[Motherboard] ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3 vs. ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I need help deciding on a new board. I know I want a Gen3 for futureproofing with Ivy Bridges coming out and PCIE 3.0. I plan on getting an I7 2700k to go with this board too.

ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3

I really like the Gene-Z for ROG additions and tweaks to it but I'm really scared of it being a mATX form factor, which will take away from me doing Tri-SLI or Crossfire should I ever dare. Also I don't want a CPU cooler that I'm going to have to buy for the 2700k to take up a RAM slot, another issue with the Gene-Z.

I was looking at this fan:
Zalman CNPS9700

If anyone knows of a CPU cooler that works well and doesn't cover the RAM slot or just a reason why I should go with the P8Z68 over the Gene-Z it would be greatly appreciated.

Note the placement of the PCIe x16 slots on both boards.

Which one do you think will provide proper graphics card ventilation of the primary graphics card, assuming use of the stock air cooler, when using two graphics cards in 2-way SLI/CrossFireX?

mATX form factor motherboards are a poor choice when using more than a single graphics card on air cooling despite what others may claim. If you were liquid cooling the graphics cards then an mATX form factor motherboard will be fine.

Do you have your RAM yet? Buy normal sized RAM = freedom.

BTW, I just finished my build with the GENE-Z and 2700K. I took pics if you need something to reference. For the record, I went with a Spire Tharmax Eclipse II heatsink. It covers the first RAM slot, but I still have all 4 filled because I went with the low profile (read normal sized) Corsair Vengeance: link.

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yeah I have my RAM already, it's low profile Corsair: Corsair Vengeance

If you have the link to those pictures that would be great. I think I'm leaning towards the P8Z68-V though because I know I'm going to have dual GPU's eventually but I haven't messed with water cooling and I don't really plan to soon

Ok, here's the pics I snapped while building with my Gene-Z. I'm not sure which orientation you plan to use, but I got pics of both up-down and left-right configurations with my tower cooler with 2x 120mm fans:

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

boabs

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
ive just bought that board 2 days ago. and asus fly guys its realtek audio on it.creative all over the box thats a lie from asus . and ive just put a 2120 in it till ivy bridge comes next year no point sticking i7 in it just now when intel brings out new cpu in the next 3 months.

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the opinions guys, I think I've decided I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge to come out and if no new Motherboards are out by then I'm going to go with the P8Z68 for the space.