Flashing bios to support am3+ cpu

snafu125

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I am about to purchase a gigabyte GA-970a-D3 mobo and install an AMD FX 6100 cpu. According to the gigabyte website i have to update the motherboard bios to recognize the AM3+ CPU. Is this possible without having a cpu that the current bios recognizes?

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Probably not - check cpu compatibility before you buy - you may be able to borrow a cpu from a freind. Or worst case pay 30-40 for a Sempron to use to get the flash done.

cresco299

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

In short, No. The older Bios will not recognize the the AMD FX 6100. If you read through the reviews on New Egg for this MB and others that claim to support AM3+ you'll see tons of complaints from people to can't get their build to post (Almost guarantee it for the ones who are installing an AM3+).

You'll need an AM3 cpu to do the Bois update, or you can RMA the board back to gigabyte and they'll do it for you, OR you could be really lucky and you'll get the newest revision of the board which will have the updated Bios on it (This happened to me today)

snafu125

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
actually reading the reviews at newegg, people addressed this setup specifically and most within the last month are saying the boards are coming with the newest bios version to support the FX cpu's. This is going to be my first build , thanks for the prompt replies