move this RAM to another computer we have hanging on with 2 GB DDR3 at a relative's house and buy ourselves some 8GB rams. But for now that will have to do. An expert told me my graphics card was "severely capped" (his words) using my current CPU. Will it be fully uncapped now?

Also the new "Sandy Bridge" approved rams from Ripjaw are going to take awhile before being available in my country. Is the performance jump whorth the wait?

Thanks.

Wow you sure are impatient. Bumping twice in 5 minutes.
Edit :)  lol. 4am and 4pm :pt1cable: 

Anyway, yes. The new processor is excellent and will not hold back the video card at all.

Virtualization I am glad to hear you will be getting more ram. What virtualization work do you do? What OS's? How many VMs at once?

What games do you play?

I personally think you will notice a bit of a difference in some day to day things. But a lot will seem the same. The harddrive become the bottleneck in most of the things you don't notice a difference in.

Also, careful with the ram you get. I've heard somewhere that the icore processors have issues with the standard JEDEC voltage specifications and have to use lower voltage ram? Somebody confirm or deny this.
!