Your question

Yipeee I think I did it right this time - i5 2500k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2011 5:45:39 AM

Hi.

I reset, cleaned and re-applied arctic silver to my i5 2500k using the 'line' (thin) method vertically on the cpu and now running Prime95 the highest core temp I got was 67 C after 15 minutes. I ran all 4 torture test for about 15 minutes and the highest I got was 67 C! Is that OK with the stock cooler? And of course I'm not overclocked at all.

More about : yipeee time 2500k

April 10, 2011 6:57:48 AM

67 C is acceptable. the 2500K runs cool and you should get more performance out of it if you cool it down a bit.

Under load the highest temp my 2500K has seen is 42 C. I have a nice cooler but you can get the same temps from a less expensive cooler than the Corsair H70. Try the Scythe Mugen 2 or the CM Hyper 212+.
m
l
April 10, 2011 2:30:23 PM

pacioli said:
67 C is acceptable. the 2500K runs cool and you should get more performance out of it if you cool it down a bit.

Under load the highest temp my 2500K has seen is 42 C. I have a nice cooler but you can get the same temps from a less expensive cooler than the Corsair H70. Try the Scythe Mugen 2 or the CM Hyper 212+.

thanks. Right now I'm running the stock cooler not the Corsair. Yeah, it seems that 67 C is about as high as Prime will take it regardless of the test I use. I'm not am overclocker or even a gamer so I think this will work for me, but I may eventually get an aftermarket cooler like a Coolermaster 212.
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 6:04:31 PM

I am overclocked and I do game and I see temps that are way lower than 67C. For $30-$40 you can lower the temperature on your CPU by a lot.
m
l
April 11, 2011 6:09:32 PM

pacioli said:

You can run IBT 20 times at High stress using all 4 cores and your temp never gets above 42C??? That seems awfully low for an OC of 4.7GHz....
m
l
April 11, 2011 6:23:33 PM

majin ssj eric said:
You can run IBT 20 times at High stress using all 4 cores and your temp never gets above 42C??? That seems awfully low for an OC of 4.7GHz....

42 is the highest temp I have seen. With 3 200mm fans The HAF 932 pushes a lot of air and the Corsair H70 is no slouch.
m
l
April 11, 2011 6:33:31 PM

I guess these temps would also depend a lot on the ambient temperatures. Like in my case (living in India), my ambient temperature on an average is around 35-38 degrees and getting 41 idling and 65 degrees under load is I think a pretty good thing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 7:31:52 PM

38 C ambient in the house
38c is 100.4 F!!!!
Seems to me if you can afford a decent computer then you should also buy
a window air conditioner!
I cant imagine living in 100F house
I am a cheap person and will let the house go between 75f-80f to save electric bill
but a 100f (38f) is incredibly hot for a house
m
l
April 12, 2011 8:37:44 AM

Yeah unfortunately, the weather in India isn't all that rosy. And when I am still living with my parents, I won't be getting an AC anytime soon. They want me to brave the harsh conditions of life. :p 
m
l
April 12, 2011 3:39:54 PM

Thanks man. A wonderful achievement for the game. Lots of celebration still going actually.

Hot? Yes! Humid? Oh yes, you betcha!!!! Winters are very pleasant though. In 4 more weeks, the monsoon should be reaching and bringing some much needed rain and relief to me and my PC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 3:49:53 PM

a4rocks said:
Thanks man. A wonderful achievement for the game. Lots of celebration still going actually.

Hot? Yes! Humid? Oh yes, you betcha!!!! Winters are very pleasant though. In 4 more weeks, the monsoon should be reaching and bringing some much needed rain and relief to me and my PC.

I hope I wasnt insulting

In another thread I asked the question of why more people in India didnt use AC

I mean India has moved into a position of World Power status and is growing everyday

so I couldnt understand not having AC as standard in a progressive developed country

So Ubrales in another thread explained about the housing and AC situation

I am very glad I asked these questions because I learned about a country I dont know much about
being an ignorant American :) 

I do know that the Taj Mahal is an incredible piece of architecture

Definitely one of the 7 Wonders of the World

in the latest selection of wonders of the world

the Taj Mahal easily made the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_W...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 3:53:24 PM

found this quote regarding the Taj Mahal

Should guilty seek asylum here,
Like one pardoned, he becomes free from sin.
Should a sinner make his way to this mansion,
All his past sins are to be washed away.
The sight of this mansion creates sorrowing sighs;
And the sun and the moon shed tears from their eyes.
In this world this edifice has been made;
To display thereby the creator's glory.
-- Emperor Shah Jahan
m
l
April 12, 2011 3:55:39 PM

king smp said:
I hope I wasnt insulting

In another thread I asked the question of why more people in India didnt use AC

I mean India has moved into a position of World Power status and is growing everyday

so I couldnt understand not having AC as standard in a progressive developed country

So Ubrales in another thread explained about the housing and AC situation

I am very glad I asked these questions because I learned about a country I dont know much about
being an ignorant American :) 

I do know that the Taj Mahal is an incredible piece of architecture

Definitely one of the 7 Wonders of the World

in the latest selection of wonders of the world

the Taj Mahal easily made the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_W...

Hey, do not worry about it all mate. I actually put up my reply in the same thread. You can respond to it too. And it's good that you are loving reading about India and learning new stuff. We already know a lot about US. :D 

And the Taj Mahal was quite easily the topper among the votes. And it was because there was an SMS voting and Indians have the definite edge in that. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 4:01:37 PM

Thank you

I really like that quote I found and posted

Very beautiful
m
l
!