Your question

Bulldozer will physically fit in a normal (white) AM3 socket

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bulldozer
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2011 1:41:42 PM

here you can see that it WILL fit in there.

here is thuban for reference, it got 2 less pins than BD.

SOURCE: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=u...

More about : bulldozer physically fit normal white am3 socket

a c 117 à CPUs
April 10, 2011 2:39:32 PM

In before lock ...

Here is a little nugget of wisdom from Gigabyte:

a b à CPUs
April 10, 2011 2:46:04 PM

^ That says NOTHING. The fact that AM3+ board supports AM3 CPUs were confirm since the very beginning.
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
April 10, 2011 2:52:45 PM

Timop said:
^ That says NOTHING. The fact that AM3+ board supports AM3 CPUs were confirm since the very beginning.

O RLY?

I rather fancy the 'note' :lol: 

April 10, 2011 4:19:40 PM

Yeah...msi doesn;t seem to mention any revisions to the boards..juss, update bios and drop in the cpu...im still a bit skeptical..but the time will come eventually..so we'll actually know for certain soon enough
April 10, 2011 7:17:43 PM

i really hope i can put a bulldozer in my TA890FXE :)  i really think all that is required is BIOS support, but you may lose some features.
a c 127 à CPUs
April 10, 2011 10:46:18 PM

Fit and work are not the same. A LGA1155 CPU will probably fit in a LGA1156 socket. But will it work? Nope.

What some companies are doing is making current mobos with a AM3+ socket. In essence its just a AM3+ mobo using a older chipset.
April 10, 2011 10:53:57 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Fit and work are not the same. A LGA1155 CPU will probably fit in a LGA1156 socket. But will it work? Nope.

What some companies are doing is making current mobos with a AM3+ socket. In essence its just a AM3+ mobo using a older chipset.

i know that, but there has been a debate here before whether it will fit or not and now we got that answer, its a bigger possibility that it will work in am3 if it fits in it lol.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2011 10:54:31 PM

jimmysmitty said:

:non: 

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

That isnt what Asus and MSI are saying, seems a little late to be an late/early April fools joke to me.
April 10, 2011 11:32:21 PM

I've read that as well, and MSI stated the 800 series chipset line of am3 mobos would be able to run am3+ bulldozer CPUs, but that means nothing until we get word from AMD themselves. Asus has followed suit but Gigabyte will be getting a "head start" on the AM3+ mobos and seemingly won't offer that backwards compatibility.

AMD announced early that AM3 CPUs would run on AM3+ platform, but, as was stated above, there could be an issue with losing some features. It seems the final word will be from AMD just how that will work, as they manufacture both the chipsets and the CPUs. I'd highly doubt that 2 of the biggest mobo manufacturers in MSI and ASUS are lying to us

Either way, I'm out of luck as I bought a 700 series and an OEM version of win7 =(
April 11, 2011 12:00:51 AM

^^ the MSI/asus statements, iirc, were released on april fool's day. At least that's when I read and saw them posted.
April 11, 2011 4:33:55 AM

the Asus one has been around a long time
a c 127 à CPUs
April 11, 2011 5:39:51 AM

Timop said:
:non: 
http://event.msi.com/mb/am3+/images/02.gif
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

That isnt what Asus and MSI are saying, seems a little late to be an late/early April fools joke to me.

From what I have read from Asus, they basically activate more pins in the AM3 socket (the ones that BD needs and will be in AM3+) which in essence means its a AM3+ socket.

Considering that AM3 CPUs will work in AM3+ its a sign that the pin layout is the same as are the voltage setup.

It is still yet to be seen but when BD hits it will tell all.
April 11, 2011 6:40:33 AM

This again shows BD will be an epic fail.A company will only do such silly thing, when they know that there upcoming product cannot compete with its competitor's product.Only way they can sell BD is by making it backward compatible so that current phenom owners can do a cheap upgrade.Intel will never do such thing becoz they know there products rules.
April 11, 2011 7:22:51 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
This again shows BD will be an epic fail.A company will only do such silly thing when they know that there upcoming product cannot compete with its competitor's product.Only way they can sell BD is by making it backward compatible so that current phenom owners can do a cheap upgrade.Intel will never do such thing becoz they know there products rules.

NAWT!
April 11, 2011 11:29:35 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
This again shows BD will be an epic fail.A company will only do such silly thing when they know that there upcoming product cannot compete with its competitor's product.Only way they can sell BD is by making it backward compatible so that current phenom owners can do a cheap upgrade.Intel will never do such thing becoz they know there products rules.

Or...

they're offering a system upgrade without the need to buy an entire new platform. What a novel idea! You mean I don't have to buy a new motherboard, chipset and CPU from the same manufacturer every time they decide to release a new CPU? crazy talk...
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 12:27:37 PM

^^ And thats why even the latest Phenom II chips barely outperform the aged Core 2 Quads [8000/9000 series].

I'm more bothered by the fact AMD and its partners seem to be on totally different wavelengths on this one...
April 11, 2011 1:33:46 PM

AMD could have easily made couple of billons more if BD was entirely based on a new platform.Now just imagine why they decided to go against that idea.When the damm thing releases anyway.
a c 117 à CPUs
April 11, 2011 2:07:17 PM

AND .....

another BD-Z thread goes down in flames !

We need a 'tote-board' to tally all the fear and desperation :D 

April 11, 2011 3:17:07 PM

why does every damn BD thread end up in being a flame war, always someone bashing it and someone defending it :/ 
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 4:19:17 PM

May i ask where did you get the Bulldozer chip pic?
I dont think this news has any good leading evidence.
April 11, 2011 4:35:28 PM

click the source link i have in the OP at the bottom.
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 4:43:58 PM

What the?not sure about the source but it has some form of reliability.Hope its real.
April 11, 2011 7:47:09 PM

well they have been reliable before with the early sandy benches atleast.
April 11, 2011 8:12:08 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
What the?not sure about the source but it has some form of reliability.Hope its real.

The pic of the actual CPU doesn't matter much, when now 3 (recently asrock is selling am3 mobos as am3+ mobos as well) are selling am3 mobos as am3+ compatible. So I think it's safe to assume that msi, asus and now asrock aren't wrong on that front.

It is worrying, though, to hear AMD saying one thing and now these manufacturers saying another. I'd be willing to bet there may be some drawbacks to dropping in a bulldozer into an 800 series am3 mobo. Either that or AMD has backtracked and hasn't told anyone but the manufacturers :p 
a c 127 à CPUs
April 12, 2011 4:13:44 AM

pelov said:
The pic of the actual CPU doesn't matter much, when now 3 (recently asrock is selling am3 mobos as am3+ mobos as well) are selling am3 mobos as am3+ compatible. So I think it's safe to assume that msi, asus and now asrock aren't wrong on that front.

It is worrying, though, to hear AMD saying one thing and now these manufacturers saying another. I'd be willing to bet there may be some drawbacks to dropping in a bulldozer into an 800 series am3 mobo. Either that or AMD has backtracked and hasn't told anyone but the manufacturers :p 

As I said, they are activating pins. AM3 is 941 pins with 938 active (for AM3 CPUs) while AM3+ is supposed to be 942 pins with 941 active (for BD). The layout HAS to be the same for a AM3+ CPU to support a AM3 CPU. Therefore Asus and the others activating the extra 3 pins will allow BD to run in it.

As for the chipsets supporting BD is a different story. They may work but there may be a down side as well. There could be performance losses since those chipsets wont support the full array of featres BD has. It could not utilise their modul approach properly or a slew of many things.

The only thing we can truly do is wait and see when BD gets tested IF those mobos truly run and support BD with or without a performance loss. If its small it might be worth it. If its too much it wont be.
!